Ask an Asian!

Started by Auir, August 22, 2012, 11:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anything you want! Post any questions you would have for an Asian and an Asian will answer it! Be it foods, habits, culture, language, etc. Anything you want!
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

Okay. Here goes.

Question:

Isn't this thread utterly asinine?
⚆_⚆

August 23, 2012, 06:21:28 AM #2 Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:26:09 AM by جبريل 無道
Hard to ask you any specific question without knowing where you are from.

So, what type of Asian are you?  (Personally, I'm hoping to get answers from a North Korean! ;D)

To reciprocate, I'm a midwestern American with French and German immigrant parents.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

What's the best way to make Asian women love me?

Quote from: Lоиεѕомεиεѕѕ on August 23, 2012, 04:55:30 AM
Okay. Here goes.

Question:

Isn't this thread utterly asinine?
Yep! I'm bored. >_>

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on August 23, 2012, 06:21:28 AM
Hard to ask you any specific question without knowing where you are from.

So, what type of Asian are you?  (Personally, I'm hoping to get answers from a North Korean! ;D)

To reciprocate, I'm a midwestern American with French and German immigrant parents.
For the sake of ethnicity and ancestry, I'm going to say Chinese.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on August 23, 2012, 12:03:40 PM
What's the best way to make Asian women love me?

Hmm... Well, it all depends on what kind of Asian women. And by kind I mean their personality not race.

Why do Chinese people like to eat fried bugs as snack food?
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

If you've ever been to America, what do you think of the "chinese" food here?

I can't believe that's what they have in china, every other person would be obese and have diabetes from all the sugar and fat in that stuff by the time they're 12.

Quote from: antvasima on August 24, 2012, 04:08:32 AM
Why do Chinese people like to eat fried bugs as snack food?
One, because it tastes good.
Two, it has nutrition and protein.
Three, in the past when there are massive droughts and famine, we eat what we can get.
And four, no I don't eat them. Nor do I ever want to, unless I have to.... Maybe a dare... By an uncle or someone... Most modern generation city folks won't.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on August 24, 2012, 11:42:16 AM
If you've ever been to America, what do you think of the "chinese" food here?

I can't believe that's what they have in china, every other person would be obese and have diabetes from all the sugar and fat in that stuff by the time they're 12.

I'm living in America. And the Chinese food here is well... No, that's not Chinese. >_> It's decent, but I rarely have it. I prefer going to the restaurants where it's cooked by a Chinese or Taiwanese chef.

And they do eat it, but it's not ALL across China. It's more of a regional food and it's not that common. In really urban areas, yes.

In Taiwan what kind of popular entertainment is popular?  North American, Japanese, European, Indian, Chinese, or Taiwanese?  Also, how similar is it to Hong Kong, in the mixture of culture?

Quote from: antvasima on August 25, 2012, 03:51:14 AM
In Taiwan what kind of popular entertainment is popular?  North American, Japanese, European, Indian, Chinese, or Taiwanese?  Also, how similar is it to Hong Kong, in the mixture of culture?
What kind of popular entertainment is popular? As in music and movies? ???
Pop music (Taiwanese) and American music is pretty popular. The Taiwanese friends I know simply fawn over zhou qin shi... -_-'
In the mix of culture... It's pretty similar to Hong Kong actually, excluding the British. The population mostly consists of Han descended Chinese, some aboriginals, and a small minority of Japanese. Mandarin is the national language but many people still speak Taiwanese. Many of the elderly or older generations still speak Japanese because of the Japanese occupation during WW2. Popular culture, it's heavily influenced by the West (U.S./European). The cities look no different from Los Angelos or the other heavily dense cities in the U.S. (in terms of buildings), except for all the Chinese banners and advertisement.

Well, do you prefer living in Taiwan or America?  Anything you miss?

I spent a lot of summers in Germany and France, and I absolutely miss the extensive bike/walking paths.  Here in the states (at least where I live, east coast, and where I grew up, midwest) I was liable to be run over when riding a bike.  Happened to a lot of my classmates who rode.  Makes walking easier too.

Oh, and that the MSM was much less prudish (naked pics in newspapers vs here the Janet Jackson stupidity at the superbowl).

I like not paying 20% sales/vat tax on everything here though :o

Is it 20% tax in the EU?

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on August 27, 2012, 10:54:37 AM
Well, do you prefer living in Taiwan or America?  Anything you miss?

I spent a lot of summers in Germany and France, and I absolutely miss the extensive bike/walking paths.  Here in the states (at least where I live, east coast, and where I grew up, midwest) I was liable to be run over when riding a bike.  Happened to a lot of my classmates who rode.  Makes walking easier too.

Oh, and that the MSM was much less prudish (naked pics in newspapers vs here the Janet Jackson stupidity at the superbowl).

I like not paying 20% sales/vat tax on everything here though :o

I prefer living in Taiwan. It has this 'homely' feeling to it even when I'm not at home. Well, actually I don't have a home there. >.> We lived in our grandparent's house before moving to America.

I miss the smells and sights there. The bustling street markets, the festivals, even the familiar exhaust of the scooters there. o.o I know it sounds weird but it smells nicer than the cars here. Here, it just makes me cough.
The people and the food. The tatami floors. Tall 50 story malls. The cheap prices. (Everything is like a third of the prices here, after conversion.) The billboards. Convenience stores. The bento guy on the train who would always come down the aisle yelling, 'ben dong! ben dong!'. The beautiful countryside while riding the train.
Ahh, all this typing is making me nostalgic. I want to go back home. T_T

Quote from: Darkness on August 27, 2012, 02:17:16 PM
Is it 20% tax in the EU?
... ??? Umm, there's dozens of countries in the EU... Corporate taxes range from 10-35%. Income taxes range from 10% to 50%. And VAT taxes are around 20% average.

You do make it sound nice.  50-story malls sounds outlandish for me though, but I live in a less metropolitan country.

Quote from: antvasima on August 28, 2012, 03:37:15 AM
You do make it sound nice.  50-story malls sounds outlandish for me though, but I live in a less metropolitan country.
Hmm, I may have exaggerated a little. But I do remember there being MANY multistory malls. Perhaps there is one, perhaps there isn't. The cities are packed and the only thing to do is to build up. I do know there is a 50 story mall in Japan though, it's really famous there.