Figures and Toys

Started by Ryo-Okay, March 04, 2018, 07:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I was browsing ebay and ended up looking at Tenchi toys. Why are they all so awful? How could anyone in there right mind look at these and think it was okay to sell them?

Why is even the art on the box disgusting? What kind of face is Tenchi supposed to be making here? This is the guy who ends up banging 7 hot alien babes on the regular? Come on now.

I think that anime merch in general was pretty bad for most series until the mid 2000's. These all came out around the late 90's to early 2000's which is a main reason why they look so shit. That and I think since Tenchi wasn't on the level of Dragonball, Sailor Moon, or other hugely popular franchises at the time so toy makers didn't really put forth the effort on it.

Even the oldest Nendo I have in my collection doesn't look as bad as any of the merch pictured here. For reference;

This is not a sig, it's a Sandwich.

i have the mcfarlane tenchi its actually that hideous but his light hawk wings protect my bedroom from thots. so i can't complain
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Ryokos Stepdad on March 04, 2018, 08:04:03 PM
I think that anime merch in general was pretty bad for most series until the mid 2000's. These all came out around the late 90's to early 2000's which is a main reason why they look so shit. That and I think since Tenchi wasn't on the level of Dragonball, Sailor Moon, or other hugely popular franchises at the time so toy makers didn't really put forth the effort on it.

Actually, even Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon's merch was shit in those days. My brothers and sisters and I had oh so much of it. I still have those chibi sets, even the third set you didn't picture, the one with Ryoko, Mihoshi, and Nagi, and that one is even worse.

If you wanted better figures you often had to get "garage kits" and paint them yourself! Young geeks don't know how good they have it!

I picked up the McFarlane Ryoko and the Electronics Boutique repaint at a flea market in the late 00's.
Not having ever seen a Tenchi toy before and it being several years since the show stopped airing in the states, I thought it was gorgeous.
These days, I occasionally look at it hanging in my closet and wonder who the hell approved that Ryo-Ohki?
The Chibis aren't too bad for what they are, in my opinion. I'd love to have the Washu and Sasami one just for desk ornaments.

But the only GOOD toys I've seen were Ayeka and at least Ryoko, maybe there's a Tenchi too, and they had cloth outfits and came in a box stylized after Azaka and Kamidake. I think Toynami made them?

Weren't there Cabbit plushies? That would make more sense.

Quote from: Monster Man on March 05, 2018, 11:23:19 PM
Weren't there Cabbit plushies? That would make more sense.
I know I've seen them, at least in old video game magazines.
I've got a Ryo-Ohki keychain, that came with the first VHS of the OVAs.

It's definitely the best bit of merchandise I've got, since it isn't cock-eyed for starters.

March 06, 2018, 05:25:33 PM #7 Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:47:54 PM by Gonbawa
Quote from: Ryokos Stepdad on March 04, 2018, 08:04:03 PM

Even the oldest Nendo I have in my collection doesn't look as bad as any of the merch pictured here. For reference;

Tenchi Muyo was produced by Pioneer to promote their hot new laserdisc players (that's why it's so colorful). Selling toys was not their goal. 
And I would not call some Cartoon Network horrible toys.. figs... things "anime merch".  ;-)

...nice Ryo-Ohki keychain Dagor !

The Toynami dolls Dagor mentioned did indeed have a Tenchi in the line, I own them all and they are not as good as you remember. They are all wall-eyed and Aeka has cat eyes for some reason. They have great articulation but cannot stand unassisted and don't come with stands. Also, Tenchi's hair is not textured, so its smooth all around. But I'll say the Ryo-Ohki that Ryoko comes with is pretty neat, and the clothes are well done.

Haha I have that Ryo-Ohki keychain too, as well as the Mihoshi from the set. I also have one of the Ryo-Ohki plushes Monster Man asked about! And one of those weird character hats of Ryo-Ohki with the eyes, ears, and gem! And two complete sets of decent Japanese gashapon figures including Ryoko, Aeka, Noike, Kiriko, Elma, and Amane in beachwear, as well as Ryoko in her battle suit, Aeka in her underclothes, Tsunami in beachwear, and Kiriko, Amane, and Ryoko Balta in their standard outfits from the GXP anime. NYOHOHOHOHO!

Now I'm waiting on garage kits of Misaki and Funaho, so I'll have nice chibi figurines of the queens! One of my friends even agreed to paint them for me!

Almost all of my Tenchi merch has been presents from friends and family, harhar!

Quote from: Y_Anthony_Who on March 06, 2018, 11:12:32 PM
The Toynami dolls Dagor mentioned did indeed have a Tenchi in the line, I own them all and they are not as good as you remember. They are all wall-eyed and Aeka has cat eyes for some reason. They have great articulation but cannot stand unassisted and don't come with stands. Also, Tenchi's hair is not textured, so its smooth all around. But I'll say the Ryo-Ohki that Ryoko comes with is pretty neat, and the clothes are well done.

Haha I have that Ryo-Ohki keychain too, as well as the Mihoshi from the set. I also have one of the Ryo-Ohki plushes Monster Man asked about! And one of those weird character hats of Ryo-Ohki with the eyes, ears, and gem! And two complete sets of decent Japanese gashapon figures including Ryoko, Aeka, Noike, Kiriko, Elma, and Amane in beachwear, as well as Ryoko in her battle suit, Aeka in her underclothes, Tsunami in beachwear, and Kiriko, Amane, and Ryoko Balta in their standard outfits from the GXP anime. NYOHOHOHOHO!

Now I'm waiting on garage kits of Misaki and Funaho, so I'll have nice chibi figurines of the queens! One of my friends even agreed to paint them for me!

Almost all of my Tenchi merch has been presents from friends and family, harhar!

I had the gxp gashapon in middleschool and boy... did they suck major balls. I was so dissapointed i had amane and kriko and amane had no neck and kiriko looked brainded.... and there were extra parts and missing parts and like.... it was bad
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here