Hulu wiping out practically all anime from their service on June 1st, 2016

Started by DeusChex ^////^, May 27, 2016, 06:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
so, yeah...

i just found out about this today of all times.  For anybody who's using hulu for their anime watching, 200+ titles will be gone on June 1st, 2016. 

http://free-anime-expiring-on-hulu.tumblr.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4l0jyt/heads_up_dozens_of_anime_titles_are_expiring_from/

Thankfully, there are other legal streaming outlets for 99% of these.
If you were using Hulu exclusively for anime you were failing anyway.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Not exclusively, no.  I'd be foolish if I were.  But, I know there are people who do, so just spreading the word since most legal streaming don't announce this kinda stuff until a few days ahead of time.  Hulu, I know doesn't.  Apparently, they've been doing this kinda thing bit by bit for awhile and now.  But now, they're dropping some genres wholesale (when it comes to foreign shows) apart from a few to cut down costs for future projects.  I think I read somewhere that they're going to be broadcasting live shows starting in 2017, for example.

Heh.  It almost feels like ADV all over again.

Maybe now there'll be a little less flak to be had for torrenting fan subs, because at this rate the only ones left will be crunchy roll and funimation.

screw crunchyroll I use that watch anime shite site pretty good for dubs and subs

Oh, believe me - I don't like crunchy roll much myself.  These days they just seem to be an extension of Funimation.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Funi made a grab for crunchy, but I suspect they'll keep things platonic because Crunchy can't stream stuff for other outfits if they're owned by Funi.

I will give crunchy credit though.  It's a good way to see if a series is gonna be worth the bandwidth of downloading.

Quote from: BlackAeronaut on September 24, 2016, 05:59:21 AM
Oh, believe me - I don't like crunchy roll much myself.  These days they just seem to be an extension of Funimation.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Funi made a grab for crunchy, but I suspect they'll keep things platonic because Crunchy can't stream stuff for other outfits if they're owned by Funi.
Did you feel this way before the announcement?
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Well shit.  Me and my big mouth.

Honestly, I had no idea that announcement had gone out and it simply confirms my worst fears.  Calling it now - Crunchy will eventually cease to exist and there will only be Funimation.  I'm wondering why the Supreme Court isn't eyeballing this because back in the good old days you'd call something like this a 'Trust'.