Tenchi ever shifting streaming availability on Funimation / Crunchyroll

Started by Nonsuch Ned, February 20, 2022, 10:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
It seems we need a thread to just track this ever-changing Funimation dynamic. Ithought about responding to what we said in the Toei thread, but there are like 5 conversations going on there.

Once again, someone on FB was asking where to stream Tenchi. Someone again said "Funimation," of course. I was about to say OVA1 and 2 are missing... but I checked, and its back.
Tenchi in Tokyo and movies are now missing.
:emot-iiam:

GXP remains unlicensed for streaming, and of course 4&5 are only on Crunchyroll (but who knows what happens once Sony figures out what to do with the two of them).
...in my pants

Might need to just.... take out my DVDs next time I want to watch...
Plenty of trees on Jurai, and plenty of big juicy melons.

Well good, it was just a fuckup after all.

:add: apparently when they expanded their streaming to Brazil and Latin America, they screwed up the availability somehow.

Tech stuff, over my head.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

It's not necessary for people to watch Tokyo or the films, unless like some moviephiles they want to see the shift in production planning and artistry between different directors as it happened.

However, I think this comment section is a pretty accurate read of streaming's spottiness.

*shrug* Some people actually do like Tokyo and the films. While I hated Tokyo in my Toonami days I can appreciate it better now.

As what usually happens Tenchi stuff will be unavailable for a bit, then it'll come back I'm sure. Idk what'll happen if/when Crunchyroll and Funi's libraries merge.

Hold on to your butts.
Plenty of trees on Jurai, and plenty of big juicy melons.

Looks like the first Tenchi Funi title has finally moved to Crunchyroll:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/tenchi-muyo-war-on-geminar

Who knows if the others will ever get there. AFAICT They've stopped making any announcements about what and when they are moving things to CR, they just do it.
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 02, 2022, 03:21:44 PM
They've stopped making any announcements about what and when they are moving things to CR, they just do it.
on Tuesdays.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 02, 2022, 03:21:44 PM
Looks like the first Tenchi Funi title has finally moved to Crunchyroll:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/tenchi-muyo-war-on-geminar

Who knows if the others will ever get there. AFAICT They've stopped making any announcements about what and when they are moving things to CR, they just do it.
They have the gall to make Geminar, a 13-year-old anime, exclusive to Crunchyroll Premium?
Yeah, I'm never subscribing to that website.

Quote from: DishonorableKnight on August 04, 2022, 11:15:58 AM
They have the gall to make Geminar, a 13-year-old anime, exclusive to Crunchyroll Premium?

I believe, if it hasn't happened already, soon enough, they're completely doing away with ad-supported free streaming.

They know what they have, a near monopoly.
...in my pants

And it just gets more in the realm of "fuck it, it's not like the government gives a shit anymore, let's buy everything."

Crunchyroll Purchases Anime Retailer Right Stuf
...in my pants

If they move all of the Tenchi Muyo episodes to Crunchyroll, we need to update the information in our wiki's front page accordingly.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Crunchyroll bought Right Stuf? Damn. I remember buying Irresponsible Captain Tylor from them way back when. I was actually looking at their catalog just the other day.

TiT: Tenchi was such a dick in that series. But I have been considering rewatching it, since I went and spent the money on DVDs some time ago. Maybe I'll change my mind.

You heard it here second.

Ai Tenchi is on Crunchyroll now.

and the world exclaims.... "whatever"...
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 04, 2022, 01:25:16 PM
Quote from: DishonorableKnight on August 04, 2022, 11:15:58 AM

I believe, if it hasn't happened already, soon enough, they're completely doing away with ad-supported free streaming.

They know what they have, a near monopoly.
Seriously, I checked about a month ago to find the bulk of what I had yet to watch for Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is now unavailable not only to stream at the freemium level, but to even purchase the episodes. Only the BluRay deluxe, which if it included a figurine maybe.

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on September 06, 2022, 04:28:53 PM
You heard it here second.

Ai Tenchi is on Crunchyroll now.

and the world exclaims.... "whatever"...

Huh, now there's something I did buy on BluRay even though it was fansubbed or such by TF when it first aired. To me it represents Tenchi material that has Petrea voicing Ryoko and a relatively okay albeit super brief opening track.

One more step-Sasami Magical Girls Club is now on Crunchyroll.