Tenchi Universe & Tenchi in Tokyo "Remastered"

Started by Kuugen, April 10, 2018, 05:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 10, 2018, 05:33:32 AM Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:40:32 AM by Kuugen
Partly inspired by EcchiOujisama's work on revamping DUAL! I was able to get a hold of R2J DVD RAWS for both TV series which are decent upgrades over the transfers used for the US release which I then muxed with the R1 English dub+subs. You can grab them on Nyaa (ID# 1025135 & 1025138). Unless a miracle occurs and BD remasters for each series are announced, this is probably as good as things are going to get.

Universe was something of a hackjob, for example they cut out the eye-catch just in episode 4 for some reason in the R1 release.
Also remember this? This tense and exciting sequence of the Yagami being tailed by the Jurian Royal Space fleet in episode 25?
No, you don't?
OF COURSE NOT, BECAUSE THEY REMOVED IT FROM THE R1 DVDs!!!1
:damn: :orks:  :orks: :son:
So I had to manually cut and edit the audio track to synch and restore the dub/subs with the original video.

With respect to Tokyo, yes the video is an upscale. But that's how the original RAWs were presented. If I had access to source files, I might be able to do better. I also went ahead and borrowed fansubs from Tenchiforums.com and retimed them to the DVD RAW of the Omake episode with some minor translation fixes (apparently the source before was a Laser Disc?). The results are a monumental increase in quality. See comparison here.

Anyway, now it's time for a nice relaxing break.

P.S. Amagasaki rules, Yugi/Sakuya was a better interloping girl than Yuzuha or Haruna, and Universe Kiyone > Noike

Good work.  :bravo:
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

now I have a reason to watch these shows again.

Thanks.

Any chance of Pretty Sammy being remastered?  More the 3 episode OAV, rather than 26 episode Magical Project S.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Awesome, dude. This feels like a nice balance of things.

am i the only one who prefers anime de-masterd... i watch it all in 140p if i can.... makes me feel like the good old days of vhs animu
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote140p

That's RealVideo resolution. And we liked it!
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on April 10, 2018, 08:56:29 AM
Thanks.

Any chance of Pretty Sammy being remastered?  More the 3 episode OAV, rather than 26 episode Magical Project S.
If you or anyone else can dig up some source files to work with, I'm game.

Quote from: Kuugen on April 10, 2018, 05:33:32 AM
With respect to Tokyo, yes the video is an upscale. But that's how the original RAWs were presented. If I had access to source files, I might be able to do better. I also went ahead and borrowed fansubs from Tenchiforums.com and retimed them to the DVD RAW of the Omake episode with some minor translation fixes (apparently the source before was a Laser Disc?). The results are a monumental increase in quality. See comparison here.

Odd, I had assumed that they subtitled that using the 10th anniversary box set, cause at least one forum member has a copy. Maybe they just did a shitty job encoding it.

Quote from: Kuugen on April 12, 2018, 09:48:33 AM

Thanks.

I have the R2 copy of the Sammy OVAs. If you're able to rip the disc and encode it, I should be able to make you a copy or even send you my original, provided you do not mind shipping it back after. BTW asiandvdclub has R2 ISOs of Universe & Tokyo.

Quote from: shades of blue on April 12, 2018, 02:45:40 PM
Quote from: Kuugen on April 10, 2018, 05:33:32 AM

Odd, I had assumed that they subtitled that using the 10th anniversary box set, cause at least one forum member has a copy. Maybe they just did a shitty job encoding it.

Quote from: Kuugen on April 12, 2018, 09:48:33 AM

Thanks.

I have the R2 copy of the Sammy OVAs. If you're able to rip the disc and encode it, I should be able to make you a copy or even send you my original, provided you do not mind shipping it back after.
:iron: If you could provide an ISO copy/VOB files on MEGA/torrent or something,
I'll be more than happy to transparently encode it and retime/mux subs and the dub in for a release.

BTW asiandvdclub has R2 ISOs of Universe & Tokyo.
Not a member on ADC (wanted to be for a long time though), but if I could get those R2 ISOs I'll (re)do both TV series.

:sus: :fuck: :aaa:
I-is that an R1 or R2 DVD of Photon?
I've had either getting the R2J or Discotek re-release of it on my project wish-list for awhile.

Also I see you have the Tenchi Muyo! Radio Jukebox CD set among what looks like others... :pcgamer:
I was going to wait a bit longer to make this as a separate thread, but I and another user on BakaBT have been
working on a Complete Tenchi Franchise Music Collection  for a while (I started in earnest about 7 months ago).
To make a long story short, we're currently up to about ~115/146 CDs in total completed.
You can see our relative progress with this index spreadsheet.
CD information database.

In your stack of jewel cases, might you (or anyone else for that matter) have any of the following discs?
[spoiler]Catalog No.                             Album Title
VPBY-11764                            天地無用!の内祝~とは言うものの、いつになるんだOVA~
VPBV-11806                            天地無用!魎皇鬼 第三期3 おまけCD ラヂオ天地 special issue (後悔日誌part3)
VPBV-11807                            天地無用!魎皇鬼 第三期4 おまけCD ラヂオ天地 special issue (後悔日誌part4)
PIDA-1037                              夢はどこへいった                               
PICA-1158                              愛と由美のはあぁ裏天地! in 北海道                             
PICA-1101                              天地無用! ラジオ電影箱 ミステリーch.
PICA-1106                              天地無用! ラジオ電影箱 アクションch.
PICA-1034                              天地無用!魎皇鬼CDスペシャル2 太陽系七つの秘湯
LPR-221                                 魔法少女プリティサミー 死闘!サミー対101匹モンスター軍団
LPR-333                                 ラジオ秘密の天地無用! リバイバル 完結メモリアルCDシングル
PICA-1133                              プリティサミーのマジカル・ナイト CD Special 2 PART 3
PICA-1073                              A-B-Chisa / 横山智佐
AV00463                                 天地無用!番外編スペシャルドラマ 「そして歳月は流れて...」 [カセットテープ]
PIJA-1001                               天地無用!~真冬の夏祭り~
70067A                                   秘密の天地無用! ダイエット番長ラブソング
PAC-N04                                「天地無用」& 「神秘の世界エルハザード」 オリジナルCDドラマ "蔵出し"
PAC-N05                                 PAC5年目突入記念企画 お祝いメッセージ特集
PICA-1207                              横山智佐 Best Selection
VPCC-81627                            Celebration / 加賀美セイラ (Regular Edition)
PICA-1162                              漫謡集~枯堂夏子作品集~白
LXAICT-488-2                         天地無用! 魎皇鬼 第四期 1巻 ドラマCD
LXAICT-489-2                         天地無用! 魎皇鬼 第四期 2巻 ドラマCD
LXAICT-490-2                         天地無用! 魎皇鬼 第四期 3巻 ドラマCD
LXAICT-491-2                         天地無用! 魎皇鬼 第四期 4巻 ドラマCD
ISBN4-04-700191-0                新・天地無用!佐久耶の告白 小さな恋人                             
ISBN4-04-700197-X                新・天地無用!砂沙美の祈り 半径10メートルの愛                               
ISBN4-04-700215-1                新・天地無用!魎呼のこころ ふりむけば霊体離脱

PICA-1111          天地無用! ラジオ電影箱 時代劇ch.
PICA-1078          天地無用! ラジオ幕ノ内弁当 和風
PICA-1081          天地無用! ラジオ幕ノ内弁当 洋風
PICA-1087          天地無用! ラジオ幕ノ内弁当 中華風
TG-01                 天地無用!Premium Disc 1
8122-P               ラヂオ天地ファンディスク 正木霧恋の天地めんたるジャーニー
PICD-1003A        Chisa and the Heaven and Earth Band Live in LA
PICD-1001A        Christopher Franke Original Soundtrack from ''Tenchi the Movie'' Tenchi Muyo in Love
PICA-1097          劇場版 天地無用! in LOVE オリジナル・サウンドトラック/クリストファー・フランク
TODT-5021         真夏のイブ
PICA-1035          恋愛の才能 / 横山智佐
PICA-1140          マジカル・ファンタジー・ワールド
PIDA-1012          Tenchi Muyo! OVA Best Volume 2
PIDA-1022          電波の海原 / 高田由美, 折笠 愛
PICA-1118          折笠愛「ROOM SERVICE」
PICA-1116          天地無用!登校無用 オリジナル・サウンドトラック
PICA-1084          MEET THE TENCHI-MUYO
PICL-1090          天地無用! SONIA WONDERLAND
PIDA-1020          恋愛の時空 / 折笠 愛
PICD-1010A        The Tenchi Universe Soundtrack
ASCA-5002         折笠愛「LeTTeR」
ASCA-5004         折笠愛 mono-gatari
ASCA-5005         折笠愛 Tender Song
COCC-13347       折笠愛「ムーンライトカフェ」
COCC-14165       折笠愛「折笠愛/みつめて」
MECH-18001       横山智佐 MINI BEST
PICA-1058          淑女超特級 折笠愛
PICA-1177          折笠愛「I」
PICA-1090          ACTRESS~朝倉薫 演劇団劇中歌 ベストセレクション~[/spoiler]

April 14, 2018, 04:04:51 PM #11 Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:09:04 PM by Kuugen
Quote from: shades of blue on April 13, 2018, 01:33:18 PM
When I get some free time, I'd try to convert it to an ISO, split it into a 500mb archive and up it to Mega, but it'll take a long time til I've got it uploaded because my upload speed is pure shit. I hate my ISP. It's simply much easier for me to mail you the disc.
Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I don't mind the wait at all. :worship:
You could also just torrent the ISOs or IFO folder(s) and I'll let you know when I've got'em.
I just get nervous in the chance that they'd get lost in the mail, either sending or on return.

EcchiOujisama or DrSoviet may have the rips, in which one of them could upload the ISOs to Mega, for you. Which would save me a lot of headache.
I'll ask them.

I can look, but I'm not even sure what I do and do not have, as a large chunk of that came from a fellow collector, who sent me most of his collection before he passed away. :swave:
BTW I believe Jibril has a large chunk of the CDs too. So you may wanna touch base with her too.
Sorry to hear that. If you can post a pic(s) of what CDs you have, I can ID them for you and tell if we're missing any of them.

May 12, 2018, 08:43:07 AM #12 Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:13:03 AM by Mr. Kimiko
I can get you the R2 DVD ISOs if you want, cuz I'm sorry I don't like versions that you did.

I'm working on the Tenchi Canon Series mainly.

Quote from: Mr. Kimiko on May 12, 2018, 08:43:07 AM
I can get you the R2 DVD ISOs if you want, cuz I'm sorry I don't like re-encodes that you did.

I'm working on the Tenchi Canon Series mainly.
That would be excellent.

I sent you a PM.

If you need anything just ask.

(I just hope I live to see the day when all the GXP Novels are in English or a reboot based on them is made.)