You are Here:
What Anime are you currently watching?

Author (Read 3054 times)

Re: What Anime are you currently watching?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »

WarOmnimon

• Members
  • Incoming mixups? Incoming mixups.
Checking in and giving my thoughts on what I'm watching in the Spring 2018 season.  First, I should list off what I'm watching.

-High School DxD Hero
-Persona 5
-My Hero Academia Season 3
-Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
-Fist of the Blue Sky Regenesis
-Golden Kamuy
-Megalo Box

Now, my thoughts on each one.  I like all 7 shows here, but I feel that Golden Kamuy is the weakest of the bunch and I will get to that soon enough.

-Don't let DxD Hero's changed art style (Which is because they changed studios because BorN's ending went WAAAY too far off canon; Hero episode 0 is basically canon based damage control) turn you away from it.  It's still everything we love about DxD (Well, except the second half of BorN, anyway).  The Kyoto arc (Which just ended) was awesome.  Kunou is a good addition to the cast (FINALLY we get youkai in DxD), and the decisive battle of this arc was VERY satisfying.  Not gonna spoil it because it involves characters that weren't noted before coming in (Not just Issei's new powerup), but let's put it this way... a curbstomp for a curbstomp.  Can't wait for the Rating Game between Rias and Sairaorg (That's what the second half of Hero will be, by the way).

-Persona 5... admittedly, there are some pacing issues here.  Not nearly as bad as Kamuy's, but there are pacing issues.  26 episodes or so and they needed the first 4 to finish Kamoshida (The first villain)?  COME ON BRUH.  This means one of two things; either we're getting a Season 2, or there's gonna be a rushed and shoddy ending.  I hope it's the former (Season 2).

-Academia Season 3.  I mean, it's Academia.  It's awesome.  Nuff said.

-GGO.  Even if you didn't like SAO (I understand the complaints everyone has about it), give GGO a chance.  It's set in the same canon / universe as SAO, but none of the characters from SAO itself show up.  Karen / Llenn is actually a much more relatable main protag than Kirito in so many ways.

-I'll say it now... I actually like Regenesis being all CG.  It reminds me of Guilty Gear Xrd and Dragon Ball FighterZ.  Kinda unique to have an anime like that.  I'm loving the consistent pace with both the fighting and the storytelling here.

-Kamuy.  Two words: PACING ISSUES.  This one's only gonna be 13 episodes or so.  7 episodes in... and there hasn't been ANY progress to the main plot.  As soon as Sugimoto and Asirpa got 2 of the tattoos (I think they have 2 right now)... no progress on the main plot whatsoever.  Shame.  It had a strong start and now it's slowing down something VERY fierce... something that can't be afforded when they're halfway done already.  We should be expecting a Season 2 here.

-Megalobox.  THIS ONE RIGHT HERE.  In my opinion, this is THE anime of the Spring 2018 season.  If you're not watching it... stop what you're doing and get started on it already!

"In this ongoing crisis we must stay the course, and not cut and run, in the face of resistance."
Current profile pic - Maryan
PSN - WarOnion316

Re: What Anime are you currently watching?
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »

WarOmnimon

• Members
  • Incoming mixups? Incoming mixups.
Okay, so after the past week or so of episodes, gonna chat a bit more and then note what I'm looking forward to in relates to Summer and Autumn 2018, hence the double post.  My watch list is still mostly the same right now, but I ended up dropping Persona 5.  Stuff happened elsewhere and I fell 3 episodes behind there, so... yeah.

(WARNING: This post transforms into more than a bit of a wall of text from here on out.)

Still enjoying all of what I'm watching, but yeah... Megalobox continues to prove itself as THE anime of this season every time a new episode is released.  On another note, Golden Kamuy, much to its credit, seems to finally be getting over its pacing issues... but guess what?  It's too little too late at this point given that we're only getting 12 episodes and this ended up happening in episode 8.  That's more than halfway through and a bit TOO close to the endgame for my liking; this means we're either getting a Season 2 (I REALLY hope this is what happens because there are some awesome ideas in this series, and the characters are plain awesome; Asirpa's goofier moments and the faces she makes during them are just plain smile inducing) or a rushed ending (If this happens, I'm gonna riot and yell "What a wasted opportunity!" at the top of my lungs).

As for the Summer 2018 season.  Only 2 seasonal shows really have my attention there, and those are Hi Score Girl and Grand Blue.  Zoids Wild is likely to be at least a 2 season deal like the seasons before it, so I'm not noting that one as a seasonal anime (I'll be watching it though).  I can't jump into most of Summer's offerings though, given that they are mostly sequels to shows I haven't even jumped into in full yet.  That means stuff like Attack on Titan Season 3 and Free!... nope, not caught up, so YOU'RE DISQUALIFIED!  My watch list there will probably be Hi Score Girl and Grand Blue Dreaming, and that's it (Zoids Wild and Ultraman R/B notwithstanding).

The good news is that this actually works to my benefit.  That'll give me the time I need to catch up on Sword Art Online (Yes, I am already aware that the second half of Season 1 brings some serious cringe in numbers, so I'm already bracing for impact), A Certain Magical Index (Along with A Certain Magical Railgun), and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney.  Gotta get caught up on those because SAO Season 3 and Phoenix Wright Season 2 are both confirmed for Autumn 2018, and we know that Index Season 3 is coming in 2018... which means given that Summer 2018's cards are already on the table, that's likely Autumn 2018 territory as well.

Let's close it out with my tentative watchlists for the next two seasons...

Summer 2018
-Hi Score Girl
-Grand Blue
-Zoids Wild
-Ultraman R/B (It's toku, not anime, but I've noted toku in my lists here before, SOOO...)
-"Warm and cozy catchup slot" (Basically means me going back and watching SAO, Index, Railgun, and Phoenix Wright)

Autumn 2018
-Sword Art Online Season 3 (And yeah, I am NOT looking forward to having to deal with SAO Season 1's second half in preparation for this)
-SSSS Gridman (OH MAN, I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to this one!)
-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney Season 2 (OBJECTION! :P )
-Hinomaruzumou (Hey, a sumo wrestling anime... this oughta be interesting!)
-A Certain Magical Index Season 3 (If it happens here... please let it happen here...!)

P.S. I'll say it one more time.  Index Season 3 is NOT confirmed for Autumn 2018, but it IS confirmed for 2018... so Autumn is likely where it will be.

"In this ongoing crisis we must stay the course, and not cut and run, in the face of resistance."
Current profile pic - Maryan
PSN - WarOnion316