"AIC, Toei Agency Sign Deal to Co-Own Megazone 23, Tenchi Muyo, etc"

Started by Kicksville, April 16, 2021, 12:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I watched Totally Not Mark's video on the topic. Toei was REALLY ugly in this. And yeah, it is shocking that YouTube actually did something right. At least he was large enough to get noticed and force YouTube to look into this.

Yes, it is unusual for YouTube. They are usually very censorship-happy. At least against any viewpoints that they find politically inconvenient for the elites.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Are Toei or AIC associated with NBC Universal?
I really don't know what this is...
https://youtu.be/nJg9G5NBmmU
...in my pants

Tenchi Muyo was produced by Pioneer Laser Disc Corporation, to provide content for their machines, using AIC.
Pioneer LDC changed its name to Pioneer Entertainment to distinguish itself from the electronics manufacturing division.
Pioneer Entertainment got spun sold off into its own company and was renamed Geneon Entertainment.
Universal bought Geneon Entertainment, NBC bought Universal, and then NBCU was acquired by Comcast.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

And did they only get into anime production "30 years ago"? That's the confusing thing to me...
In the context of this "anniversary," what happened with Pioneer/Geneon/Universal 30 years ago?
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on February 08, 2022, 04:09:58 PM
And did they only get into anime production "30 years ago"?
Yes.
Tenchi was Pioneer's first anime title.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Figured it was worth throwing my $0.02 into this because I'm a statistical nerd and all.

If we're talking about AIC, then they made several things before Tenchi Muyo!. To save you all a trip to Wikipedia, Bastard!!, Bubblegum Crisis, Burn Up!, Dangaioh, Detonator Orgun, Fight! Iczer One, Hades Project Zeorymer, Megazone 23, and Vampire Princess Miyu are all listed as their first episodes having been released before Tenchi OVA 1's first episode. And that's just counting a few of the OVAs, not one-shots, TV series, or movies. Also, AIC has been around since 1982, not 1992. So this year would be AIC's 40th anniversary (Albeit this year is, as has already been mentioned here by several people including myself, Tenchi's 30th). The Wikipedia article I referenced has lists of AIC's works (One each for TV shows, OVAs, and movies) that all come with a handy option to sort everything by first run start date so that you can piece everything together.

Now, if we're talking about anything that specifically falls under the Pioneer / Geneon / Universal banner, then yeah... that's something that Wikipedia isn't being a big help with. All my brain is registering from their article is that they mostly produced and distributed the laserdiscs, home videos, and so forth, but didn't actually make the shows, OVAs, etc. themselves. As such, that is a discussion I can't really jump into because I'd be as good as that annoying buzzing gnat flying around the discussion table because I wouldn't be able to contribute.

TLDR I can confirm that Tenchi isn't AIC's first work specifically, but I can't vouch for which of AIC's works would be the first to fall under the Pioneer / Geneon / Universal banner, because that I legitimately have no clue about, LOL.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

I just wanted to update with some interesting news that was announced earlier this month:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/02/13-1/godzilla-evangelion-ultraman-and-kamen-rider-to-collaborate-in-shin-japan-heroes-universe-project

This collaborative includes Toei Animation. I think there is huge potential here.

Assuming the co-own deal makes progess and does make a launch of something Tenchi related, will there be release of a manga/novel before working on animation?

Quote from: thebritwriter on March 23, 2022, 06:13:23 PM
Assuming the co-own deal makes progess and does make a launch of something Tenchi related, will there be release of a manga/novel before working on animation?

Prolly not, I don't think Toei does that very often.

OVA is back on funimation. They are starting to transition the shop to Crunchy roll but they still have the funimation streaming going. Weird.
They live. We sleep.

I think they may be obligated to continue streaming any ongoing shows that they were already showing (One Piece) and double up on some stuff just so it doesn't look like the One Piece channel. It seems they can't just transfer everything over immediately
This is the list of what's been added to CR: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/03/01/funimation-titles-now-available-on-crunchyroll
...in my pants