Does anyone know why Kagato couldn't control Ryoko anymore?

Started by Hellohi, March 16, 2017, 09:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
When he arrives on Earth he controls her and uses her. Yet on the Souja he is fighting her even though she still has one of the real gems.

Was it ever explained why he couldn't control her anymore? Was it ever explained why he had the control to begin with? Did he help Washu create Ryoko? Maybe only the two of them can control her and Ryo-Ohki?

It seems like the control was through the gems, they glowed green when he took control....

Maybe it had something to do with Washu waking up and overiding any possible control he had? But still why would he turn her into stone instead of just enslaving her again?

Yes! Kagato did help create Ryoko, and he did control her thru the gems. He uses the Souja, which he laments isn't as compact as Ryoko, to use the gems which is also how he restricted Tsunami.

Ryoko broke free simply because of the classic "power of love". The same way she escaped when Tenchi got blown up.

These answers and more from 101 Tenchi Muyo! Facts!

Quote from: Hellohi on March 16, 2017, 09:49:46 PM
When he arrives on Earth he controls her and uses her. Yet on the Souja he is fighting her even though she still has one of the real gems.

Was it ever explained why he couldn't control her anymore? Was it ever explained why he had the control to begin with? Did he help Washu create Ryoko? Maybe only the two of them can control her and Ryo-Ohki?

It seems like the control was through the gems, they glowed green when he took control....

Maybe it had something to do with Washu waking up and overriding any possible control he had? But still why would he turn her into stone instead of just enslaving her again?

... while it is never directly stated why this is it can be inferred to be a few things.

1. ryoko is partially made of mass, and so is kagato. in general mass react to loose their will to a greater one when one is present. essentially ryoko was for the most part outwitted by kagato but as u can see in parts she was able to slightly force control back over herself just not very well.  in the novels its also shown that kagato had a pretty tight mental grip on ryoko. like she was off trying her own stuff but only cause kagato allowed it. he had her pretty mentally conditioned

2. yes he was using the gems to control her aswell it would seem but i hate to tell everyone this, that makes no sense. the gems have a will of their own if anything the gems are why a personality evolved in ryoko eventually and why zero was able to break away from doctor clay.... so yeah that's a problem with that.

3.its entirely possible that he was letting her fight him and letting her run to tenchi. to see him dead. because kagato is a jerkface. when he is fighting her he isn't even worried about her in the slightest. she doesn't scare him. he is just amusing himself.
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

In regards to your 3rd point, Fap, It says in the 101:

"94. How did Kagato control Ryoko?
Answer:
By mind-control.
More details ...
When Kagato confined Washu, Ryoko was only a child. He had mind-control over her at this time. So when she was controlled by Kagato in ep.5, you can see her jewel glittering. Even this mind-control was not enough to suppress Ryoko's emotions upon Tenchi's presumed death."

As far as 2 goes: To the contrary! Whether we agree or not it's the canon answer, and I believe it is both consistent and makes perfect sense! And I hope you will agree, cuz I can't keep a conversation very long, for reasons. -_-;;;

The gems have only ever exercised their will very sparingly when the Choushin's plans were being effected in some negative way. B1, B2, and B3 all used the power of the gems on opposite sides of an intergalactic war, and Ryoko used them for pirating for Kagato. The ancients figured out how to use the gems with their Washu clone bioroids, and Washu herself set out to create Ryoko with the goal of harnessing the gems' powers. Kagato spent 5,000 years updating and modding the Souja that Washu started, and even though it's not a pretty lady it's essentially a giant soulless metal spaceship Ryoko body, if it helps to think of it that way.

I would add that the whole ordeal actually did benefit the will of the gems. I think of it as a sort of "let's see where this goes" situation. In fact the gems default "will" appears to be "let's see where this goes", wouldn't you say?

To the point of the gems having a will of their own, it's possible that the gems could 'see' or predict (for a lack of a better word) the necessary steps in order to eventually meet a potentially higher being, Tenchi. After all, this is the Chousin's primary goal, it would be safe to assume the gems will follows the will of those that created them. And if that meant going through Kagato and thus Ryoko... well...

I would love to know more on this, KM doesn't go into great depths into what is a really interesting subject.. The gems are always just there, powerful, but merely secondary to the Jurai storyline.

I always thought the will of the gems was just Chousin Washu's will. I don't think they can see into the future and know the steps to the higher being because it's Washu's power and most likely her will(who else would it be) and we already know the Chousin didn't know how.

"Don't do it or it will be a repeat". That's just Washu's true self telling the human Washu to not release herself because the whole point of her being a human is to find the higher being frim scratch.

Maybe Washu's godly power is what allowed Ryoko to develop her own personality away from Kagato and allow Zero to do the impossible and disobey Clay(and maybe Kami Tenchi and being in love with him has something to do with that also the same way all these powerful women ended up in his house by fate)but the "Will" is just Chousin Washu making sure human Washu stays human with her true memories bound for the purpose of finding the higher being.

all good points. i still think in general kagato did nothing to controle her again after she broke free to go search for tenchis body because he found it amusing / didnt consider her a real threat. kagato is an egotistical jerkbag afterall
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on March 17, 2017, 11:41:45 PM
all good points. i still think in general kagato did nothing to controle her again after she broke free to go search for tenchis body because he found it amusing / didnt consider her a real threat. kagato is an egotistical jerkbag afterall

Me too. The only point at which I would guess he was inclined was when he couldn't interrogate Ayeka, for a 2 against 1 but by then he was in jerk bag mode and formulating his next plan to entice Tsunami by threatening Earth.

Quote from: Maysiiu on March 18, 2017, 05:32:38 AM
Quote from: Fap_fapperson on March 17, 2017, 11:41:45 PM

Me too. The only point at which I would guess he was inclined was when he couldn't interrogate Ayeka, for a 2 against 1 but by then he was in jerk bag mode and formulating his next plan to entice Tsunami by threatening Earth.

yeah basicly everything was going to his plan really until god fucking showed up and dematerialised his ass with a fucking physics defying sword.  ... i hate when that happens
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Hellohi on March 17, 2017, 07:39:30 PM
I always thought the will of the gems was just Chousin Washu's will. I don't think they can see into the future and know the steps to the higher being because it's Washu's power and most likely her will(who else would it be) and we already know the Chousin didn't know how.

Exactly.

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on March 18, 2017, 11:17:54 AM
yeah basicly everything was going to his plan really until god fucking showed up and dematerialised his ass with a fucking physics defying sword.  ... i hate when that happens

Sucks doesn't it. Especially when your 5000 year old plan is going so swimmingly. :|

the only thing he could have done to make his plan go better would have been to whip it out and tell ayeka he was yosho so she would suck it. 
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

If only he abandoned his quest for Washu's gems in exchange for a more applicable alternative.