Digimon

Started by Ryo-Okay, July 29, 2018, 10:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
What a disappointment the Thanksgiving event was. Just what we need, another fucking Adventure sequel. With how terrible Tri was I'm definitely going to skip this.

At least Survive looks like it could be okay even though I don't really like SRPGs.

Regarding yet another Adventure sequel, fully agreed.  Hopefully, it's only one movie this time (And as of this moment, it looks like that's what it's gonna be) and we also get a TV series that ISN'T Adventure.  Toei's overmilking that cow at this point, and quite frankly, I'm shocked that they're even doing so given that tri episode 5 got 1 star ratings on Amazon Japan and everything, which proves that even the Japanese fans are sick of it at this point.

As far as Bandai (And by extension also Bandai Namco Games) goes, however... they've been doing great with their Digimon stuff lately.  Digimon Survive being an SRPG will be a breath of fresh air given that they've only done one SRPG before in the past, and that's Anode / Cathode Tamer back in the WonderSwan days.  And they confirmed during that stream that we do have another Digimon Story game coming afterward.  On which note, don't even get me started on Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory; I'll be sitting here all day singing so many praises about that game that it's crazy.  Best Digimon game so far, PERIOD.

Of course, while not everyone's cup of tea, the 20th anniversary releases of the original Digimon virtual pets, specifically the Digital Monster Version 20th and Digimon Pendulum Version 20ths, are great too.  I have one of the original 20ths and both Pendulum 20ths, and they're really neato if you're into that kind of thing.  All of the original lineups are available, as well as unlockable characters which include the anniversary Digimon (Dracomon, Hackmon, and Zubamon on the original 20ths, and Ludomon on the Pendulum 20ths).  Safe to say, those 20th anniversary v-pets will appeal the most to people like me who know Digimon beyond the anime.  I was really happy to see Belphemon's entire line make the Pendulum 20th lineup for example; we don't see Phascomon, Porcupamon, and Astamon pop up enough.

...but yeah, I'm gonna stop my wall of text here.  Short version, Toei is failing so hard but Bandai is succeeding nicely.  Ignore the anime for now like I'm going to and enjoy everything else Digimon has to offer beyond the anime such as the video games and so forth, because that's all good stuff.  :)
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

I forgot I made this thread, but I'm going to bump it since I've been on a bit of a Digimon kick lately. It started with me picking up Digimon World on a whim and for the last week and a bit I've been going back and forth between stuff.

I'm currently at 30 something prosperity in Digimon World. I'll probably take a break for a while since my Angemon died, and I don't really feel like raising a new Digimon right now. I also played a bit of Digimon Anode Tamer since I saw Tag Tamers finally got a finished fan translation. I'll try to plow through that quick since it has been a while since I played it last, and then I'll move on to Tag Tamers.

And now to make this post actually anime related, I have started watching Digimon Savers. This is my favorite season, but this is my first time watching it subbed. It's been a while since I last watched it so I had forgotten how bad the animation could get early on. Hopefully the quality gets a bit better later on.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on August 27, 2020, 11:41:10 PM
And now to make this post actually anime related, I have started watching Digimon Savers. This is my favorite season, but this is my first time watching it subbed. It's been a while since I last watched it so I had forgotten how bad the animation could get early on. Hopefully the quality gets a bit better later on.
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well; Savers is one of my favorite seasons, too! :) As for the animation quality, you're watching it subbed. The digital edits to the visuals that got made to the dub (You'll notice them when you see them) aren't a thing here, so those details won't look nearly as off as they were in the dub.

Anyway, Digimon stuff I've been doing as of late. I'm watching Digimon Adventure: (Which is actually a pretty good reboot, they changed a lot of stuff, too much to mention here), I watched Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna last night (Which while it has its flaws is still much, much better than Digimon Adventure tri., which is the one thing I was hoping it would be), and recently raised Magnamon X on my Digital Monster X3 Yellow. I'll be raising NoblePumpkinmon on the X3 Yellow closer to Halloween for obvious reasons.

I am currently waiting for more information on Digimon Survive (Aren't we all?), and also for my Wave 1 Digimon Pendulum Zs and Digivice: to arrive in November. As neat as the Digivice: looks (LEDs around the display and it has actual gameplay), the Pendulum Zs should be especially fun; they have mostly new Digimon, both completely new (10 in total; they're all great, but MarineKimeramon is probably my favorite) and introduced throughout the year before their reveal (Including Morphomon from Kizuna, whose Champion and Ultimate are established to be Hudiemon and Jewelbeemon which the movie didn't do; they haven't revealed her Mega yet though) alike, and Digimon that don't appear in v-pet lineups often (You want five of the Warrior Ten? Well guess what, you've got five of the Warrior Ten; the other five will definitely be in Wave 2), in their raisable lineups. The more well known Digimon are actually relegated to unlockable eggs on the Pendulum Zs (Wave 1's unlockable eggs feature Agumon, Agunimon, Gatomon, Armadillomon, and Wormmon; and yes, you can get Agumon -Bond of Courage- from the Agumon egg).

And speaking of Savers and the Pendulum Zs, my fingers are crossed so hard for the Chessmons to be on the Metal Empire Pendulum Z given that Gaomon's on the Nature Spirits Pendulum Z... those fellas absolutely need to be raisable on something.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

The english Digital Monster X has an official release date, July 15th. When they announced new colors I was hoping the white and blue one would get a good alt color. I don't like the blue and white one much but I prefer its roster. Unfortunately, I'm not too hot on the new colors either, so I'll probably just get the black and red one.

April 24, 2021, 11:42:53 AM #5 Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:48:20 AM by WarOmnimon
Quote from: Ryo-Okay on April 23, 2021, 05:38:37 PM
The english Digital Monster X has an official release date, July 15th. When they announced new colors I was hoping the white and blue one would get a good alt color. I don't like the blue and white one much but I prefer its roster. Unfortunately, I'm not too hot on the new colors either, so I'll probably just get the black and red one.

I see the alternate color for White as being a reference to Dracomon X (Green) and Crusadermon X (Pink), both of whom are raisable on White. As such, I'm guessing that the alternate color for Black will reference Renamon X (Freshly introduced Rookie on Black, just as Dracomon X is on White) and Minervamon X (Won a fan poll to be included on Black, just like Crusadermon X did for White).

As I may have noted before, I am definitely buying White. I have 5 out of the 6 Digital Monster X releases (All Japanese versions), and White's the only one I'm missing. On which note, out of all 6 rosters, I'd have to say that the Blue Digital Monster X3 probably has my favorite roster of the bunch. :)

Lot's of Digimon stuff going down. Odaiba Day is just around the corner, and if the leaks are real then the next anime is finally a break from the Adventure wank. It seems like 02 is going to get a movie though, so it looks like Toei is trying to make a lot of people happy here. Ghost Game is an interesting title and I'm interested to see what it turns out to be.

The triceratops digimon looks neat, and I think makes for a unique main digimon. The other two just seem out of place to me.

I also just learned about these fan-made digimon a week or so ago, and I think they are really neat. Hopefully, they show up in the new anime or a future game because I'd like to see more of them.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on July 30, 2021, 11:25:11 AM
Lot's of Digimon stuff going down. Odaiba Day is just around the corner, and if the leaks are real then the next anime is finally a break from the Adventure wank. It seems like 02 is going to get a movie though, so it looks like Toei is trying to make a lot of people happy here. Ghost Game is an interesting title and I'm interested to see what it turns out to be.

The triceratops digimon looks neat, and I think makes for a unique main digimon. The other two just seem out of place to me.

I also just learned about these fan-made digimon a week or so ago, and I think they are really neat. Hopefully, they show up in the new anime or a future game because I'd like to see more of them.

Gammamon (I've also seen Ganmamon used, but the romanization "Ganma" can be used for both "Gamma" and "Ganma") being a triceratops is a nice changeup from the usual dragon and tyrannosaurus based main Digimon. The only other time we got anything aside from a dragon or tyrannosaurus based main mon was Gatchmon in Appli Monsters, and I've so been waiting for this to finally happen. Wouldn't surprise me if we get a Styracomon as one of his Digivolutions (We already have a Triceramon).

And I agree on the fan-made Digimon being neat. The inspirations for Ganvivormon (Bottom row on the left) and Madomon (Bottom row on the right) are quite wholesome; long story short, Ganvivormon is a tribute to the designer's wife who was fighting cancer at the time, and Madomon is a tribute to the designer's childhood dog.

On the merchandise side of things, the main Digimon from Ghost Game are getting Dim Cards for the Vital Bracelet, and as teased this past week, it looks like we're getting Ultraman and Kamen Rider collab Dim Cards as well (Those are apparently going to be called VBM Cards, but that's likely because "Dim" Stands for "Digimon Identified Memory", and Digimon the Ultras and Riders aren't). As someone who follows Ultraman and Kamen Rider, I'm curious to see which seasons are going to get representation, and it's cool to see Digimon having collabs with more franchises in this manner and not just Medabots. The fact that Digimon is actually getting collabs with two long runners such as Ultraman and Kamen Rider is a pretty big deal, even compared to the previous collabs IMO. (Though aside from Medabots, the previous collabs with Sanrio and Hatsune Miku were exclusively merchandise based; the only other notable collab thus far aside from Medabots, Ultraman, and Kamen Rider was Lili and Sebastian from Tekken showing up in Digimon World Re:Digitize.)

Quote from: WarOmnimon on July 31, 2021, 09:26:25 PM
As someone who follows Ultraman and Kamen Rider, I'm curious to see which seasons are going to get representation, and it's cool to see Digimon having collabs with more franchises in this manner and not just Medabots. The fact that Digimon is actually getting collabs with two long runners such as Ultraman and Kamen Rider is a pretty big deal, even compared to the previous collabs IMO.
I'm not convinced it is just a collab. I think the VB is being spun off into it's own thing and Bandai is going to start giving a bunch of their franchises VBs.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on July 31, 2021, 11:00:08 PM
Quote from: WarOmnimon on July 31, 2021, 09:26:25 PM
As someone who follows Ultraman and Kamen Rider, I'm curious to see which seasons are going to get representation, and it's cool to see Digimon having collabs with more franchises in this manner and not just Medabots. The fact that Digimon is actually getting collabs with two long runners such as Ultraman and Kamen Rider is a pretty big deal, even compared to the previous collabs IMO.
I'm not convinced it is just a collab. I think the VB is being spun off into it's own thing and Bandai is going to start giving a bunch of their franchises VBs.
You were spot on, LOL. Worth noting that the VBM Cards (Which is what they are referring to the Ultraman and Kamen Rider Dim Cards as) are confirmed to be cross compatible (Albeit there will be visual differences, mostly with stats and so forth, when used on the Digimon Vital Bracelet or Digivice V; same with using the Dim Cards on the Vital Bracelet Characters), so I'll still be scooping them up.

And yup, Ghost Game is real! Can't wait to see what Gammamon, Jellymon, and Angoramon's evolutions are going to be. As much as I like Gammamon, I'm most curious about Angoramon's evolutions. :)

All the news about Ghost Game has me pretty excited honestly. The cast seems good, the staff seems good, and a Digimon show with a bit of a horror tinge could be good.

The PV doesn't reveal much, but it looked neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvwvx3Jvsg4

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on September 11, 2021, 08:54:57 PM
All the news about Ghost Game has me pretty excited honestly. The cast seems good, the staff seems good, and a Digimon show with a bit of a horror tinge could be good.

The PV doesn't reveal much, but it looked neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvwvx3Jvsg4
^ This! I am super excited for Ghost Game, and I can't wait to see Gammamon, Angoramon, and Jellymon's evolutions. Given the connections I've heard in relates to the names of the human protags, I'm excited about the prospect of space dinosaur-based Digimon for Gammamon. Still most curious to see Angoramon's evolutions, though.

And yes, I've preordered Gammamon's Dim Card already, LOL. :)

September 30, 2021, 04:59:42 PM #12 Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 12:35:12 AM by Ryo-Okay
Gammamon's evolutions leaked, and they look pretty good.

Just finished the first episode. It was a really great first episode.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on September 30, 2021, 04:59:42 PM
Gammamon's evolutions leaked, and they look pretty good.

Just finished the first episode. It was a really great first episode.
^ Both of these. Can't wait for the rest of the show... and the naming convention for Gammamon's evolutions is great. Astronomy was a big thing for me as a kid, so seeing Gammamon's evolutions named after stars (And in GrusGammamon's case an entire constellation) was awesome. :D

Digimon Con is happening in a few days, so I thought I would make some predictions.

First, Survive has to get a release date. If they are finally bringing it up again they have to have a release date set. No more delays, either cancel it or release it already. With that said I'm kind of expecting it to come out in June or July.

I also think they will probably tease the next Story game. Those are the big sellers for them and Survive's problems likely delayed the next Story game past it's originally intended release date. The tease could be as little as the title or maybe even a really short video showing off a couple of character designs and the starting digimon.

Now this is a pretty out there prediction, but maybe they'll announce a Ghost Game tie-in video game. Every Digimon tv anime had some kind of tie-in game except for Adventure:. Maybe Adventure: not getting one was a sign that they are done with tie-in games, but I think there is a slim chance for a video game set in the Ghost Game universe.

As for anime stuff I don't have many predictions. They'll talk a lot about Ghost Game, and maybe they'll have something to show from the new Adventure 02 movie. Since this is a global event they could mention an English dub of Adventure: since there have been rumors about that for a while.

My final prediction is there will be a new V-Pet announced. I think Bandai will want to focus mainly on the VB, but there is an audience for V-Pets that don't care about the VB. I don't think it will get multiple waves like the X's or Z's did, but it will be 1 wave with 2 or 3 different versions to keep V-Pet fans occupied.

Also I didn't play it much but RIP ReArise.