GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Seina's look seems to coincide with his appearance in OVA4-4. That might be a good place to start it.

But I keep wondering just how involved he really will be. If you look at that final scene, the only new one, it more suggests Seina's and Tenchi's groups gathering together to wish luck to Tsukiko, who's standing at a literal gateway with the impression that she's the one going on this journey.

Another idea is that Kajishima may just use this to get out of finishing the novels in a way that has to wrap up everything.

By starting an anime halfway into the Renza story, he can maybe finish the "sci-fi" side of things in an anime and leave the novels to deal with his magic adventures- or something.

They could probably montage the hell out of the events of the early novels to get things up to speed and make this a true continuation.
...in my pants

December 27, 2022, 02:07:56 PM #16 Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 03:58:32 PM by Dreamr
Well, It is still 2022. So 30 year anniversary project is still a go.

Its usually a good thing when the creators have the copyrights. That being said, there's nothing that says there wasn't some kind of subcontracting. But in that case, I would still expect to see AIC or Toei listed. So I think the idea of Kajishima-san owning the copyrights and going where he needs to get the project done is right. On the other hand, I detest crappy CG. I hope they do it right.

ty astronerdboy for the yt vid. That was the first official announcement I'd heard.

I'm still surprised there was never a scifi MMO based in the Tenchi (GXP) universe. Wanna be a pirate? Sure. GP officer? No problem. Seriously. If CCP can keep Eve Online running for so long, something with a recognizable IP could do well. Here's hoping!

EDIT: I did some quick translating of the text in the announcement video. I hope you find it useful.

Another protagonist returns from outer space.
OAV 4 episode list
OAV 5 episode list
Between 4th and 5th series missing series?!
From the hand of producer Masaki Kajishima, a new work.
Tenchi Muyo's great story beginning.
Original Sci-Fi Bishoujo Harem Anime Gold Pagoda

I would translate Gold Pagoda in this context as Gold Standard. But clearly this will happen between OAV 4 and 5. Makes sense if its the set up for Paradise Wars.

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on December 27, 2022, 02:02:47 PMAnother idea is that Kajishima may just use this to get out of finishing the novels in a way that has to wrap up everything.

That gets my vote. Kajishima-sensei doesn't like recovering ground and if he can wrap up the GXP novel story in an anime, so much the better.

QuoteThey could probably montage the hell out of the events of the early novels to get things up to speed and make this a true continuation.

Magic 8-ball sez: "Don't count on it."

Based on how things have gone from OVA 3 to present, Kajishima-sensei pretty much expects folks to be versed on everything that has come before, whether anime or novel. I'd love a recap, but I honestly am not expecting one.

Quote from: Dreamr on December 27, 2022, 02:07:56 PMty astronerdboy for the yt vid. That was the first official announcement I'd heard.

You're welcome.

QuoteI'm still surprised there was never a scifi MMO based in the Tenchi (GXP) universe. Wanna be a pirate? Sure. GP officer? No problem. Seriously.

Well, whether MMO, mobile, or single player, I am kinda surprised there's no game either. I know there was some mobile game (now defunct) that I think had some Tenchi characters in it. Back in the day, there were a few Tenchi JRPG games, though I've seen some played and they are laughable in some aspects, and not because of age.

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on December 27, 2022, 01:58:34 AM
I think Kajishima-sensei owns the copyrights to Tenchi stuff now. He gets credited as a copyright owner, and that was true for the True Tenchi Muyo! novels I adapted. I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean that AIC loses the rights over the stuff they produced. Subsequently, Toei owns 50% of that. However, if Kajishima-sensei outright owns the Tenchi Muyo! copyright, and he no longer has an agreement with AIC, then he can get any company he wants to produce his stuff. And considering how bad things were for AIC, I'm not surprised he went elsewhere.
Yeah, that would certainly explain the lack of credit for AIC and Toei for the new show. But the big question here is, why didn't they announce that? Isn't that a detail that would receive some sort of formal announcement?
Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on December 27, 2022, 01:58:34 AM
Also, Kajishima-sensei may not have wanted to deal with Toei.
Smart man. As competent as Toei are in handling most of their franchises more often than not (Though they aren't perfect and there have been some missteps, Digimon Adventure tri. being a glaringly notable one), there's a chance that Tenchi would have been completely swept under the rug in terms of priority given that it's a franchise that Toei just acquired and they have their hands more than full with their own stuff next year. Particularly because of not only what they have airing now, but there's a new Digimon movie on the way, not one but two anniversary projects (The two Sailor Moon Cosmos movies for the Sailor Moon 30th anniversary and the next season of Pretty Cure which will be for its own 20th anniversary), and there are rumblings of the Dragon Ball weekly anime coming back in 2023... and that's only taking their anime into account. Their tokusatsu are handled completely separately as the ransomware attack they had to deal with this year affecting all of their anime but not Avataro Sentai Donbrothers and Kamen Rider Revice (Which has since finished airing) proves and thus aren't part of this equation.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

The cast and staff have been announced. Hiroshi Negishi is directing. All the seiyuu are returning except for Seina's, I assume it's the new guy who voiced him in OVA 5. The 4 girls from Dual's seiyuu are all returning to voice their GXP counterparts. If MAL is to be believed this is D's seiyuu's first role since 2004.
https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000003861.000032953.html

https://twitter.com/tenchi4th/status/1613736891643490304

Also AIC is listed in the article, so they are still involved.

I'm assuming the new elf woman on the far left is Airen, the princess from the fantasy planet Seina gets stranded on?

Just seeing the cast picture feels surreal, that this is actually happening. For over a decade, it looked like the Tenchi franchise was dead in the water, now it Kajishima is getting all kinds of projects green-lit.

On one hand, they are apparently taking pre-orders for the OVA this month. On the other, they don't say how many episodes will be in this new OVA series.

Quote from: GP cadet 87 on January 12, 2023, 11:46:10 PM
I'm assuming the new elf woman on the far left is Airen, the princess from the fantasy planet Seina gets stranded on?

Just seeing the cast picture feels surreal, that this is actually happening. For over a decade, it looked like the Tenchi franchise was dead in the water, now it Kajishima is getting all kinds of projects green-lit.

I can't be 100% certain, but based on the illustrations in GXP15 and 17, I think that the elf woman is Nayuta. She is built-in NB that Washu gave him.
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

Yeah, IIRC she based her appearance on those Seina found attractive, including Souren. Explaining the elf ears.
...in my pants

Just a small question, will we have the same animation from season 4 and 5?
Any thought in my mind tends to quickly become a power that is organized in such a way that,
attracting the right circumstances, it materializes in what I want.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Huh. So Tsukiko's shipping out with Seina here. 

Quote from: Azzasinoth on January 14, 2023, 08:01:33 PM
Just a small question, will we have the same animation from season 4 and 5?

there is some key visual art posted on twitter, ill update our banner to it actually.

Erm, so is this going to be a remake up to the final novels or are we just going to get a half-bake of canon novel material after the non-canon anime way back then?

Sounds like it's going to slot in between OVA 4 and OVA 5
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: kamikaze00007 on January 17, 2023, 02:58:27 AM
Erm, so is this going to be a remake up to the final novels or are we just going to get a half-bake of canon novel material after the non-canon anime way back then?

I'm getting an idea that maybe the anime will be the sci-fi half of the Renza story.

Ideally spending an episode quickly recapping some of the novel's content, largely glossing over the magic/adventuring part of the story and instead picking up when Seina gets off his planet and deals with the pirates/HIMC/ Renza coup story.

It's the guess of many of us that Tsukiko's husband's disappearance/ presumed death had to do with HIMC.
I also think novel 17 surreptitiously introduced the pilot of HIMC without saying who it was, a girl being introduced to Earth's giant Robot anime/tokusatsu in a seedy Racepshi establishment.
And the first anime preview image notably uses the shadowy outline of a presumed antagonist- who looks like a girl or a feminine man.

If they do this- which should also lead into the Paradise War story by showing how the pirates got further fractured, the novels can focus on the "Yer a wizard, Seina" magic/adventuring story and maybe the Renza political stuff that the other wives will be dealing with.
...in my pants