"Tenchi should choose one girl" vs "Don't break the harem" discussion

Started by Empress of Jurai, February 16, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Since I've watched Tenchi, the discussion of who Tenchi will end up has been a constant. Back in the day, I liked Ayeka better, and wanted her to be Tenchi and every other girl to be with...whoever else. However, I changed my views and support him keeping the harem together. Of course, there are always people who say Tenchi should choose just one, but my thoughts are: Why? It would be perfectly legal (on Jurai) for him to marry them all and the household would just not be as interesting without all the girls. So, which side are you on and why?

I am for a harem for the simple reason that I like when a guy get all the girls, especially if I like many girls in the same anime (which is the case for Tenchi Muyo since in the harem I really like Aeka, Sasami, Mihoshi and Washu).

Keep the harem.

Reasons:

1) OVA Tenchi is pretty much God why should he have to choose?

2) From Kajishima's view point if he were to chose someone you'd be pissing off a majority of the fan base. (doesn't matter who the majority would be pissed!)

Harem option...no exceptions.

The guy is royalty, got thousands of years left before he even sees gray hairs, and has the stamina of an immortal. Why on earth would you want to be tied down to one spouse? Yosho got with the program, and had 2 hot wives and started multiple families, like a boss. Nobuyuki is currently on wife 2.

Seriously though, its no need to choose. Some people want to say its a cop-out, but I honestly consider him choosing a cop out. Why not have the main character have the balls to accept all the girls coming his way instead of breaking the hearts of multiple girls just to make one happy. You can save that for a dramatic romance show, but in my harem anime, that's exactly what I want. HAREM.

Plus you can't please everyone. When TU showed that Ryoko pretty much nabbed it, they had no problem with Tenchi choosing, yet when Kajishima shows Noike doing a pretty decent job reeling Tenchi in, all hell broke lose. You can't and won't please everyone with a choice, so might as well take all. And don't give me that "at least he chose" bullshit. I've seen countless times the SAME people who want a choice have spaz attacks when the girl they wanted didn't win. Saw this in SPADES with the anime Shuffle!

It's the best option from  both an in-universe perspective and the perspective of the audience for Tenchi to choose them all.

Say Tenchi chooses, then the others most likely wouldn't stay and that is not a scenario that anybody wants. Ryoko would be hurt and would leave and probably never be heard from again, Aeka and Sasami would go back to Jurai with Aeka probably being broken because she's gotten her heart broken AGAIN, Mihoshi would find no reason to stick around, Washu and Noike would probably hit the road too. Tenchi needs them all and they need him, so the harem is the best option. Also, let's not forget that if Mihoshi were to leave, there would be bad blood between the Kuramitsus and Jurai which is a political situation that would be very disastrous.

From the audience perspective, like you guys already stated, obviously him choosing one of the girls isn't going to please all the fans. Someone is gonna be salty, no matter what.

My only thing is, I really wanna know how the sexing works. I doubt they have a set schedule, I'd like to think it's more spontaneous and meaningful than that.

Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 16, 2013, 05:24:11 PM
My only thing is, I really wanna know how the sexing works. I doubt they have a set schedule, I'd like to think it's more spontaneous and meaningful than that.
Someone like Ryoko would try to hog all the moments though. When dealing with harem, its crucial to create some kind of order so everyone gets a fair shake (pun intended).

When Ayeka shut the door on Sasami during Noike's time, its almost as if Sasami KNEW it was Tenchi x Noike time, and was running home just to see Tenchi giving her the business. It seems to be some kind of order going on there.

Hopefully it's something really informal like...I don't know, he works around their period cycles or when they're ovulating or something.

Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 17, 2013, 01:58:26 AM
Hopefully it's something really informal like...I don't know, he works around their period cycles or when their ovulating or something.

I wonder if Ryoko has periods? (probably not seeing as she is 5000 years old) :smith:

I don't know if I've ever brought this up on this forum before, but I've got an anecdote that is somewhat related to this topic. A number of years ago, when I was just getting into TM! and OAV 3 was still in the works, I would show the first two OAVs to a number of friends and family members. You have to realize here, that none of these individuals were fans of the series or fans of any particular girl, so I considered them neutral and unbiased on matters like which girl should get Tenchi. Whenever I'd ask any of these individuals who they thought Tenchi was going to end up with, they'd always tell me one of two things- a) that they thought he'd end up with Sasami/Tsunami (because of how episode 9 ended) or b) that he'd end up in bed with each one of the girls at least once. Not only did nobody think he would choose Ryoko exclusively, but they would always be bewildered when I told them the majority of the TM! fandom believed Ryoko was the one who would win out, saying that they thought Ryoko was the one whom Tenchi seemed the least interested in pursuing a relationship with and saw no indications that he'd choose her exclusively over the other girls. So there you go.

There are shows where I want to see monogamy (El-Hazard OAV1, Makoto and Ifurita) and shows I want to see harem like Tenchi and sekirei.  It all depends on whether I like the characters and think they would get well together.

I would like to see in future OAVs, the girls relationship develop with each other.  Sexual or nonsexual.  I particularly anticipate Ayeka/Sasami, Ayeka/Washu, Ryoko/Mihoshi, and the goddess sisters amongst themselves.  If Kiyone were in it, I would add Kiyone/Sasami.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

I just wanna stake my claim in stating that I'm not a fan of Tokimi being apart of the harem, just sayin.

Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 17, 2013, 06:49:54 AM
I just wanna stake my claim in stating that I'm not a fan of Tokimi being apart of the harem, just sayin.

Reason?  It seems weird to me for Tenchi only to get 2 out of 3 sisters.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Because as far as we know, she's not in love with Tenchi. Having respect for him and calling him "Tenchi-sama" is one thing but I feel like her being apart of the harem would make think that it's just because she's a Chousin. She'd be thrown in there just because she's the third sister.

Quote from: Zigra on February 17, 2013, 03:22:58 AM
I don't know if I've ever brought this up on this forum before, but I've got an anecdote that is somewhat related to this topic. A number of years ago, when I was just getting into TM! and OAV 3 was still in the works, I would show the first two OAVs to a number of friends and family members. You have to realize here, that none of these individuals were fans of the series or fans of any particular girl, so I considered them neutral and unbiased on matters like which girl should get Tenchi. Whenever I'd ask any of these individuals who they thought Tenchi was going to end up with, they'd always tell me one of two things- a) that they thought he'd end up with Sasami/Tsunami (because of how episode 9 ended) or b) that he'd end up in bed with each one of the girls at least once. Not only did nobody think he would choose Ryoko exclusively, but they would always be bewildered when I told them the majority of the TM! fandom believed Ryoko was the one who would win out, saying that they thought Ryoko was the one whom Tenchi seemed the least interested in pursuing a relationship with and saw no indications that he'd choose her exclusively over the other girls. So there you go.

Zig destroys the thread....

To all fans who want Tenchi to choose one...

It may be easier for Tenchi to marry one girl at a time.  We still don't know who is going to be his first wife.  Jurain law does allow Tenchi to have more than one wife.  There is a slight chance that the girl who is going to become Tenchi's first wife has not been introduced. 

Sometime after Contact, it will easier for Tenchi to explain why he has more than one wife.  He does have six women who have serious feelings for him.  By OVA 3's timeline, Tenchi continues to see his female roommates like sisters to him.  By GXP's episodes 16 and 17, Tenchi seems to be starting to accept the fact that he is going to have a harem.  By the time of War on Geminar, Tenchi has already married.   

:omgwtf: