This Might Get Tenchi LNs into the North American Market...

Started by BlackAeronaut, August 23, 2018, 01:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Guys.  Have any of you heard of these people?

https://j-novel.club/

Apparently, they're using a similar business model as Crunchyroll, only applied to LNs.  That is, they try to poach whatever LN releases are available for licensing in the USA, and then translate them as web releases.

Now, where it differs is in that they have two levels of subscription.  Regular members (at $4.95/mo or $54/yr) get to read the LNs on the web reader before they're published through the online retailers.  Premium members (at $10.95/mo or $120/yr) get that, plus a credit for one premium release per month.  (A premium release differs in that the ebook is non-DRM, high res, and has bonus content when it's available.)

Otherwise, the website is great because it lets non-paying users preview an LN series by letting you read a few volumes using their webreader...  which is really not terrible at all.  And then, if you like what you see, you can go ahead and purchase the ebook through a number of outlets that the JNC publishes through (Amazon, Apple iBooks, Kobo, B&N Nook).

My suggestion is that we go ahead and join up (I'm already there) and start (gently!) pushing for Tenchi LN translations.  In this way, we can FINALLY get this shit out onto the N. American market, and probably even further.  :woot:

Otherwise, another method is to get some of our people onto their translation team.  As far as I know, it's paying work, which beats the fuck out of doing it pro bono.  :ground:

Seven Seas already licensed the True Tenchi novels and they have a close relationship with J-Novel. Even if Seven Seas never intends on licensing more series there is no chance J-Novel would pick any up.

Goddamit, what the hell is up with these people licensing franchises they never intend to do a damn thing with?

Quote from: BlackAeronaut on August 24, 2018, 03:39:42 PM
Goddamit, what the hell is up with these people licensing franchises they never intend to do a damn thing with?

I wouldn't be suprised if they picked up GXP if true tenchi is sucessful... but if i can't get some kinda fun supportive role in the translation i am going to be hella salty
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here