Is there a character you were meh about that you grew into liking?

Started by جبريل 無道, December 06, 2013, 07:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I didn't like Noike at all the first time I saw OVA 3, but she's grown on me (just like OVA 3 did). She's still not close to being my favorite (I don't like bossy people), but I do think she is pretty damn hot when she's got long hair. "And being hot is pretty much always what it's all about." - Nelson Mandela

I'm the only one that likes Chiaia...  :shyboy:

My first reaction to seeing Ryoko was: seriously, grey hair and everything...

I do like Ryoko though, but some of her rabid fanbase *coughTFcough* can make me dislike her at times, until I remember that disliking a character because of the fanbase is fucking stupid.
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

Personally I've never had any issue with Noike, aside from her decision to lop off that long luscious hair. Back when GXP was first released fansubbed I remember thinking who's this chick?! And ugh, short hair... FYI 90% of women with short hair look like shit. Then a couple years later she got a proper introduction with OVA3. The rest really is just history, as they say. In fact if I had any issue, it's that she told Ayeka & Ryoko the truth about why she was there too soon. They really should have played that out throughout OVA3.

I never minded that she "replaced" Kiyone Makibi, whom was really just an overworked 80s career woman with no interest in teenage boys and possibly men in general and wore gawky 80s aerobics gear with everything. And no, I don't give a flying crap how she was portrayed in a bunch of really crappy lightnovels, that will never be translated to English and I certainly do not give a flying crap how anyone was portrayed in Tokyo. That's right, I can use that "defense" too. Ha-Ha.

But I like Ryoko...
Well, she was my childhood favorite character until I re-watched Tenchi Muyo when I was older. Then I began to appreciate the others. Especially Aeka.
White hair, ironically, is very appealing to us. I don't know why, especially when we associate it with death, demons, ghosts, the afterlife.... and then to find it appealing.

I just had a terrifying probable realization. That one will not appreciate the tsundere character, unless they had an Asian mother... And.... No, that's just terrifying.
I do not approve of Tenchi x Achika/Kiyone! >.<
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

Quote from: Auir on December 10, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

White hair, ironically, is very appealing to us. I don't know why, especially when we associate it with death, demons, ghosts, the afterlife.... and then to find it appealing.

As a kid you just watched The Bride With White Hair one too many times, admit it. :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/v/8Fdi2DMeZlI

No, it wasn't that.
I don't believe I watched that one actually. >.>
It may have been the TV series version of that. But I don't think the storylines are matching up.

Quote from: Auir on December 10, 2013, 03:04:17 PM
I just had a terrifying probable realization. That one will not appreciate the tsundere character, unless they had an Asian mother... And.... No, that's just terrifying.

What. I don't dislikes Chia because her mom is not Asian but because she is always bitch to Kenchi and even trying kill him for a guy who doesn't even like her.

Nonono, that's not the message I was getting at. >.<
It's something only those who grew up in similar circumstances understand.
Edit:
Here, let me explain. A person's psych will develop around their surroundings and things that influence them in their everyday lies. In some cases, certain fetishes might occur when females act in a way a very influential person would.
And that thought is terrifying to me.

Okay, so you think nobody outside Japan can likes tsundere ? That weird because the first anime forum I was a member was a French Rumiko Takahashi site where most of the people liked Akane and I see many French and English people liking pairing with tsundere as Asuka x Shinji from NGE or Louise x Saito from Familiar of Zero. Yes, it has people who dislikes tsundere, but others like it. And it has also the case of people who likes tsunderes and dislike others. For example, I like Sanada from Dual because she is not a total bitch like Chia.

Quote from: shades of blue on December 10, 2013, 08:53:27 AMI never minded that she "replaced" Kiyone Makibi, whom was really just an overworked 80s career woman with no interest in teenage boys and possibly men in general and wore gawky 80s aerobics gear with everything. And no, I don't give a flying crap how she was portrayed in a bunch of really crappy lightnovels, that will never be translated to English and I certainly do not give a flying crap how anyone was portrayed in Tokyo. That's right, I can use that "defense" too. Ha-Ha.

But.... the novels were the originals, at least pertaining to her.  This post makes me sad ._. 

I'll be honest, I like Kiyone for what I pretend her to be and not really the novels and that her character design would look good with Tenchi.  Though while I can't get into Noike, I don't really mind if others can.  But I don't buy the TU portrayal of her as a career woman either, since the show started the  butcher of everyone else.  If she were to be put in the OAV, MK could essentially have a blank slate and he did think Kiyone would be the best of all the girls for Tenchi.

The novels were crappy and even the Ryoko fanbois at certain places have no interest in Hasegawa's weird stories (including the incestuous Mayuka ones) beyond the fact she was a Ryoko fangirl.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

I mean the b**chy characters.
Edit:
That's where I find the part people don't really appreciate and hate. The character's tendency to act dominant and get on other people's nerves. Or, truly dominate other people. It's rare to see anyone appreciate those kinds of characters.

Quote from: Auir on December 10, 2013, 09:07:16 PM
Edit:
That's where I find the part people don't really appreciate and hate. The character's tendency to act dominant and get on other people's nerves. Or, truly dominate other people. It's rare to see anyone appreciate those kinds of characters.

Did you really just censer your self?

I thought I always did. >.>

Edit:

Asuka and Louise does it and I see them having a lot of fans. 

Quote from: Gaston on December 11, 2013, 05:56:42 AM
Edit:

Asuka and Louise does it and I see them having a lot of fans.

Yeah, also, Akane Tendo has a lot of fans on both sides of the Pacific, and she's one of the most well known tsunderes out there.

How large in comparison? And, did they grow up in similar conditions? Being around... b**chy people?
Edit:
My hypothesis is that, for people to stand or like these types of characters, they must have been through similar situations in the past where they developed a resistance or some kind of defense mechanism like fetishes to deal with it.