Seeking general thoughts and tips approaching newer OVAs

Started by Sushi, April 17, 2020, 12:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey there! I just joined, thank you for having me!

Let's get to it. I recently re-watched OVAs 1-3 of Tenchi Muyo. I LOVE OVAs 1 and 2 beyond words; I watched them countless times in the early 2000s and obsessed over the world of Tenchi on the AIC Anime forums. When I first saw OVA 3 it was a huge letdown. They were clearly strapped for cash and had to rush so much story into so little space. The atmosphere and little details of Tenchi were now firmly in the backseat and a bloated narrative took the front. I was distraught and pretty much gave up on Tenchi.

After my recent re-watch, I can honestly say I have a new appreciation for the odd, odd world of OVA 3. It's an utter mess but there is something irreplaceable there and now I'm interested to see what MK intends to do with the story. Before watching, I just wanted to not only introduce myself, but get to know some of you guys and ask up front for some crucial knowledge to keep in mind as I approach this new beast. I have not seen GXP or Geminar so I understand I'm about to get all sorts of lost. Anything important for a born again noob is appreciated!

Thank you!

-Sushi

For one the GXP anime is retconned to a degree by the novels where we learn things like how Tenchi's earth is a copy and not the original, Also I'd recommend watching OVA 4 and the first episode of OVA 5 before watching War on Geminar.

Exactly what I intend to do! I just finished downloading OVA 4, does anyone have any subtitles lying around? :spends:

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

I recommend watching Dual! Parallel Crisis Adventure before GXP.
It's a small connection, but important, and even moreso in the novels.
Also it's fucking great, like Evangelion filtered through Tenchi Muyo.

April 17, 2020, 09:17:44 AM #5 Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:45:23 PM by antvasima
So the GXP anime was not simply replaced by the novels, Kajishima actually explicitly referred to it being retconned within the story itself?
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

OVA 3 has its share of flaws. One of the flaws was Mihoshi being too much like Universe's Mihoshi. OVA 3 was save by Episodes 6 and 7.  OVA 3 would have been better if we have really learn about what happen to Mihoshi before she met Tenchi.  OVA 4 is more like a movie.  OVA 4 would made a fine ending for the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki series.  Unfortunately OVA 5 is an extension of Ryo-Ohki.

I do want a sequel which focuses primary on one of Tenchi's sons. Tenchi does have one confirm son with Washu. He appears in a Douj which considered to be Canon. It makes sense for Tenchi to have another son as well as other children. My ideal for Tenchi's oldest son to be Tenchi's and Ayeka's first son. The son can be name Kazuki.  Kazuki is Ayeka's and Sasami's paternal grandfather. Kazuki had appeared in the last episode of OVA 4. Oddly, Kazuki is the name of Dual's male protagonist, and MC.

The best title for the sequel can be TENCHI MUYO! THE NEXT GENERATION.   TM! THE NEXT GENERATION can be an unique harem series where the female protagonist is the main protagonist.  TM! Ryo-Ohki OVA 5 is out. I just seen the first episode of OVA 5. I am hoping that OVA 5 is a better series.

:shygirl: :vrage: :end: :how: :popcorn: :really: :omgwtf:

Can she have Daenerys levels of Geminar influence and clout before running into a lot of ex-Jurai pirates and pulling them under her banner?

Quote from: Sushi on April 17, 2020, 12:39:19 AM

Let's get to it. I recently re-watched OVAs 1-3 of Tenchi Muyo. I LOVE OVAs 1 and 2 beyond words;  I watched them countless times in the early 2000s and obsessed over the world of Tenchi on the AIC Anime forums.

Same here! :)  Welcome to the boards.  I was on the AIC Anime forum too :)
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: Dagor Dagorath on April 17, 2020, 05:15:48 AM
I recommend watching Dual! Parallel Crisis Adventure before GXP.
It's a small connection, but important, and even moreso in the novels.
Also it's fucking great, like Evangelion filtered through Tenchi Muyo.

That sounds so far up my ally it's ridiculous!

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on April 18, 2020, 11:27:41 AM
Quote from: Sushi on April 17, 2020, 12:39:19 AM

Let's get to it. I recently re-watched OVAs 1-3 of Tenchi Muyo. I LOVE OVAs 1 and 2 beyond words;  I watched them countless times in the early 2000s and obsessed over the world of Tenchi on the AIC Anime forums.

Same here! :)  Welcome to the boards.  I was on the AIC Anime forum too :)

Wow, in that case hello again! Crazy to think it's been almost 20 years (?) since that place shut down. I almost forgot about it until I joined here!

Quote from: Harls on April 17, 2020, 01:49:10 AM
https://ecchioujisama.wordpress.com/category/fansubs/

Awesome, thank you! It appears episodes 3 + 4 subs are still MIA and I can't for the life of me find them. If anyone knows where please let me know. :)

I was also in the AIC forum, as was AstroNerdBoy and a few others here. It has been a very long time since then.

Welcome to this forum. I hope you stay around. :)

Given the timeframes between each release doesn't help all that much either.

Quote from: antvasima on April 17, 2020, 09:17:44 AM
So the GXP anime was not simply replaced by the novels, Kajishima actually explicitly referred to it being retconned within the story itself?

No the novels replace the events of GXP but the anime hits the majority of the plot elements from the novel. Barring the AI harem ( one of which was NB when tenchi's Grandma wasn't using it to Perv out.) And the Dual connections the anime covers everything plot critically to the wedding.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on April 17, 2020, 01:16:05 AM
For one the GXP anime is retconned to a degree by the novels where we learn things like how Tenchi's earth is a copy and not the original.
I was referring to this comment.

Quote from: antvasima on April 28, 2020, 04:10:44 AM
Quote from: Dr.Soviet on April 17, 2020, 01:16:05 AM
For one the GXP anime is retconned to a degree by the novels where we learn things like how Tenchi's earth is a copy and not the original.
I was referring to this comment.

the gxp tv show is non canon. that said almost everything that happened in the anime happened in the novels. just with more characters and things were more expanded on there are a total of around 4 episodes of content that have no anime equivilent or were severely cut
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here