Saying goodbye to Tenchiforum

Started by takahata, January 03, 2017, 10:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
For the Last few years, I have visiting the fan site Tenchiforum.  Tenchiforum is one of the three Tenchi Muyo fan sites.  When I was checking the site on Monday January 2, I have learn that Tenchiforum is shutting down. While  Tenchiforum  is likely becoming an archive, Useless Tenchi is the only active site as I am aware of. 

I have been a Tenchi Muyo fan since it first came on Cartoon Network's original Toonami.  Tenchiforum was not the first fan site which I have found. The former Ayeka's Bliss was the first site which I have.

There is a probability that the former members of Tenchiforum will be checking out Useless Tenchi.  If any of the members of Tenchiforum decide to join Useless, let's welcome them.

:crash: :damnit: :huhm:

QuoteTenchiforum  is likely becoming an archive
Oh, I doubt that.

QuoteI have been a Tenchi Muyo fan since it first came on Cartoon Network's original Toonami.  Tenchiforum was not the first fan site which I have found.
Same.

QuoteIf any of the members of Tenchiforum decide to join Useless, let's welcome them.
Of course, the more, the merrier.

:duke:
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

There is only a few people that I would deny sign up but most are welcome.

Quote from: Harls on January 04, 2017, 02:54:33 AM
QuoteIf any of the members of Tenchiforum decide to join Useless, let's welcome them.
Of course, the more, the merrier.

:duke:

I agree! I love talking with other Tenchi fans so the more the merrier! Because of its age and niche genre we really should try to stick together. I'm not saying we have to agree on everything but we should do our best to support eachother and foster a positive communtiy.

Quote from: tenchifan1992 on January 04, 2017, 01:47:21 PM
He'll everybody my name s tenchifan1992  and I used to be no tenchi forum. I can't believe there shutting down because of  ova4! .so I went here

greetings

QuoteGET ME OUT OF THIS NUTOUSE NOW!.

Well, OK then. Thankfully the door works both ways.
Sorry it's not to your liking.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Harls on January 05, 2017, 03:58:06 AM

that was a quick 180

January 05, 2017, 03:36:35 PM #7 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:52:18 PM by جبريل 無道
Less than four days after I first publicly commented:
http://www.uselesstenchi.org/Forum/index.php?topic=1030.msg44679#msg44679
QuoteThis fundamental schism ran deep down the western fandom and spread to many boards, it caused a lot of topics to transition into tired arguments upon arguments upon arguments upon arguments ad nauseum.  Until around 2010 iirc, by then the fandom basically got whittled down to one single forum where the bickering continued unabated, and a divorce between these two groups was finally initiated and both went their own way.

And it was the single best thing to happen to all concerned.  That's basically how UselessTenchi and the other forum came about.  A tiresome decade of nonstop bickering ended, everyone needed a break and got to focus on what was important to them and finally be fannish what they want to be fannish about without constantly being defensive or presenting it with apology.  Everyone benefited from the arrangement.  And now you all see the friction when the two try to come together again... don't force fan family reunions.

The other place up and closes on me--.--  A disaster.

Almost anyone is welcome here.  So are other viewpoints.  Just realize we're a different flavor of the fandom from the other place, we're not the PG-13 Toonami crowd nor a safespace.  At the same time, we don't want the board to go the same route the pre-2010 Tenchi fandom went along.  So, argument is welcome, however endless bickering and whining will not be.

What will the difference be?  Well, if you open your own topic to say "I don't like X."  Fine and good.  Anybody stepping in that knows what they're getting into.  However, if you start the same argumentative topic twice because the first dies on you or if you go into another pre-existing topic about, say, about Sega Saturn Game Tenchi's Carrot Quest just to bring up how the new character Onika raped your childhood, and then basically post the same point several times in a row, that's bickering/whining.  Being different and communicating that is okay, making yourself the loudest and most persistent to bludgeon others with your viewpoint is not.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

January 05, 2017, 05:33:34 PM #8 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:46:01 PM by Andraste
Quote from: Dr.Soviet on January 05, 2017, 07:22:29 AM
Quote from: Harls on January 05, 2017, 03:58:06 AM
that was a quick 180

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on January 05, 2017, 03:36:35 PM
Almost anyone is welcome here.  So are other viewpoints.  Just realize we're a different flavor of the fandom from the other place, we're not the PG-13 Toonami crowd or a safespace, and don't want the board to go the way pre-2010 Tenchi fandom went.  Argument is welcome, however endless bickering and whining will not be.

I think that is pretty eloquently stated about this not being the typical board. Maybe that can be added to the front page or the entrance page when/if the image gets altered. I wasn't around during OVA 3, and I guess I am glad I wasn't. I think at this point Useless will have to deal with these issues seeing as it is the only forum left and new episodes are coming out that people will want to discuss.

Can anybody from there tell me why they never really pursued translating the rest of the Hasegawa novels?  Aside from MnE/DoD, which was covered by the movie, there were 11 more novels.

I'm not into Hasegawa's vision, but they seemed excited over it... and it seems odd that they wouldn't fully pursue a basically brand-new (to the west) continuity with all new stories and an ending they'll surely like as well as an author they fully support.

Honestly I was glad they were trying to translate Non-Kajishima content as I wasn't gonna focus on that stuff till after the Kajishima stuff was done first.

At the same time, we don't want the board to go the same route the pre-2010 Tenchi fandom went along.  So, argument is welcome, however endless bickering and whining will not be.

Ha!ha! Yes, the endless bickering, fighting, etc. I'm so glad I gave up being a moderator at FUNimation's forum and at Ayeka Fan Club. I hated all of the drama, which is why I pretty much stayed away from Tenchi forums for a long while, except when old contacts would ping me about stuff.

Anyway, I only learned that Tenchiforum was gone today. I think I last popped in there last week just to see what they thought of OVA 4. I didn't hang around too long. I'm sad to see them go though.

As to Hasegawa-sensei's novels, I don't know what happened there. I was interested in checking those out just for the fun of it. It may have been a case of a lot of enthusiasm, but no support. For years, I tried to get the doujinshi and such translated. I can't tell you how many folks would write me saying, "Hey, I know Japanese. Send me some stuff and I'll translate for you." I'd send them a test page of something I already had properly translated and verified by a pro. Only very rarely would anyone translate the test page and of those who did, none responded to stuff I sent them.

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on January 07, 2017, 01:23:25 AM
  At the same time, we don't want the board to go the same route the pre-2010 Tenchi fandom went along.  So, argument is welcome, however endless bickering and whining will not be.

Ha!ha! Yes, the endless bickering, fighting, etc. I'm so glad I gave up being a moderator at FUNimation's forum and at Ayeka Fan Club. I hated all of the drama, which is why I pretty much stayed away from Tenchi forums for a long while, except when old contacts would ping me about stuff.

Anyway, I only learned that Tenchiforum was gone today. I think I last popped in there last week just to see what they thought of OVA 4. I didn't hang around too long. I'm sad to see them go though.

As to Hasegawa-sensei's novels, I don't know what happened there. I was interested in checking those out just for the fun of it. It may have been a case of a lot of enthusiasm, but no support. For years, I tried to get the doujinshi and such translated. I can't tell you how many folks would write me saying, "Hey, I know Japanese. Send me some stuff and I'll translate for you." I'd send them a test page of something I already had properly translated and verified by a pro. Only very rarely would anyone translate the test page and of those who did, none responded to stuff I sent them.

read through the google translates i posted of hasegawa... within a few moments of reading them your eyes will rollback in your head so hard that you will see why they didn't get translated
heres my summary of the hasegawa cannon:

1. The aborted version of ova 2
2-3 Hasegawa writes down what happens in ova 1 because maybe your a teenager and your mom won't buy you a series of 6+ individualy sold ultra expensive video tapes about space waifus.
Everything up to mansetsu no eve: Tenchi has a tea party ryoko tries to feed tenchi crumpets. ayeka objects because those are her crumpets and she wanted to give them to tenchi first. also sasami gets kiddinaped by a she pedofile and mihoshi and kiyone play dungens and waifus and kagato's son comes down to earth to talk about his feelings while he has tea and crumpets with tenchi

mansetsu no eve: Tenchi becomes a wife beater and gets a baby thanks to the worst revenge plot by one of the most oddest anime villains in history. at the end he chooses to unabort the magicly aborted the baby for some reason. even though he is like what 15... ok... i guess... maury maury maury.

the last one: Tenchi has a tea party ryoko tries to feed tenchi crumpets. ayeka objects because those are her crumpets and she wanted to give them to tenchi first. then tenchi gets some ptsd flashbacks of sakura blossoms decides they have to like kill the juraian emperor or  some shit and tenchi chooses ryoko to be his baby momma and katsuhito spent the rest of eterity sealed in a cherry tree! the end!

......................................................... chris-chan could write a better continuity.

for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Yeah, I never had much enthusiasm for Hasegawa's work based on the book pictures alone, like the she-pedophile stalking Sasami.  I think it was S. Naoe, one japanese guy that gave the west a ton of information via mailing list nearly 20 years ago, that opined that Hasegawa "moved the characters in odd ways".  Her MnE Tenchi movie had multiple occasions of incest more overt than MK's Tenchi canon, which is why the complaints about MK's fetishes felt odd, especially when the complainers often clung tenaciously to Hasegawa as an example of how Tenchi Muyo should be. 

I don't have much else to gauge her stories however.

Kagato's son did intrigue me, although the very concept seemed out-of-character.  Anime Kagato didn't seem to be the fatherly type, even if he had kids.  It's a neat pic though.  Probably intriguing because Kagato is a great villain but was used only once.

QuoteNo.6816 Hasegawa novels
Name: S.Naoe
Date: 2001 07/17 23:43
I have read most of Ms.Hasegawa's Tenchi novels.
But I don't think you need to care about the stuffs of them,
especially if you are a fan of OVA cannon. I regard her novels as a kind of commercial fan fics.
As one of the creators of 1st OVA, Ms.H may know something about Mr.K's concepts but apparently she understand little about them.
As for the story of Tenchi's mother's death, Ms.H wrote only the stuff of 'she was finally killed when Tenchi as a child generated LHW's and could not control them.' in one of her novels. As far as I know, she didn't write other stuffs of 'Achika showed a great potential when she was a girl.....'
I doubt Funaho(tree) would kill or wound Yosho's daughter even though she failed in the contract ritual.

S. Naoe had more information on Hasegawa and her role in Tenchi Muyo! here.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on January 05, 2017, 05:59:35 PM
Can anybody from there tell me why they never really pursued translating the rest of the Hasegawa novels?  Aside from MnE/DoD, which was covered by the movie, there were 11 more novels.

I'm not into Hasegawa's vision, but they seemed excited over it... and it seems odd that they wouldn't fully pursue a basically brand-new (to the west) continuity with all new stories and an ending they'll surely like as well as an author they fully support.

What a shame; read the first book once it was translated and had all that hype around it.

Wasn't a bad read, quite enjoyed it. Too bad they stopped there and then.