All time favorite episodes?

Started by Meeeeeeelllllon, February 16, 2022, 04:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I just saw that another Tenchi site did like a poll on alllll the episodes of Tenchi. It was mostly just a few OVA1, Universe and a Tokyo episode that were voted top 10.

I don't know if anyone from here voted, but anyway, what is/are your all time favorite episode(s) of Tenchi?

I like Mihoshi's premiere episode, and also the battle with Kagato. Also the one with the Mecha Washu and swimsuits in Universe... but like I still need to watch some of Geminar and I forget most of GXP so I need to rewatch that.
Plenty of trees on Jurai, and plenty of big juicy melons.

Some of us are banned from that site for asking too many questions. You can look at the post about their wiki to see the horrible abuse I piled on the poor man.(sarcasm)

That site has a general rule that anything Kajishima did without the original collaborators isn't worth mentioning at all.

Did they also present the "worst" list? If they did, it would be the first time the site has even admitted that OVA4 & OVA5 exist
...in my pants

As for the actual question, hard to argue that OVA1 & 2 aren't the best. But I have lost my taste for Universe mostly. Maybe the one where they have to get through the station could qualify. I think some Geminar episodes would rank. Like the one where Babalun attacks and Kenshi has to get in his Mecha and kick so much ass he literally makes every woman in the school want him (that didn't already).
The "back home" episode of GXP is a highlight too, might squeeze in at ten. Partially to spite those that refuse the harem solution I'd also vote for I am sure you have your opinion on the matter but please consider the matter closed and The Max Level (?) Hero Departs on a list of favorites. Plus, I have read up on Eff's translations and I AM one of those fanboys that love the novel fan service.
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on February 16, 2022, 04:34:44 PM
Did they also present the "worst" list? If they did, it would be the first time the site has even admitted that OVA4 & OVA5 exist
That's this month's poll.  :smug:

I know I voted for OVA 1 and the one where Ryoko died.  :heysexy:
There were some more but I've forgotten.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Any episode from OVA 2 is my favorite but if I had to point out which ones I loved the most, I would say Hello Baby!, Sasami and Tsunami and Here Comes Jurai!

Quote from: MajinTenchi on February 18, 2022, 01:36:24 AM
I would say Hello Baby!, Sasami and Tsunami and Here Comes Jurai!

Yeah, OVA 2 really built up to something without abandoning the hot spring omake vibe. I think Hello Baby should have been expanded into a feature film, as long as Taro was more central to the story though.

As any critical comments will surely be deleted from their Youtube page, I guess we could try to have an actual discussion here.

I'm certainly not listening to every second of their prattle but I'm jumping around.
#8 Tenchi Universe ep.25

"The Light-Hawk Wings come out of nowhere as a Dues Ex-Machina." Really? It is the stated goal of Kagato in the OVA to discover the power of Jurai, to capture Tsunami and the Light Hawk Wings. It's all established and as the series and books move on we learn more and more about what they are. They have a reasoning and substance, Tenchi's growth and heightened ability to harness them has a path.
The only way to defend the comment is that the Light Hawk Wings are literally a "Machine of God" as they are the result of the machinations of the de facto "gods" of the series.

However, "Jurai Power" in Universe is only ever "Jurai Power" and Tenchi gets better in this episode by... grunting louder? Kagato has "Dark Jurai Power." You get no explanation, you'll never get any explanation - that's just what they are. The only thing worse than this is the explanation of Kain's power as "Anti-Jurai Power." Kain, the bad guy that literally comes from nowhere and whose only reason to exist is to be evil."
...in my pants

I especially liked episode 7 of the original OVA series, but all of episodes 1-13 were really awesome.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Right before I got banned from Tenchiforum, I also voted for my top ten episodes. I believe they were:
Ryoko Resurrected
Kagato Attacks
We Need Tenchi
The Night Before the Carnival
Sasami and Tsunami
No Need for Resident Officers
No Need for an Escape (admittedly this was just a troll pick just because I like Mitsuki)
Money! Money! Money!
Meet the Parents (GXP isn't good but this one particular episode is pretty funny)

I can't remember for the life of me what the final episode I chose was. I guess I'll just pick "Here Comes Ayeka!" and call it a day.