"Tenchi should choose one girl" vs "Don't break the harem" discussion

Started by Empress of Jurai, February 16, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: takahata on February 18, 2013, 06:29:43 PM
There is a slight chance that the girl who is going to become Tenchi's first wife has not been introduced. 

I hope not, sweet baby Jesus.

Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 18, 2013, 08:50:14 PM
There is a slight chance that the girl who is going to become Tenchi's first wife has not been introduced. 

I personally think its highly unlikely. Kaji might introduce some girl who has the hots for Tenchi, but not anyone who's gonna become a serious piece in the harem. It isn't really his style to just add someone completely new like that without any hints, a introduction in a doujin or even a picture.

I think we would have at least seen a picture by now, we saw Noike 20 years ago.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 18, 2013, 10:17:14 PM
Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 18, 2013, 08:50:14 PM

I personally think its highly unlikely. Kaji might introduce some girl who has the hots for Tenchi, but not anyone who's gonna become a serious piece in the harem. It isn't really his style to just add someone completely new like that without any hints, a introduction in a doujin or even a picture.

I think we would have at least seen a picture by now, we saw Noike 20 years ago.

I do agreed with you. Following one of the rules of the Harem genre, the other girl in Tenchi's life was one of his best friends. Tenchi and this friend have a strict platonic relationship.  In the Tenchi Muyo manga "No Need for Tenchi," there was a chapter in which Tenchi had a childhood friend.  I forgot the name of this female friend.

I do like the ideal of another girl becoming a part of the harem.  I will rather leave my view of this girl to the realm of fanfiction.

Wooo! Got busy doing other stuff that I haven't checked the forums in a while. And I see I missed a discussion about harems and whether or not Tenchi should choose one.

Well, since most people here agree, I'll join the majority. XD

In this particular case, it would be much better if Tenchi kept the harem intact. While yes, there is the consideration of not pissing off a portion of the fanbase if he did choose (which is why a lot of series, there is no choice. Even if, let's say the main character was forced to choose, usually the option is obvious), this is the Tenchiverse we're talking about. It was already shown that polygamy is accepted in this universe. It would certainly work with Tenchi and so, since Tenchi doesn't show a preference to one girl, it won't be a stretch that he would be with more than one.

Unlike say Nyan Koi. Which, as much as I hate to say it, the main character in that series has to choose one girl, and, I want him to choose one girl. And the mangaka himself made sure a harem choice isn't an option to ever be considered. Which is fine. I'll accept that. My problem, and a problem I have with a lot of so-called 'harem' type series, the main heroine that the main character usually winds up choosing, is the one I thought was boring. I honestly don't mind the main character choosing a girl. It's just the girl they choose that I have a problem with. This is made worse when it feels like the main character has tunnel vision and only sees one possibility for himself. Instead of seeing the other girls as a choice (in other words, it's an illusion of a love triangle. Not a true one). It makes the other girls feelings feel... well, irrelevant. And that is terrible IMO.

Now back to Tenchi, as for how a harem relationship will work, this is probably where it gets tricky. I mean with multiple girls, we're talking stuff like schedules and stuff just so each girl can have their time with Tenchi. And given the different ages and maturity, that also comes into play. One of the reasons why say, fanfiction versions of a harem relationship fails is that, in those stories, they completely butcher the characterization in order to get the sex part of the relationship to work. I mean no cat fights over who gets what time? Everyone accepts that they are in this type of relationship, and doesn't even try to become 'top d... um, girl' here? No tension whatsoever? Don't think so.

Even the end of Tenchi GXP implies that won't be the case. I know the multiple marriage was done for political reasons (maybe a reason why Tenchi himself would be with multiple girls in a marriage as well?) but that won't stop the girls from fighting for who gets Seina. :P

tl;dr

Basically Tenchi is one of the series where not only is a harem end acceptable, it's actually preferable. I can't even say the same for other so-called harem series. As for how it would work, that is a bit trickier.

One of the biggest problems which Tenchi is going to have will involve children.  If Tenchi follows the normal trend regarding marriage in Japan, he will be getting married between 1999 and 2002.  The Astronerdboy timeline states that Tenchi is supposed to have his first child or first two  children to be born during the year 2004. Kenshi would have known about being a young uncle before he was sent to Genimar.

:payup:

I found read the No Need for Tenchi manga.  The name of Tenchi's childhood friend in Hiwi.  Hiwi is a typical childhood friend.  (spoiler) Tsunami was able to help Hiwi out.

Quote from: SimmyC on February 26, 2013, 03:23:22 AMNow back to Tenchi, as for how a harem relationship will work, this is probably where it gets tricky. I mean with multiple girls, we're talking stuff like schedules and stuff just so each girl can have their time with Tenchi. And given the different ages and maturity, that also comes into play. One of the reasons why say, fanfiction versions of a harem relationship fails is that, in those stories, they completely butcher the characterization in order to get the sex part of the relationship to work. I mean no cat fights over who gets what time? Everyone accepts that they are in this type of relationship, and doesn't even try to become 'top d... um, girl' here? No tension whatsoever? Don't think so.

Basically Tenchi is one of the series where not only is a harem end acceptable, it's actually preferable. I can't even say the same for other so-called harem series. As for how it would work, that is a bit trickier.

Eventually, I'd like the girls to get the idea that it's not Tenchi has 11 (or whatever the final tally is) wives and they have 1 husband.... but that Tenchi has 11 wives, they each have 1 husband and 10 wives for 11 spouses total.  I'd like to see the girls get speshal gyrlfrends within the harem and with Tenchi encouraging it.  That way it becomes a more level relationship.

I don't enjoy the fandom's traditional yuri though, I want to see Ayeka and Washu together and Mihoshi and Ryoko, rather than the usual fandom stuff.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

It's time when watching other shows where it really makes you appreciate the option Kaji has presented us. As I'm sure most of you know, a few of us here are currently watching the anime Boku Wa Tomodachi NEXT, or as some know as Haganai NEXT...

Well, in full dramatic romance show swing, the episode this week did something that pretty much shocked some of the viewers (who don't expect much from harem most of the time). We always get a case of the Harem male lead being dense as a door nob or a straight up perv he gets scared when a real situation arrives. Well here, we have our male lead Kodaka who through one of his harem members confronting him privately, lets the viewer know that not only does he KNOW of his female friends feelings, he's PURPOSELY acting ignorant as if he doesn't know, or when they make advances on him, he purposely acts as if he didn't hear them.

He does this because he was an outcast, and after finally finding friends, he doesn't want to ruin all the bonds and connections he's made with these girls if he chose one, as the others would no doubt be upset and probably distance themselves from him.

As we've had this thread up for about a week now, it automatically made me think of this conversation and Tenchi's handle on the situation. Luckily, Tenchi was gifted the option of being Juraian nobility, but what if that wasn't the case? It puts in better perspective how he has avoided any kind of romantic contact in favor of wanting to keep his new found family together and not distanced because of romantic drama. Normally you can say, "well, they'll get over it", but what happens when you have situations like Kodaka's and Tenchi's where these girls not only like you, but are pretty emotionally dependent on you but want you to choose?

Harem can be awesome as far as fantasy fulfillment, but in reality can be a very big hassle and bring a lot of heartache. Especially when you don't want to lose someone close who would possibly get rejected...Add to the fact you will NEVER please everyone (Looking at you Shuffle)

So basically...

THANK YOU KAJISHIMA FOR THE HAREM OPTION!!!

QuoteHarem can be awesome as far as fantasy fulfillment, but in reality can be a very big hassle and bring a lot of heartache. Especially when you don't want to lose someone close who would possibly get rejected...Add to the fact you will NEVER please everyone (Looking at you Shuffle)

This.

It's why Tenchi is, in many ways, the exception to many 'harem' stories. While I already mentioned the reason in my previous reply, the point is still relevant. Kajishima made it possible for a harem ending to happen. Other 'harem' stories, no. No choice endings might be because the creator didn't want to piss off ______ fanbase, but most of those stories, it feels like a copout because it is. They don't have the benefits that Tenchi has where the choice isn't simply A, B, or C, but also, A, B, AND C. Nyan Koi, which I mentioned before, made it clear that choice A and B is actually, no choice through an analogy that the character witnessed. Where the main character not choosing, turns into the main character losing both.

Your analyze is great TR, but maybe you should had wait for the ending. Maybe it would have a twist in the two final episodes that would change the situation.

Tenchi Muyo's twist: Tenchi can see dead people.  Kagato killed everyone on earth in episode 6, and set Tenchi down on a dead earth to wallow in his misery.  Tenchi went insane, keeps playing hero, planting carrots and imagining everyone afterward living happily ever after.

We see him dressing up the skeletons of the girls for the harem wedding at the end.... :woot: :woot: :woot:

Something like that, Gaston?
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on March 19, 2013, 07:22:16 PM
Tenchi Muyo's twist: Tenchi can see dead people.  Kagato killed everyone on earth in episode 6, and set Tenchi down on a dead earth to wallow in his misery.  Tenchi went insane, keeps playing hero, planting carrots and imagining everyone afterward living happily ever after.

We see him dressing up the skeletons of the girls for the harem wedding at the end.... :woot: :woot: :woot:

Something like that, Gaston?

wat

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on March 19, 2013, 07:22:16 PM
:staredog: :staredog: :staredog:

(Yes, that is Jibs in this pic)