[AiTM] How would you rewrite Ai Tenchi Muyo?

Started by Gaston, December 27, 2014, 09:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 27, 2014, 09:26:28 PM Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:04:48 AM by جبريل 無道
I liked Sasami as school girl. Too bad it didn't last long. Why not just made the show about Sasami as a student and Tenchi and the girls are teachers so they can keep and eye on her? And the new girls can be students at Sasami's class.

That sounds 1000x better already.  Why don't you work for AIC?

:swink:
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Also I would make Rui x Yuki canon because they are clearly lesbians lovers and Sasami class would take a road trip and finally make the goddamn promoting tourism that never happened.

Or maybe only Sasami would go at school and she test which girls can be in Tenchi harem. :emot-smugdog:

December 28, 2014, 01:05:27 AM #3 Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:33:47 AM by Lоиεѕомεиεѕѕ
In my rewrite, while Tenchi would [still be] the main male character, I'd add new male characters to break the absurd harem ideal. It'd be Tenchi's adventures. Some of the settings would be his school, the shrine, the carrot field, the cemetery, beaches, mountains, the desert, the forest, the ocean, an iceberg, an island, the clouds, Jurai, different moons and other planets, Heaven, Hell, character minds, the past, the present, and the future. In the end, Tenchi would be with only one girl.

Action. Suspense. Thriller. Angst. Musical. Drama. Romance. Comedy.
Neko-Usagi-Kitsune-Mahou Shoujo/Shounen. Mecha-Fantasy.
Ecchi for PG-13-rated nudity, profanity, and violence.
⚆_⚆

in my rewrite, the series is a harem series like Tenchi in Tokyo and Universe.  Tenchi has just graduated from college.  Before he graduated from college, Tenchi had decided to become a high school teacher.  Tenchi will do most of his training at all places, Junai Academy.  Junai Academy is an all girls's private boarding school.  Before Tenchi can do his training to become a teacher,  one of Washu's experiments goes astray.  The experiment which Washu was doing was focus on studying the effects of time paradoxes.

The time paradox which occurs is similar to the one which had occurred in AI: TENCHI MUYO. First,  Washu makes an attempt to correct the paradox by sending Tenchi to the past.  Somehow while Tenchi was in the past, an accident occurs which cause Momo to be sent to the present.  Now, the paradox threatens to tear apart the fabric of the Universe itself.  Now, Tenchi must figure out what is causing the paradox which threatens to destroy the Universe.  Tenchi learns from his grandfather Katshito that Momo was a very important ancestor of his.  Tenchi must figure out what is going on, and  how to bring Momo back to the past.

Momo's presence in the present has caused the paradox which threatens to destroy the Universe.  It turns that the paradox is not the original  one which Tenchi was sent to the past to correct.

While my rewrite sounds like the plot for AI, I will do my best to explore the links between the past and the present.  The rewrite will include Katsuhito since he was an important character in the first three Tenchi series.  Katsuhito remains the Chief Priest of the Masaki Shrine. Tenchi has started some duties as an associate priest. Sasami is going to Junai Academy because she is one of the persons with the perfect entrance exam scores. The series is set in Present Day Takahashi City.

:bravo: :really: :crash:

Quote from: Gaston on December 27, 2014, 09:26:28 PM
I liked Sasami as school girl. Too bad it didn't last long. Why not just made the show about Sasami as a student and Tenchi and the girls are teachers so they can keep and eye on her? And the new girls can be students at Sasami's class.

Warning: Pairing fannishness ahead but left vague.

I like this idea, but instead of keeping an eye on her, what if the show would be a Tenchi/Pretty Sammy Crossover where both are heroes of the story?  I think Pretty Sammy would have been better suited to a 5 minute idea and she is a popular character in Japan among men (and was hardly in AiTM screentime wise and as a factor changing anything).  Make the original Tenchi girls the cast again, keep it a TU centric-verse, and use Time and Space Pretty Sammy as the excuse for her appearance and the new girls, if they must, just the more visible student population at first.  Momo and Hachiko can still stay top new girls.

Ryoko and Mihoshi become the gym teachers and Ryoko drives her students insanely hard and bests them at everything while Mihoshi is up to hijinks and mayhem and drives Ryoko nuts (only way her students catch a break).  Washu is the science teacher and often goes off on a tangent, teaching the students really inappopriate stuff, like how to hack Sony.  Ayeka can become a type of etiquette and protocol teacher, who loses her temper at really fun times.

I would have cut out Beni, as she's completely pointless imo.  Touri would be mostly a 1 episode gag character, perhaps a PS gag groupie if they really needed one.  Hana would want to be the teacher's pet, scarily so.  Yuki would take over science class in Washu's absences (and without her approval) and use Rui as her hapless demonstration guinea pig.  I would have cut out the new mascot, gouriki-kun or whatever, the robot didn't interest me a bit.

Sasami being Pretty Sammy can be the revelation at the end, as Ayeka thinks she's too young to fight and that's her way around it.  And there would be an excuse to have battles around Okayamas landmarks with Tenchi Masaki and Pretty Sammy joining forces.

Pretty unclear who the antagonist is, making it a fellow student would be pretty cliche, but even so, perhaps make it a Prince of a competing royal family, who is several hundred years old, but looks teenage, and the mastermind of the whole thing, perhaps, who befriends many of the new girls (say Yuki, Rui, Hana, Touri, Beni -if she has to be there-) and Momo is the one girl concerned about this as she sees signs that he brainwashes them to do his bidding.  Perhaps there is an election for a new leader of Jurai coming up and he wants to take Tenchi out of the running.  Maybe with violence, maybe with politics and scandal.

Hachiko turns out to be the wild card, Ayeka reveals to the group after a sequence that her sword style is that of a Jurain knight, unmistakeable, but no one knows her allegiance as she comes into the action as a third wheel, and doesn't seem to help one side or the other overly, but has her own objective.  By the end, we learn that she's a descendant of Azaka himself, and was sent by him to help as he felt a debt of gratitude for being awoken, but was too old in the meantime and felt his granddaughter needed the experience.  To complicate matters, his family is bonded to the rogue prince's line since aeons, and Hachiko could not take direct action against him.  But her appearance unnerved the prince, who didn't know who she was, and the Prince eventually attacked her, breaking the bond and freeing Hachiko from service.

The subplot, mirroring the upcoming Jurai election, is that Sasami can run for student president against Misao (or Momo).  I forget who wins, but one makes the other their vice president, so both are president a short while, but then the VP turned P resigns and it's left to the treasurer who is Yuki, and the end scene of the anime we see her laughing about "unlimited power" and get the distinct feeling that a new mad scientist is born that will cause problems.

Upon resigning, Sasami walks home with Tenchi and the rest, telling them she prefers to get tutored by Ayeka and Washu and Mihoshi and even Ryoko, earth school is just too hectic for her :)  Her new friend, Momo runs up from behind and asks if she can join them, it's clear she has a crush on Tenchi.  Hachiko is seen standing guard at the Masaki residence entrance.  Where it goes from there is anyone's imagination.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

How would I re-write AiTM? I wouldn't. I would scrap it entirely and either make an adaption of If in its place or make a completely different series that has absolutely none of Ai's elements to it. Frankly, I've seen nothing about Ai that makes me think that any of it is worth saving, and none of the new characters interest me enough for me to think they deserve a place in the TM! mythology. Throw the whole mess in the garbage, I say.

I would also much rather see all of Mister Kajishima's supplementary material animated.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Glad to see Tenchi fans in this thread also agree this series was a bit poor. Folks at another site which I will not name think it's a great series and a step in the right direction. I think it was a step backwards.

Kudos to whoever said they'd rewrite it with only the original girls, maybe a couple new male characters, and Tenchi ending up with someone (only one).

But we know this will never happen.

edit: I agree with Zigra's post 100%

Here's my list for another rewrite.

-  Keeping  the school festival.  The school festival shows the conflict between the Science Club and the Student Gov't very well.

-  Two or three episodes which focus on the Feudal Japan timeline. One episode can be focus on a flashback.

- Washu explaining the cause of the Space-Time Rift to Tenchi, Sasami, Ayeka, and Ryoko.

- AI's Washu will be a composite of Ryo-Ohki's  Washu and Universe's Washu.

- Katsuhito appearing in some of the epsiodes. 

- Sasami going to Junai Academy as a  Grade One high school student.

- Ryo-Ohki appearing in some episodes. She is still a very important character.

-  an Antagonist who happens to be either from the Galaxy Police, the Galaxy Academy or both.

- an explanation of Ryoko's weird meals. Her meals seem not to be look very delicious.

- How Momo's presence in the present was a result of the space-time rift.

- Keep the new female characters.

- Some episodes focusing on Tenchi and the new female characters.

- Some episodes focusing on the original female characters including  Kiyone.

- Nobuyuki appearing into a couple of episodes with Tenchi's stepmother.

- The show starting out after Washu had created the space-time rift

I hope that another series will save the Tenchi Muyo franchise.  AI: TENCHI MUYO  needs a lot of work if AIC wants to develop it further into an anime series. 
:really: