OVA4 Tokimi

Started by Y_Anthony_Who, March 04, 2017, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So in OVA4 Ep 1, what did Tokimi mean by "I don't have much power remaining, but when we three sisters reunite, I'll be able to completely release myself."??

What is she talking about? Girl, you omnipotent.

Is this translation correct, or missing a nuance that makes more sense?  :emot-iiam:

March 04, 2017, 11:08:12 PM #1 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:59:59 AM by Monster Man
Maybe it was for the same reason Tenchi has been a normal guy up until this very point. Similar with Washu too, where she couldn't tap into her immense power in that reincarnated form.

I just assume that their 'avatars' might brandish a limiter to what they can and cannot do, at least until certain specifications are met.

Yeah, I wondered about that as well. My mind wondered if it ultimately might have something to do with Kenshi's mission to Geminar. But that's just what popped into my head when I viewed the episode the first time.

March 05, 2017, 11:41:17 AM #3 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:44:31 AM by Hellohi
Maybe it has something to do with Tsunami and Washu operating in the 3rd dimension still? Remember Tokimi had a seal of some kind on the other two and it had to be released so they could supress Tenchi. Maybe it's still the same, and maybe even more so now that all 3 of them are operating in the same dimension?

Also, they are omnipotent but maybe they can counteract each other in a way, like when Tokimi clashed with Tsunami because of Sasami and Z and how Kagato nearly captured the ship Tsunami through Washu's gems.

So if Tokimi is still in charge of that seal, maybe that is why her power is limited, she still is in charge of the seal on the other 2 perhaps. And once they reunited(seal broken, Tsunami and Washu fully ascended) then maybe that's when she has her full power.

And Maybe Tenchi's power has something to do with it.

Remember that in OVA3 we were shown that the Choushin have self-imposed seals placed on them, that can only be undone by all 3 working together.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Quote from: antvasima on March 05, 2017, 03:40:01 PM
Remember that in OVA3 we were shown that the Choushin have self-imposed seals placed on them, that can only be undone by all 3 working together.

I think Tokimi is in charge of the seal. When she and Tsunami clashed, She told Tsunami that she will usurp all of her power, and then Washu later tells Tokimi to release the seal so they could suppress Tenchi.

Yeah, Tokimi was in charge of the seal.

I can't be sure but I sounded like a odd translation... rather than "I don't have much power" It could be something "I can't use much power" because of the limits of the 3rd dimension.

That makes sense, yes.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Quote from: X18999 on March 06, 2017, 07:57:12 AM
I can't be sure but I sounded like a odd translation... rather than "I don't have much power" It could be something "I can't use much power" because of the limits of the 3rd dimension.

It would be interesting to get another take on that line. I know from discussions during the official translations of OVA 3 that the official translator found some of the text quite the challenge to translate properly due to Kajishima-sensei's writing. 

Whole line sounded like a mistranslation to me. Now I could be wrong, but I believe this might be a little closer to home - "It's custom fit to limit my power. Until the three of us come together, my true form would trigger the complete destruction of the third dimension".

I left this line as it was in my subs. Tokimi said a few things I've never heard before so I'm not 100% sure on this. I believe the allusion here is that Tokimi expended a ton of energy toward the end of OVA3, and is in her current form because that is all she able to do with the power she has left. The Choushin's whole is greater than the sum of the parts, so 1+1+1=something more or a lot more than 3. She's slowly regaining power by naturally recharging, but a whole new shitstorm of shit will be unleashed the next time the 3 of them are together the way were in OVA3, or so I gather from the dialog.   

Honestly I feel like I'm missing something I'm expected to know from a doujinshi or novel with that whole scene. It seems like there is something bigger going on that would only be addressed in more than a few sentences, but this does come from the same guy who casually said "Oh BTW, it's weird on Earth but on Jurai incest is best" in one throwaway line, so I'm not putting it past him either.

Anyway, if you want to check out my subs the v2 is now out at https://ecchioujisama.wordpress.com/
The official site for my translation efforts:

http://ecchioujisama.wordpress.com

Needing to recharge doesn't make sense to me. Not in the context of everything we've ever learned about the Choushin through the show itself and other materials. It also contradicts episode +1, where she was, again, omnipotent and could change forms freely. Shades's idea sounds more likely to be closer, considering OVA3 ended with Tokimi wanting to get the down-to-earth experience like her sisters had, but I know 0% Japanese.

Also, with royal families on Earth incest was considered best. It's only been a hundred, maybe 2 hundred years, and now we all act like Juraians are weird. Earthlings are hypocrites!

Anyways, thanks for the subs!

It makes perfect sense to me, since they're only in super god mode doing everything that went down at the end of OVA3, and even then Tenchi had more power than all of them put together, so they're only omnipotent until something more omnipotenter comes around.  Whether the circumstances make sense or not Tokimi clearly says that her condition is temporary, a result of running low of god power (for a lack of better way to explain it, not literally what she said) and that three of them being together is going to make everything better in Japanese. Given that she, Washu and Sasami are all there and she isn't recharged already it's clear that is in the astral/god sense, not the physical sense. She uses very polite language which trips me up a bit, but if you want to dispute that much of it you need to explain where my Japanese in going awry. Whether it makes sense to you or not, I can only tell you what she said.
The official site for my translation efforts:

http://ecchioujisama.wordpress.com

March 07, 2017, 09:25:18 PM #14 Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:42:14 AM by shades of blue
All I can say that the very last thing she makes mention of, to me, either implied that 'the third dimension would be destroyed' or possibly that 'the previous incident, which nearly destroyed the third dimension depleted her strength'. The later might be a closer interpretation of what she said, if she did indeed make note that her powers are depleted. As that could be implying that reversing time to undo the damage came at a cost and would explain why the three choushin do not simply undo every little pleasantry in the lives of their test subjects, like death, etc. Also one should keep in mind that the higher dimensional beings do not consider themselves 'gods', so their powers, which seem infinite to us could be considered finite by their own standards.

EDIT:
Finally watched the episode and the translation looks pretty damn good. I haven't watched it with the original bane subs, so I can't comment on any differences, but I can say that the subs they look great. Tho for whatever reason what Tokimi says does feel off. Kinda reminds me of the subs for Isekai, at the end, when Wahanly comments on the compressed energy stone phasing from a solid to something intangible. With Kajishima there's always got to be at least one line somewhere, that leaves you scratching your head.