Whatcha been reading? Manga and light novel thread.

Started by Ryo-Okay, December 05, 2017, 05:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I figured since there is a general anime thread I thought I would make one for manga and light novels.

I've been catching up on the Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. This series continues to be incredibly cute.

I also read the Ore to Kawazu-san no Isekai Hourouki manga. It was fun, but I'm not sure if I'll actively keep up with it. I might wait for it to finish and then read through it all.

As for light novels I've been reading I Saved Too Many Girls and Caused the Apocalypse. There are already 14 girls in the harem and I've only read the first 5 volumes. If it keeps up like this the harem is going to be huge.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on December 05, 2017, 05:36:08 PM

As for light novels I've been reading I Saved Too Many Girls and Caused the Apocalypse.

I demand full video reviews of this immediately!

I've been struggling to find things to read lately. I have plenty of things I want to read, but I've just been struggling to get into them.

I saw Sensei Lock On was picked up so I reread that and read the new chapters. It's a cute manga, but really short.

I read Hitorimi Haduki-san to. because it was in Sensei Lock On's recommendations. I really didn't like this one much.

The last manga I tried reading was Cheeky Angel. Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! is my favorite manga and Cheeky Angel is by the same mangaka. I enjoyed it well enough, but I'm just not feeling very motivated to read it.

I've tried to pick up a bunch of other series, but I get a few pages in then just stop.

New series I've been trying to read haven't really been doing it for me, so I decided to reread Invaders of the Rokujouma!? I've bought all of the ebooks J-Novel Club has released, but I hadn't read any of them yet. I'm close to finishing volume 1, and as I'm reading I'm getting more excited to get to the stuff in later volumes.

Here's what I've been reading lately.

Saguri-chan Tankentai - A fun manga about a girl who was sick when she was young going out on adventures with her childhood friend. I really liked the one-shot, and so far the serialization has been good. I'm just not sure how long it can last with its premise.

Megami-ryou no Ryoubo-kun. - A kid's house burns down and his father abandons him. He gets picked up by a pretty college girl and becomes the house mother of their dorm. Only one chapter of this is translated, but it seems like your standard ecchi harem manga. The only thing that really sets it apart is the MC is a shota.

Isekai desu ga Mamono Saibai shiteimasu. - A manga adaptation of an isekai light novel about a kid who can grow monsters. It was okay, but I probably won't read anymore.

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka -  Another manga adaptation of an isekai light novel about a guy who becomes a farmer. God gives him plenty of cheat abilities, so he can be the best farmer. This one was also okay, but again I probably won't read anymore.

In Bura! - An ecchi harem about a kid whose blood is very delicious to vampires. This was a decent manga, but it got axed at 2 volumes. It was a quick read without any real conclusion.

Go-toubun no Hanayome - A poor kid gets hired to tutor rich quintuplet sisters. I had read the one shot for this a while ago and thought it was alright, but it has really improved as a serialization. I already like all the girls which sucks because there is no chance for a harem ending.

Invaders of the Rokujouma!? - This is the only light novel I've been reading. I've been slowly but surely rereading the ebooks by J-Novel Club. Rereading some of the early parts really makes me appreciate where the series has ended up.

A Certain Magical Index: Loving the series and now I'm in the coming stages of War.

Goblin Slayer: AA LN that arises murder boners. Its good.
Say my name.

Baker.

You're dang right.

I would like to read it as well, do not know enough to have a short story to read it?

Quote from: Gilbertnut on March 29, 2018, 01:12:01 AM
I would like to read it as well, do not know enough to have a short story to read it?

Read what? Index and GS are available in the states to buy.
Say my name.

Baker.

You're dang right.

Asa Made Jugyou Chu! - The last few chapters for this were finally translated, but I couldn't remember a damn thing about it. I plan to reread the whole thing eventually.

Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. - Still cute.   

Welcome to the El-Palacio - A harem manga where all the girls are professional wrestlers. I only read about half of it, and haven't really had the urge to read anymore.

Yonakano Reiji ni Haremu Wo!! - Guy meets a ghost that only people from his bloodline can see. The ghost decides to turn him into a modern day Genghis Khan by building him a harem. That way he has lots of kids who will be able to see her. Only one chapter of this is translated so far but it was fun. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this manga.

Ninkoi - An ecchi harem with a bunch of ninja girls. It's by the same mangaka that did In Bura! It was okay.

Yankee wa Isekai de Seirei ni Aisaremasu. - Delinquent gets isekai'd. It was meh. I probably won'anymoreny more.

Claymore - This isn't really the kind of manga I typically read, I prefer silly shit, but I like the mangaka so I picked it up. It's a bit of a downer, but I've enjoyed it.

To Love-ru - This was one of the first anime I watched when I was getting into it, so it has a special place in my heart. It's also one of the few series where I'm actually buying the English releases.

Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu - Romance manga between a tomboy boxer and a kid from her club. It was good, but I hate that every manga feels the need to make couples meet when they are kids. This manga didn't need that and I honestly think it's worse because of it.

Monster Girl Doctor - The only light novel I've read. I picked it up on a whim, but I had a lot of fun with it. It was obviously written so it could be finite if it didn't get serialized, so how the characters all end up at the final battle is a bit forced. I'm hoping that the next few volumes will be better now that it has been serialized.

Yuusha ga Shinda - About a month ago this started getting updated again so I went through and reread it. Translations have been pretty regular since then and I've fallen a few chapters behind.

Renai Boukun - I also reread this series and then like a week or two later it was announced it was ending. This is one of my favorite ongoing manga so I'm really going to miss it. Let's just hope Mihoshi goes through with the harem ending they've been setting up.

Naze da Naito - This was a cute little romcom. It was only around 10 chapters, but there is a second season coming out.

Gash Bell - I only read about 30 chapters of this. I thought it was alright, but I'm not sure if I'm going to continue reading it.

Yankee Shota to Otaku Oneesan - This manga also started getting translated again, so I went and reread the few chapters that were translated. It's also the first /ss/ manga I've read where the woman is the author's self insert.

I haven't really been reading all that much lately, and what I have read are just a chapter or two that have been translated from series I follow.

True Tenchi Muyo! Jurai - Really enjoyed this first volume. I really enjoyed Azusa in OVA 4 and this volume has made him one of my favorite characters in the series.

Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory - After 6 months of nothing a new chapter was finally translated. I don't have much to say about this because so far it is your standard haremshit, but with a shota MC.

Yonakano Reiji ni Haremu Wo!! - I like the premise of this one where a ghost is trying to build a harem for the MC, but I doubt that the author will actually stick with it in the end. I expect ghost girl will win and everyone will get a bad end. Only 4 chapters are translated so far, so hopefully the author surprises me and actually goes for a harem end.

Yankee Shota to Otaku Oneesan - A new chapter of this was finally released after a month or two without one. It's still silly and cute.

Renai Boukun - The translations for this have started to pick up recently, and I'm hoping they can keep up the 1 chapter a month pace because this series is ending in the next couple chapters. I've also been looking at the raw chapters as they've been releasing for this series too. There are probably only a chapter or two left of this series, and I've reached that nervous state right before a series you like ends. I hope it gets a good ending, but out of all the series I've read I can count the number of satisfying endings on one hand.

I read Yokoshima na Eguchi-kun and Eguchi-kun wa Minogasanai. It's about a 5th grader who is good a spotting slightly erotic situations, which basically was panty shots and bras through wet shirts. It was alright.

Still thinking about which manga I'll read next.  I did read a couple of them recently, specifically Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01 and the Perfect Large Numbers Arc of Kinnikuman.  I'll use the dub terms for talking Digimon of course.

Many people already say this, but V-Tamer should be required reading for any Digimon fan.  It's got a good story, fun characters (V-Tamer Tai is so much better than Adventure Tai), and even features the only 3 legit Ultra level Digimon in the franchise (UlforceVeedramon Future Mode, Arcadiamon Ultra, and Daemon Ultra; most will recognize Arcadiamon Ultra from Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory, where he appears as both a boss and as a raisable Digimon).  For those who enjoyed the anime (I do save for the fact that Toei is overmilking Adventure; why won't they give us what we actually want such as a Tamers sequel or even a Data Squad sequel?), V-Tamer Tai also gets to team up with Adventure Tai, Davis, Takato, and Takuya in crossover chapters, each one with their own unique villain.  There's also a lot of cool Digimon we don't get to see much of (Dominimon, Regulumon, and Callismon especially) here.

As for Kinnikuman's Perfect Large Numbers Arc.  This is how you handle lore expansion.  All sorts of nods to the frachise's past events, further explanation to several things (Such as the origins of the Muscle Spark technique; it's actually derived from a more brutal version known as the Arrogant Spark), and so forth.  I definitely look forward to seeing Nemesis's full redemption in the future, because the way this arc ended indicates that yeah, he's definitely one of the good guys now.  He was a good villain of the "I wouldn't mind rooting for this guy" variety, too; you couldn't really argue with his reasons for doing what he did in hindsight, and I couldn't get myself to hate him.  Some of his subordinates, of course, different story.

I'd go and read ToHeart 2: Colorful Note next, but the problem is that the whole thing hasn't been translated.  Only the first 10 chapters have been translated.  Shame, especially after I heard that that Serika, Ayaka, Serio, and Sebastian from the original ToHeart actually show up in Chapter 12 (Love when they make lore connections like that in ANY franchise).
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

I read somewhere on Reddit's r/manga about a better alternative to Highschool DxD. Just finished reading the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_×_Heart_Magias_Academy_Ataraxia all 4 volumes of it and cringed my way through all the "erotic massage" scenes. Enough is enough.  :frogonk: Apart from that, RightStuf had deals on Platinum End which is by the folks who made the Death Note manga. Eight volumes, blazed through those they were great. Action scenes with costumes reminiscent of Code Geass and some choice delivery of dialogue.   

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."