[AiTM] The new "Tenchi Muyo" series is a Negishi created AU

Started by antvasima, August 01, 2014, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: antvasima on August 30, 2014, 12:37:22 AM
I sure hope that they don't try to sexualise Sasami. She is only 10-11 years old.

Stay away from Tenchi hentai...far far away.

I have confidence they won't "sexualize the Sasami", so to speak. They didn't really sexualize her at all in any of the original series except when she was in her adult form... but I can see why you might be concerned about it given some of the modern anime culture in Japan.

Well, thanks Ryu! Though, if by action you mean field trip time to Bitchū Matsuyama Castle and Raikyuuji, then yeah sure, plenty of "action".  I'd actually get a kick out of that given I'm into Japanese history a ton but... I have a feeling that's not what you mean.  ;) Maybe I'm expecting too little though.

"You're a naughty boy, aren't you, Tenchi?"  :swink:
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Jibri:
QuoteBut for an anime with 250 minutes (I'm guessing 225 minutes if 30 seconds combined for opener/credits), which comes out equivalent to 10 22.5 minute episodes = what exactly are they doing with such a huge cast?

Yause on ANN had this informative post:
It makes sense if we step back a year and consider this:
http://www.aplix-ip.com/​?​p=​4413

Let's see:

Production committee bypassed? Yes.

Advertising through anime? Sort of. The system is intended to attract print publishers, who would presumably commission a promotional short for their manga. However, the city of Takahashi (which is providing only partial funding) may be the best catch for now. Perhaps the iconic stature of Tenchi Muyo, along with the 20th anniversary tagline (pilgrimage time!), won them over.

Three animators dedicated to delivering all the animation for a single character (thus minimizing the number of corrections required to reconcile differences in character art)? Only AIC knows, but that could explain the large character cast. More characters means that they can further divide labor while maintaining a "three animators per character" rule.

I don't know what form the story will take, but I doubt it's as simple as taking ten cohesive 25 minute scripts and dividing them into five minute chunks. Perhaps it'll have more of a "comic strip" feel, with short, relatively contained scenarios told within an episode or two (but with an overarching conflict interwoven throughout).
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

@Jib/Harls: Is that... Sasami side boob. And I just saw that looking through the smilies. Clearly, I have been out of the loop for far too long if I cannot recognize these happening when they clearly did.

Though tbh, I never saw the whole "naughty boy" thing with Sasami as sexual, she was just being an annoying little sister teasing Tenchi. I may have read into it wrong though.

Oh and thank you for the crosspost. That sort of makes things make a bit more sense.

Boy I come home and I see this sent to me on Skype.

Here's what I'm thinking; we are about to witness an instance where having our cake and eating it might lead to Diabetes. We wanted the old girls; we got the old girls. But we also have new girls to contend with in five minute chunks. I don't know about you but if you subtract the OP and ED from a series like Muromi-san (which is already half-episodes) you still don't have much even with those seven minutes of actual animation and antics. But the story of that series is disjointed and non-episodic, like Space Dandy was (or is, I haven't caught up yet. Sue me.) You might squeeze an acceptable plot out of a tourism-related series this short, but can it be good? We're going to find out in a few months when this finishes airing.

Also interesting to me is the lack of Kiyone AND Noike(!) unless someone already mentioned this. I just skimmed the responses.
This is not a sig, it's a Sandwich.

Quote from: Ryokos Stepdad on August 30, 2014, 02:07:48 AMAlso interesting to me is the lack of Kiyone AND Noike(!) unless someone already mentioned this. I just skimmed the responses.

They should add both.  I don't think this series has enough characters yet.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Needs at least as many women as were in Isekai No Seikishi Monogatari.

In all seriousness,  :rwhy:

I hate this whole situation. This isn't Tenchi without MK to begin with. Then the character designs are awful and everyone looks like a whore. Such Disappointment.

:staredog:

So far, I've noticed that both shades of blue and Y_Anthony_Who consider them to be whores—that is, they look like whores. Surely everyone has their own opinions, but I have to wonder what about them makes them look like whores, whilst I've never seen a whore nor do I know what whores actually look like. By anime appearance or design alone, how could one tell? I'm so curious. As we all know, TM! characters appear without clothing now and then before and these alternative designs have clothing, so clothing doesn't seem to be the issue. What is the difference between this derivative design and the original design such that make some think of "whores"? What defines "whore" here? Is there some unwritten standard? Please excuse my curiosity, but I find this quite a dilemma. . .
⚆_⚆

It is actually the clothes. The clothes are the issue. Whores have a certain way of dressing, and now you know what that looks like.

"A certain way of dressing"? Well, that's rather vague. I want to understand your and other's perspectives. High heels, skirts, one-piece suits, stockings, body art or something? Still, unclear. So, if they appear without their clothing or nude, you won't consider them to be whores? O_o I'm so confused. It would be awesome if you, or anyone with a similar view, could somehow point out actual qualities of the characters that you think make them to be "whores."
⚆_⚆

I'll start by saying this is the weirdest question I've ever been asked. To begin with, everyone gets naked. I am sometimes naked and I do not look like a whore. It's hard for me to believe your confusion is sincere when you say weird things like that. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in case you are from another country and there's some culture gap going on.

In the United States, popular culture gives a sort of framework for how the traditional hooker looks. The high heels, the tats, the stockings, all of it combined creates the look of a stereotypical hooker. Any of the elements alone, or utilized better, would not  necessarily make them look like hookers. As it stands now, however, they are dressed in the 'slutty' fashion of your stereotypical streetwalker. In America, women who dress like that are often mocked by others for appearing 'trashy' or like 'skanks'.

For Buddha's sake, 'Washu' looks like she's straight-up wearing lingerie!

I'm passing the baton if anyone else wants to help.

Your whole first paragraph is weird. It's odd. I was not asking you personally. Think of the thread topic at hand.
I'm talking about the derivative character designs here.
It's still unclear to me, but I think I understand your stereotypical perspective. I appreciate the reply though.
⚆_⚆