they are dubbing ai Tenchi

Started by Eff Efferson, February 22, 2018, 03:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: WarOmnimon on February 27, 2018, 12:50:17 PM
^ OHOHO.  Craziest super awesome random idea ever... and you know, I didn't even think I'd want something like this until now.  Put Ai's story in the hands of the fans rather than an incompetent director like Negishi.  Yeah, that would have been a better idea, actually.  I would have been for this.  :)

If we're being fair here, the concept seemed fucked from the get-go. The entire thing felt like it was suppose to be different than what we got but AIC for some reason felt it necessary to throw Tenchi within' the mix. The unorthodox setup, being constrained around the idea that it's a glorified commercial for tourism would damper any well thought out plans for something legit.

I'm not a 100% on the politics behind it, but that's the gist of it I think. All I'm saying is that under ordinary circumstances it wouldn't have been like this. 

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on February 27, 2018, 02:32:12 PMFrom what I've seen Universe seems to be more popular in the west than the OVA's. OVA 3 seems to have really burned a lot of people over here. So if Universe is more popular it would make more sense for them to license Ai because it was also directed by Negishi.

OBJECTION.  Your point about OVA 3 is valid, but when you look at Universe and Ai, there's a HUGE difference.  Universe didn't worf the main girls at all.  Ai worfed them to the ground and back.  And the only season that REALLY worfed the main girls at any level prior was Tokyo... which is HATED over here.  Not considering certain factors, bro.  You're just picking and choosing details and you can't do that.

As for OVA 3 burning the fans, it's as Based Fap said.  It probably has to do with the dub being off in so many ways.  That's why I'm with him in terms of it needing a redub.  Funi needs to redub OVA 3, end of story.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on February 27, 2018, 02:32:12 PMI know Photon wasn't released by Funimation, but you were acting as if releasing an anime with less than 12 episodes is impossible. If length was really a factor than anime movies would sell like shit.

Wasn't meant to come off that way.  My point was that most of Funi's releases are 12 episodes or more aside from movies, so them attempting to do this will be more difficult than usual.  Never said it wouldn't sell because of length, I'm just saying that it's not what Funi is used to dealing with.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on February 27, 2018, 02:32:12 PMRyoko and the rest are just as insignificant in OVA 4 as they seem to be in Ai

...DOUBLE OBJECTION.  At least the main girls are doing legit relevant stuff from time to time during OVA 4.  Ai?  Not so much.  They just welcome Tenchi back home a couple of times, say a couple of things here and there... but legit NOTHING in terms of the overall main plot until the endgame.

Quote from: Monster Man on February 27, 2018, 07:09:46 PMIf we're being fair here, the concept seemed fucked from the get-go. The entire thing felt like it was suppose to be different than what we got but AIC for some reason felt it necessary to throw Tenchi within' the mix. The unorthodox setup, being constrained around the idea that it's a glorified commercial for tourism would damper any well thought out plans for something legit.

I'm not a 100% on the politics behind it, but that's the gist of it I think. All I'm saying is that under ordinary circumstances it wouldn't have been like this.

That's what I always thought too.  The fact that the main girls got worfed worse than they did in Tokyo, the setting being completely different from the OVAs, Universe, and even Tokyo... yeah, probably something political and they just decided to shoehorn Tenchi into it.  It probably would have worked better if it wasn't Tenchi at all.  Basically replace Tenchi with a regular male protag in the same spot, have the whole endgame involving Momo, Beni, and Hachiko actually being from Feudal Japan or something (The way Jurai was portrayed in the end seemed more Feudal Japan than Jurai), and call it something else.

Yeah... that would have actually worked, honestly.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

If they were doing this ten years ago I would have been on board but due to me not really being interested in dubs anymore and that Ai Tenchi to me is low down on the list of Tenchi media I care about, I'm not too hyped.
This is not a sig, it's a Sandwich.

More pleased that it's licensed.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Jennifer Darling and Kate Vogt (Ayeka & Washu) are the only ones not returning...
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

What can you do?  :emot-iiam:

:gonk:
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on March 10, 2018, 02:49:31 AM
Jennifer Darling and Kate Vogt (Ayeka & Washu) are the only ones not returning...

but why  :emot-commissar:

ms.vogt is pretty busy doing shakespear these days.
https://twitter.com/osfashland/status/827953654737022982
https://twitter.com/osfashland/status/957378954553446401

dunno about ms.darling
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Good on KT.  :bravo:

March 14, 2018, 07:34:54 AM #39 Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:07:15 AM by جبريل 無道
Relying on memory, but AiTM is like around 180 minutes without the pointless recaps.  Will they sell it in a 2 or 3 parts of about 8/9 compiled episodes?

It will probably do better here than it did in Japan, but still remain a largely forgotten anime.  I hope Momo gets a good voice.

It's amazing that it still takes 3/4 years for it to come over, especially since it wasn't some blockbuster they tried to milk as long as possible.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on March 10, 2018, 07:50:39 AM
ms.vogt is pretty busy doing shakespear these days.
https://twitter.com/osfashland/status/827953654737022982
https://twitter.com/osfashland/status/957378954553446401

dunno about ms.darling

Probably pays more I can't blame her for that, Voice acting here isn't that great pay wise :neg:

April 06, 2018, 07:08:11 PM #41 Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:15:22 PM by WarOmnimon
Funimation just made it official today... and no word on OVA 4.  *Shakes fist at Funimation*  Yup, they blew it.  Tenchi's gonna be deader than dead over here before we ever see OVA 4.  As I said, they should have bought them both over together to prevent that from happening.  And of course, the possibility of Funi holding OVA 4 hostage behind Ai having good sales now exists.  As soon as most fans find out that this series was received worse than Tenchi in Tokyo even in Japan, they're not gonna bother.  MAYDAY, MAYDAY!

Anyway, moving on from that before it becomes a rant.  If anything, I'm most curious about who will be providing the voices for Momo & friends (The only one we know is Hachiko, Mona Marshall has that role), and hoping that they get good portrayals... but that's about it at this point.

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on March 10, 2018, 02:49:31 AMJennifer Darling and Kate Vogt (Ayeka & Washu) are the only ones not returning...

We have a reason for Vogt not returning, so that I can understand.  But why isn't Darling back?  They'd better have a good replacement lined up for Ayeka, because her voice in GXP just didn't work.  I will say this now... we'd better not get Rebecca Forstadt again.  She was just as off key as Ayeka as Marshall was as Ryoko.  Washu's voice in GXP's dub, from what I heard of it, wasn't as off key, so if they bring Jessica Gee (Or even bring Luci Christian over from the dub of Sasami: Magical Girls Club) back, that's okay with me.

So yup, this dub now definitely seems like "one step forward, two steps back".  The step forward being Burchard's return, the two steps back being Vogt and Darling being gone.  Hopefully the English voices for the new girls were chosen properly, because getting Ryoko's original voice back but at the same time losing both Washu AND Ayeka's original voices is effectively going to be a sucker punch to the gut for most people (And already is for me).
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

QuoteBut why isn't Darling back?

Hopefully, she's enjoying retirement. It seems she hasn't done any work since 2015.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0201373/

Quote from: Harls on April 08, 2018, 04:19:39 AMHopefully, she's enjoying retirement. It seems she hasn't done any work since 2015.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0201373/

Ah, that answers that question.  Thanks.

But yeah, my biggest concern with Ai's dub right now is the voices.  Specifically who will be voicing the new girls as well as Ayeka and Washu.  Hopefully, Ayeka and Washu's new voices are good (And as I said, they'd better not bring back Rebecca Forstadt for Ayeka - that was just as bad as Mona Marshall's Ryoko), and hopefully Momo and friends get good voices as well.

As much as I dislike Ai, I am curious about its dub to see who the English voices are gonna be (And listen to them).  Especially Ayeka and Washu's given that they'll likely also be involved in the (Hopefully) inevitable dub of OVA 4.

I vote Gilbert godfrey as the voice of ayeka
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here