OAV3 Blu-Ray Re-release coming in February

Started by جبريل 無道, January 27, 2017, 02:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://7net.omni7.jp/detail/1400665764

Stumbled upon this quite by accident at a Japanese store; looks like they are getting set to release OAV3 on Blu-Ray in February.  Cover art looks new to me.

Looks like they're including a family/relationship tree.  Hoping the picture is quite a bit better than the original release, the Funimation western version was already quite degraded compared to the Japanese region discs.

Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

been wanting a higher quality OVA 3 for a while now!

Oh yeah, somebody mentioned it in the chat last month.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on January 27, 2017, 06:21:41 PMhigher quality
Better than FUNi's DVD's, at least.  :smug:

It'll be an upscale of the original video, so it's better than nothing.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

January 28, 2017, 06:27:40 AM #3 Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:31:41 AM by جبريل 無道
Only an upscale?  It was my understanding that 1999 TMiL2 was the last traditionally animated Tenchi product and 2003's OAV3 was done digitally (that's why they only have 'Rilezu' cells vs actual ones), so like South Park a higher resolution version shouldn't be a problem.  Maybe?  Not sure ._.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Celluloid animation was usually shot in 16mm and 35mm, both of which are capable of resolutions greater than bluray. Technically even 8mm film is "comparable" to bluray, but just barely. The film 28 Days Later was shot on 8mm film, to give it a gritty look and later suffered on bluray because 8mm film is only good for around a 1000 vertical lines before peaking out.

Whereas early digital animation was only created in resolutions like 720x480 and 1024x540, leaving many companies to release dvd upscales as "blurays". Some 16:9 titles like PlanetES & FMA:Brotherhood were 1024x540 native, while Blue Submarine #6 & practically anything else created in 4:3 perspective are merely 720x480.

Being that OVA3 was created in 4:3 digital, expect the bluray to be nothing more than a shitty dvd upscale. I don't see AIC recreating any of the animation, like what was done with some bluray releases (Gundam SEED, for example), but at least it'll look better than that over-filtered mess Funi put out.

Is it me or does that cover art feel very reminiscent to early 90's Tenchi?

Quote from: Harls on January 28, 2017, 03:26:26 AM

Are you guys sure about that? What's the point in putting the effort to re-release this then?

Quote from: Monster Man on January 28, 2017, 09:19:18 PM
Quote from: Harls on January 28, 2017, 03:26:26 AM

Are you guys sure about that? What's the point in putting the effort to re-release this then?

Tons of Bandai bluray releases of older 4:3 perspective digital anime titles are mere dvd upscales. Even some bluray celluloid anime titles released aren't based off new transfers from the original masters. And in some cases, when they were last remastered the transfers weren't saved in higher resolution for future use.

For every SDF Macross (celluloid, proper bluray remaster) there's a Sailor Moon (celluloid remastered for dvd, dvd upscale). Evangelion had to be remastered at least twice, because the first time (Platinum/Renewal) they did not save a copy of the transfer in HD and episode 17 was lost or damaged, so the bluray had to use a dvd transfer for that episode.

Simply put, there's no reason to believe AIC would spend the money to redraw any of it. And as history has shown, none of that earlier digital anime was created in anything greater than 720x640. That said, I would love to be proven wrong. I just know better than to expect more.

BTW when OVA1/2 was released on bluray, which featured a new transfer, it retailed for a 1000USD. This is merely retailing for 75USD. That should give you an idea of how little effort AIC is putting behind this release.

January 29, 2017, 10:57:37 AM #7 Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:37:13 PM by Fap_fapperson
they should put an alternate version of ova 3 on the disk so you can push a button and watch ova 3 with noike digitally edited out. that would appease so many ppl.
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on January 29, 2017, 10:57:37 AM
they should put an alternate version of ova 3 on the disk so you can push a button and watch ova 3 with noike digitally edited. that would appease so many ppl.
And, Kajishima should pay to redub Patera Burchard into OVA3 because everyone knows his decision to animate OVA3 in celluloid left Funimation with a budget too small to pay Mrs Burchard. Tenchitrollem told me so. :parrot:

Quote from: shades of blue on January 29, 2017, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: Fap_fapperson on January 29, 2017, 10:57:37 AM
they should put an alternate version of ova 3 on the disk so you can push a button and watch ova 3 with noike digitally edited. that would appease so many ppl.
And, Kajishima should pay to redub Patera Burchard into OVA3 because everyone knows his decision to animate OVA3 in celluloid left Funimation with a budget too small to pay Mrs Burchard. Tenchitrollem told me so. :parrot:
[/quote :parrot: :parrot: :pcgamer: :pcgamer: :pcgamer: :pcgamer: :pcgamer: :pcgamer:
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here