Xbox Thread

Started by Tenchi Ryu, April 25, 2013, 12:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteNot backwards compatible? Oh well. It's a new trend in game consoles now.

This one I don't get because the system is rumored to still be using a custom IBM processor and the GPU is still based on ATI/AMD. So with what little is known, it appears to still have a custom IBM PPC chip and AMD graphics powering it, making a wrapper much easier to create. I'd be willing to bet they probably got lazy when it was confirmed PS4 won't be backwards compatible because the hardware is radically different. Or they'll paid too close attention to how well XboxOriginals and PlayStation2HD titles are selling and thought all these suckers will buy the same shit over again.

QuoteNow until I see it confirmed, this would go into the rumor pile. Not being able to play used games?  :milk:

It's true and Sony's doing it too. Not that either really has a choice in the matter, when money grubbing 3rd party developers threaten to take their business elsewhere. In Sony's case they've public relations liars stated their own 1st party titles won't be locked down, but the option is there for developers to choose. Which means everything from EA, Ubisoft & Activision is guaranteed to be locked down. In fact the DS4 will play a part in enabling those locked down titles to play on your friend's system & hauling along your gamertag along with you, as it will store a copy of your profile & the games registered to your system. And in Microsoft's case there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about how they're handling it yet.

QuoteSmart Glass... eh whatever. It's cool and all. But as a 'gamer', probably won't wind up using it that much. Besides the fact I don't own say a MS tablet or a Windows 8 phone, etc.

Smart Glass is available for Anderoid and iOS. virtually any smart phone & tablet out there can run Smart Glass.

QuoteMy feelings about it is meh. It feels like the Xbox One is trying to not be a gaming console, and instead, the all in one entertainment system for the living room.

Yeah it's really just a glorified Media Center Edition PC, without the loading time. Or to look at it another way, a product that will kick the shit out of AppleTV and play video games. And I don't blame MS for doing so. They're making good money off their multimedia services and they've been doing it longer than Apple has. XboxOne is a chance to really push their online multimedia market into the hands of people previously overlooked. Someone has to think of all the money to be made off services like Vudu, Hulu, Netflix, Zune, iTunes, etc and go I want a piece of that.

QuoteStill, sounds like a slap in the face of say, Gamestop.

Fuck Gamestop. They offer you dick for your trade-ins and resell them for 10% less, which is exactly why we've got this whole used games shenanigans going on to begin with. Secondly GS means nothing to any of the big 3 because their new game sales numbers pale in comparison to superstore chains like Walmart. Lastly GS saw this all coming several months ago. It's the reason why they're getting into the retro gaming business and now selling cellular contracts.

Compared to the 360 controller

Unless you've been living under a rock, you're sure to know that the Xbox reveal has caused waves of question and confusion. Cnet sits down with one of the program managers of Xbox to try and finally get some answers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57585620-75/microsoft-talks-xbox-one-naming-privacy-and-more-q-a/

I heard the cheering during the presentation... that wasn't the audience. Which means it was probably pre-recorded.

And the guy in the interview did NOT clear up what's going on with used games. Only that it supports used games.

Well, at least they confirmed that if I wanted to, I can use my new Galaxy S4 (my old dumb phone died. Forced me to get a new one. Great... except it killed my tax refund money I was hoping on using for a 3DS) with that Smart Glass thing.

The Kinect has to be on all the time... that's even worse than I thought. I obviously missed that part (honestly didn't watch the presentation. Just news articles). At least my privacy is assured if I want to.  :duck:

With so much confusion going on, this was NOT a great presentation from Microsoft at all. Being a set top box might get my brother more excited since he's not much of a gamer nowadays. But that puts MS in a position to, not complete with Sony and Nintendo directly, but a market of other set top boxes in that case. The gaming community on the other hand... MS should have been giving gamers excited about the prospects of the Xbox One. Not go WTF is this? There was a reason MS's stock went down and Sony's and Nintendo's went up as the day went on.

After reading about the xBox ONE, the major thing that turned me off from even buying the darn thing was the required once a day online verification thing.  I buy most of my games for current systems new anyway, so the "no used games" thing doesn't really bother me.

However, what happens when there's a power outage or ISP maintenance that lasts for more than a day in your area?  Then you're pretty much SOL from using the xBox ONE, and I'm not about to fall victim to that happening to me.  :dogout:

In short, the PS4 and Wii U get my money.  xBox ONE does not.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

May 22, 2013, 06:07:23 PM #21 Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:09:44 PM by Tenchi Ryu
A lot of the issues other people have are really no issues for me. I'm a pretty heavy gamer, but I have other hobbies that the One will also handle. Being a big Sports guy, this will really help since checking out stats during a game can be important. And with my Surround Sound system, not having to switch outputs all the time when going from Xbox to Television will be very nice.

Agree with WarOmnimon about the Used games. I definitely have some, but majority are my games are fresh new bought copies. When I'm looking for games, I'll tend to buy cheaper new versions online, like Amazon. If I just have to save money, I just wait til the game goes on sale. The only time this could be a problem is when I'm borrowing a game from my friend. But for me, I tend to play WITH my friends, so for the most part, both of us will have to have our own copy anyway, so it won't be that much of a difference compared to how I buy games now.

As far as the Always connected thing, from what I gathered after countless clarifications, the system works on a 24 hour grace period. This means that you have 24 hours from the last moment you've played in order to reconnect to the internet, and once you do that required connection, you can go back offline again until the next 24 our "check-up" session is needed. Personally this is a non issue for me since I'm always connected to the internet one way or another everyday already. As far as emergencies like a power outage or ISP issues, a 24 hour grace period is definitely a reasonable amount of time to get your stuff together IMO, but even then a non internet issue that takes longer than that is not the normal but the exception. I just have a way more of chance having internet compared to not having it.

Don't really get all the fuse about the system doing more than playing games. Yea you want to be caring about the gamer, but you just have to accept reality. This is 2013, we are in a new digital age, and people who were once not into this world are starting to come in. From a business perspective, it would be retarded to ignore the simple majority just to adhere to the hardcore minority. Those mother's and fathers who want a tv watching system will be the same ones who can easily put in money compared to the hardcore young adult gamer who is no where near as financially stable most of the time. For all the Flak MS has gotten, I can guarantee we'll probably see Sony pull the same tactics.

Yea you could become a PC gamer, but PC gamers just aren't what's considered cool (Sorry adam lol).

May 22, 2013, 06:55:29 PM #22 Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:12:29 PM by SimmyC
The issue with the Xbox One doing 'more' than gaming... isn't really the issue. I mean I can watch movies on my Xbox One? I can do that with my 360 already. Check NFL stuff? Okay. I don't mind that. In fact, I think it is cool.

The reason why I bring it up is that, I'm looking at this as a gamer since it is supposed to also be a gaming console. Yes, I understand, and Microsoft should, make the Xbox One be as 'mass marketable' as possible since they are a business that wants the doush. It shouldn't 'just' be a gaming console. Yes, I have other hobbies besides gaming. Heck, nowadays I play on the PC more anyways. No longer really a console gamer to be honest. But my criticism is coming from the gaming side of things. They didn't show anything that would get the gaming side, the side that might go "Hmm. All those awesome games, maybe I'll go back to console gaming"... they didn't do that. You could say E3 all you want, but you would think they could have shown some amazing exclusives now, and then go "E3 will only be better" to get the gaming side of me excited.

After all, the people attending the conference weren't simply techie media people. They were gaming media. You'd think they would have at least put the games first given the audience. Save all the other multimedia stuff later.

The used games stuff doesn't affect me most of the time since I rarely get used game for my console gaming. BUT, there are times when I do borrow/receive as gifts, a game that my brother or cousin gives me. Especially when Capcom goes "Street Fighter, Super Street Fighter, Super Duper Street Fighter", and my cousin buys into all that and well, has an extra copy to get rid of. That would be the time where I might have an issue. But since that is rare... it's more of a principle of the matter. Why should it be like this? Because MS said so? Is MS simply kowtowing to the major publishers? Same guys that are now trying to push microtransactions on difficulty now (Metro: Last Light)?

[edit]BTW, it's been confirmed. There will be a FEE to play used games. Sometimes as much as a full price of a new game.

Heck, the Internet connection thing 'itself' isn't a problem for me. Since yes, like a lot of people, my Internet connection is fairly stable, and I'm online almost always anyway. Once again, for me, it's more of the principle of the matter. Why does the One NEED to he verified every 24 hours? Steam doesn't do that. And Steam, while I like it better than certain other services, is still DRM. But one that doesn't force me to be online especially when I'm not playing.

Not to mention, right now I keep my 360 and PS3 off to save energy since I rarely use them nowadays. Someone has to pay the energy bills. Not going to fly if I have to keep turning it on to make sure it's verified.

Yes, I know there are realities in the gaming industry we have to accept. No backwards compatibility for starters. And yes, I'm sure there are stuff MS is doing that Sony AND Nintendo might go "Hmm. We should do that too". But that doesn't make it right. After all, we now live in the world of DLCs and microtransactions. I accept that. Heck, I don't mind certain DLCs and so forth. But when a company is going so far as removing difficulty and charge $5 for those that didn't preorder? A line has be drawn somewhere.  :siren: :siren: :siren:

Quote from: SimmyC on May 22, 2013, 06:55:29 PM
You could say E3 all you want, but you would think they could have shown some amazing exclusives now, and then go "E3 will only be better" to get the gaming side of me excited.
It never does though, and by now I'm sure Xbox and even Sony knows this. Time and time again, we get a tease of a certain exclusive, people get their hopes up and then by the time E3 comes around, it doesn't live up to people's overhyped expectations. I'd bet MS and Sony have learned their lesson by now and learned you have a better chance wowing the gamers by a E3 reveal compared to a E3 explanation.

Quote from: SimmyC on May 22, 2013, 06:55:29 PMAfter all, the people attending the conference weren't simply techie media people. They were gaming media. You'd think they would have at least put the games first given the audience. Save all the other multimedia stuff later.
Word online is that MS repeatedly stated this focus would be on the console and not the games. So if this is true and people were warned ahead of time and still expected same, you reap what you sow I guess.

Quote from: SimmyC on May 22, 2013, 06:55:29 PMThe used games stuff doesn't affect me most of the time since I rarely get used game for my console gaming. BUT, there are times when I do borrow/receive as gifts, a game that my brother or cousin gives me. Especially when Capcom goes "Street Fighter, Super Street Fighter, Super Duper Street Fighter", and my cousin buys into all that and well, has an extra copy to get rid of. That would be the time where I might have an issue. But since that is rare... it's more of a principle of the matter. Why should it be like this? Because MS said so? Is MS simply kowtowing to the major publishers? Same guys that are now trying to push microtransactions on difficulty now (Metro: Last Light)?

[edit]BTW, it's been confirmed. There will be a FEE to play used games. Sometimes as much as a full price of a new game.
I think many are giving MS and Sony too much credit when the hidden truth is that the game developers are a lot more say so than what people want to believe. All MS and Sony are doing is trying to appease them, even if it means we get shafted. Notice not one developer has come out and flat out stated disappointment in the new USED GAME FEE policy, cause they fucking love it and you can bet money they will get a piece of that pie.

QuoteWord online is that MS repeatedly stated this focus would be on the console and not the games. So if this is true and people were warned ahead of time and still expected same, you reap what you sow I guess.
While it is true that MS (including 'leaks') probably didn't want to focus on the games since, well, they are looking beyond gamers and see a potential market there, there is also a thing called brand management. Microsoft, up to this point, has made Xbox all about gaming. If the first thing a presentation about the console isn't about the gaming aspect, but the TV aspect... why call it an Xbox then?

I think people might have been more forgiving if all they did was talk about the specs. The reason why things there is so much rage is, well, mentioned it already. They focused on the TV aspect of it. Again, if this was called Windows 8 Entertainment system, people would have been more forgiving But they slapped their gaming brand on it (Xbox) instead.

Also, to add that Kinect will always be on no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5fq8fYVahE Here is an example where things could go very wrong with it. And this is the old Kinect. At least you could turn it off.

And the last point... I'll just repeat what I said.

I'll just repeat what I said before.
QuoteAnd yes, I'm sure there are stuff MS is doing that Sony AND Nintendo might go "Hmm. We should do that too". But that doesn't make it right. After all, we now live in the world of DLCs and microtransactions. I accept that. Heck, I don't mind certain DLCs and so forth. But when a company is going so far as removing difficulty and charge $5 for those that didn't preorder? A line has be drawn somewhere.
This is my feeling on the industry in general and NOT just what MS (or what the publishers are making MS if that's the case) is doing. No where did I say that game publishers were innocent. In fact, they are very much to blame to the things I find bullshit in the game industry today. I know they would cum buckets IF the concept of no used games ever becomes a reality. After all, they are already trying to shove crap at us to see how much they can get away with it before there is a consumer revolt (DRM, Day One DLCs, Online Passes, Diablo 3 launch/auction debacle, Simcity 2013 always online disaster). I just do not see it as a good thing and I CERTAINLY won't accept it simply because 'it's the reality we live in today'. Already EA is reversing course with the Online Passes. No reason why certain other practices the big publishers are trying to nickle and dime us to death if given incentive (like, people stop supporting it with their $$$).

I knew it...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/31/microsoft-wont-talk-tv-at-e3

Now the extra stuff is out of the way, E3 will focus on the games so the hardcore gamers don't feel left out. Though I don't understand the fuss since we know E3 is the day preset for us gamers only anyway. The System reveal was more of a mass-marketed thing.

Because it was the system reveal and people expected talks about the game aspect and not TV.

But E3...

First, if Microsoft wanted to talk up the mass marketing of the system at the reveal, and save all the gaming aspect at E3, they really should have emphasized it. And no, rumors and leaks do NOT count as emphasizing it. If anything, what Microsoft FAILED to do before the run-up of the reveal, AND early in the presentation was say "Look, we know it's a gaming system. But to you hardcore gamers, wait to E3. Because for everyone else, here is the awesome all in one entertainment system!"

They didn't do it in the presentation. And they gave no indication that was the case when they announced the reveal date. Could have saved themselves a lot of grief over that. But didn't.

And I'm not even pointing out the stuff that they do Kinect (see what I did there?  Ahahah.. hahah...  :sotw: ) to gaming was, less than satisfactory towards that end.

Now in, scary to hear that from me, XD, but some defense of MS on the issue of used games.

My thinking has 'evolved' somewhat only when the issue of Gamestop is brought up. While I feel, and still feel, the big publishers are greedy bastards that are doing a lot of stuff that hurt the consumers, the issue with a company like Gamestop is that, when they resell a used game, the game publishers (and in turn, the developers) don't get a dime of that money. So what MS is, at least attempting to do, is at least be fair to those evil big publishers and have them have a cut of the money, taking it out of the hands of equally evil game resellers like Gamestop.

That said though, doesn't mean I fully support it. Since it still means like, let's say my cousin fell for Capcom's multiple versions of the same game situation (it's why I support expansion packs/DLCs more. Since Capcom seems to like forcing people to buy the game over again if they decide to add content. Not always. But with stuff like Street Fighter...). Assuming he bought each version new, he now can't simply gift me the older version if MS's way of 'sticking it to Gamestop' goes through. Certainly not a positive for the consumer in my case.

At least with Steam (which people like to use as an example), you could trade games with it. Disappears on your account, appears on the person that you traded with.

Quote from: SimmyC on June 01, 2013, 03:25:39 PM
Because it was the system reveal and people expected talks about the game aspect and not TV.

But E3...

First, if Microsoft wanted to talk up the mass marketing of the system at the reveal, and save all the gaming aspect at E3, they really should have emphasized it. And no, rumors and leaks do NOT count as emphasizing it. If anything, what Microsoft FAILED to do before the run-up of the reveal, AND early in the presentation was say "Look, we know it's a gaming system. But to you hardcore gamers, wait to E3. Because for everyone else, here is the awesome all in one entertainment system!"
They did do that
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/microsoft-will-unveil-new-xbox-over-two-events-not-one-6C9993958

I remember seeing something on another news site, but that's where the "Xbox is saving the big guns" talk came from, actual news sources. But places like IGN would rather leave this stuff out for more fan drama and views.

June 02, 2013, 12:48:42 AM #28 Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:00:02 AM by SimmyC
From the article. Emphasis added by me.
Quote"The best way I can describe it is: We're really going to tell one story across two events," he added. "So we're going to start on the 21st [of May]; and really that's about revealing the next Xbox platform and our vision for the future of games, the future of entertainment."
This... isn't making things clear. Now, let's assume journalist are dumbasses. :D The assumption is STILL a gaming system. NOT an all in one set top box. When they hit you with TV, TV, TV... journalist are going to write about that.

It's probably just because of personal taste...As a heavy TV watcher, a lot of Xbox One's new features are very handy. Hell, being able to finally not have to keep switching inputs all the time is alone a great feature for me.

All I left out from that conference is how Xbox One will make my life a whole lot easier, but then again, from everything they covered...TV, Sports and COD, I'm a fan of all 3. I just didn't put that much care in game reveals since I know E3 has delivered before, no reason it won't again.
Sony did mention games in their reveal, but those games don't really interest me. Kinda meh about Last of Us and Diablo 3 isn't a big deal since Adam is pimping me out to get used to the PC version.
Now if we get to E3 and we see a lack of games, then I'll be pissed. But I have more of a "just be patient" approach, especially since E3 is right around the corner.