Learning to Rip and encode Blue-rays

Started by Ricin, September 28, 2017, 07:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Does anyone know a good place to learn how to do these?

I am getting hit with tutorials with a lot of jargon.

Are you thinking MP4? The "ByteCopy" at www.multipelife.com is very efficient.

I want to have the highest quality encode. I am not tried to a particular format.

I might go mp4 or mkv

Well on the .jp retail sites I'm not seeing the encode quality (Mbps) just that it's a Region A on two Blu-Ray disks. More than likely not the latest and greatest if 90 minutes takes more than two layers. I would say to try an encode of 46 Mbps (which should squeeze in 24-bit color and about 25 fps of 1080p) on the rip quality.

Max quality when I tried OggTheora 720p30Hz was 62 Mbps which is only advised if the frames are very active. Anime traditionally has fewer pixels in motion; that also leaves out motionJPEG or AVI.  :duke:

Sorry. I do not have a drive or any discs currently. I want to know how to do this in the future. I am planning to get a new computer with a good Blu-ray drive to allow me to rip and encode future releases.

I forgot to add this to the OP. I am tired of relying on random ripping groups that do not always deliver.

That's fair, you'll want to look at the WebM format and how it's evolving to encode content suitable for gigabit fiber bandwidth.