Tenchi Muyo Figma? S.H. Figuarts?

Started by Surgeon Of Death, February 18, 2014, 11:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Seeing how exciting it is for fans of their favorite anime to get their own articulated figures, I'd like to know if the fanbase here would be willing to post which company should produce a line of figures for the series?

I personally would love Max Factory's figma lineup of the Tenchi cast. Max Factory really is a big name within the figure community and I've been really impressed with their figure renditions of Roger Smith, Link and Okabe Rintarou. They could really add in all the details that MacFarlane's lineup couldn't (with even more added articulation!) There's also Bandai's SH Figuarts but I'm not really thrilled with their One Piece lineup (plus they won't stay committed to a series if it doesn't reach DBZ sale numbers.) There's also SAS,Revoltech and Figutto but those three I don't see making Tenchi figures...

I tried asking the fans over at the Ryoko Hakubi Facebook page but they seem to be more interested in a video game of Tenchi (which obviously would never happen unless Tenchi becomes relevant again...) So what Company should create Tenchi figures and if so which ones should they release first?

I've only got a little experience with figma (own Nagato Yuki) and Revoltech (own Gurren Lagann).

I don't think Revoltech would be a good fit, because they're more designed for robots and the like. Every time I see a Revoltech figure of a human character, I'm disappointed because the usually great sculpt is ruined by the way-too-prominent joints.

Figma, on the other hand... I don't I've ever been unimpressed with any figma figures I've seen. They're just fantastic across the board. They'd absolutely be my top pick if I had a choice.

SH Figurarts seem somewhat inbetween to me. Their joints stand out a bit too much, but nothing like Revoltech's do (on humans)... I feel like they're more suited to Sentai and the like, which they do great on, than anime.

In general I don't buy figures because I don't have shelf space for them. Also a number of factors in my house lead to a constant battle against dust buildup, and figures' irregular shapes make them hard to clean. A display case could probably help a lot there, but then there's the third issue: income. I work part time for barely more than minimum wage, and what spare money I have tends to go to my primary hobby: video games. It's hard to justify $60 (or more) for a figure that will sit on my shelf and collect dust, when that same amount can go toward between one or a dozen games that will entertain me for hours on end.

All that being said, I'd buy the hell out of any line of Tenchi figures by these companies. In a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I feel the likelihood of us getting anything like that isn't much higher than the likelihood of a game. The franchise would have to regain some sense of the popularity that it had in the 90's, and I don't see that happening in the current moe-flooded anime market.

On the subject of the older Tenchi figures... I've got the old MacFarlane Tenchi, and that figure would have been vastly better as a statuette. It was sculpted for one specific pose and the articulation points only made it fall over a lot. From discussions I've had, I've picked up that this is basically a problem with everything MacFarlane's done outside of, like, the Halo and Walking Dead lines. Mine eventually broke the stand's pegs off into its feet from constantly falling over. I refuse to buy MacFarlane's Ryoko figure because it's a hideous abomination.

Quote from: JDavis on February 19, 2014, 11:16:16 PM
I've only got a little experience with figma (own Nagato Yuki) and Revoltech (own Gurren Lagann).

I don't think Revoltech would be a good fit, because they're more designed for robots and the like. Every time I see a Revoltech figure of a human character, I'm disappointed because the usually great sculpt is ruined by the way-too-prominent joints.

I agree. My sister owns the Yuki Nagato Revoltech and its quite huge and out of scale with other 1:12 figures (figma,shf,etc) and the joints are very visable and very noisy as well.

Quote from: JDavis on February 19, 2014, 11:16:16 PM
Figma, on the other hand... I don't I've ever been unimpressed with any figma figures I've seen. They're just fantastic across the board. They'd absolutely be my top pick if I had a choice.

SH Figurarts seem somewhat inbetween to me. Their joints stand out a bit too much, but nothing like Revoltech's do (on humans)... I feel like they're more suited to Sentai and the like, which they do great on, than anime.

In general I don't buy figures because I don't have shelf space for them. Also a number of factors in my house lead to a constant battle against dust buildup, and figures' irregular shapes make them hard to clean. A display case could probably help a lot there, but then there's the third issue: income. I work part time for barely more than minimum wage, and what spare money I have tends to go to my primary hobby: video games. It's hard to justify $60 (or more) for a figure that will sit on my shelf and collect dust, when that same amount can go toward between one or a dozen games that will entertain me for hours on end.

There's always the Ikea Detolf! It cost me only $55 USD and its a great affordable display case for figures. Most figure collectors use these cases for their figures too. I can understand your situation even though its actually the opposite for me as I rarely play games nowadays compared to before and most of my allowance (no job, just selling things on ebay) goes to anime stuff I enjoy. Most figma go for about 40 USD a pop but it's even more if you miss out on the preorders for a figma and/or if its an exclusive (fuck you wonder festival!) but my purchases are quite justified as I run a Figure Review channel on YouTube and like to do some stop motion videos from time to time so I think I get my money's worth. It's only my opinion though.

Quote from: JDavis on February 19, 2014, 11:16:16 PMAll that being said, I'd buy the hell out of any line of Tenchi figures by these companies. In a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I feel the likelihood of us getting anything like that isn't much higher than the likelihood of a game. The franchise would have to regain some sense of the popularity that it had in the 90's, and I don't see that happening in the current moe-flooded anime market.
This might change as Kajishima basically confirmed to the fans that an anime production has been green lit and will air sometime soon in a year or so. So basically Tenchi might be relevant again and besides Good Smile Company has a facebook page where users can request figures and the greatest example of fan demand that was successful for a figma I can think of is Okabe Rintarou from Steins;Gate. A lot of users including myself posted pictures and requests for Okabe on their page and a few months later he was basically confirmed! :)
Kill la Kill is also getting figma and nendoroids for their main characters so its all about posting on their page when Tenchi is back on the airwaves in Japan. I'm also gonna try and start a campaign on facebook for some Tenchi figma whenever OVA4 or whatever gets confirmed.

Quote from: JDavis on February 19, 2014, 11:16:16 PMOn the subject of the older Tenchi figures... I've got the old MacFarlane Tenchi, and that figure would have been vastly better as a statuette. It was sculpted for one specific pose and the articulation points only made it fall over a lot. From discussions I've had, I've picked up that this is basically a problem with everything MacFarlane's done outside of, like, the Halo and Walking Dead lines. Mine eventually broke the stand's pegs off into its feet from constantly falling over. I refuse to buy MacFarlane's Ryoko figure because it's a hideous abomination.
lol I have both Tenchi figures as I was only about 9 or 10 and I just bought the two when I saw them at EB Games. My Tenchi's base pegs broke, the light hawk wings broke and Ryoko's base has been lost to the ages. I was only a kid then but looking at them now I never want any American Manufacturer making figures of my favorite anime. Bleh ashame that Max Factory or Bandai didn't even try making figures of the girls back when it was popular or on its 20th anniversary....

oh to give you guys an idea of how a Tenchi figma could look like here's a custom figma of Sasami I found online:

Unfortunately, there's two problems with the Ikea case for me.. One being that the nearest Ikea is over 130 miles from here. The other that the aforementioned financial difficulties also caused me to have to move back in with my parents about a year ago, with no sign of me being able to move out in the foreseeable future :neg:, and I'm already beyond capacity for space in my room. Like half of my stuff is in storage, and I still have overflowing shelves.

I don't care what it is at this point I just want more Tenchi Swag  :frogonk:

Quote from: JDavis on February 20, 2014, 03:25:32 PM
Unfortunately, there's two problems with the Ikea case for me.. One being that the nearest Ikea is over 130 miles from here. The other that the aforementioned financial difficulties also caused me to have to move back in with my parents about a year ago, with no sign of me being able to move out in the foreseeable future :neg:, and I'm already beyond capacity for space in my room. Like half of my stuff is in storage, and I still have overflowing shelves.
That's a shame. Hope everything goes well in your future.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on February 20, 2014, 03:49:17 PM
I don't care what it is at this point I just want more Tenchi Swag  :frogonk:
Really? No specific company that catches your eye? Max Factory? Bandai? RAH? I'm more of a articulated figure collector myself but they do have trading figures of some of the original girls + the GXP girls that you can buy online. Of course the quality is that of a toy in a cereal box but hey they're figures made during GXP's TV run plus its cheap too.

Quote from: Surgeon Of Death on February 21, 2014, 12:23:43 AM
Really? No specific company that catches your eye? Max Factory? Bandai? RAH? I'm more of a articulated figure collector myself but they do have trading figures of some of the original girls + the GXP girls that you can buy online. Of course the quality is that of a toy in a cereal box but hey they're figures made during GXP's TV run plus its cheap too.

I don't know much about figures to have an opinion unfortunately.