Why do people hate the 3rd OVA?

Started by Empress of Jurai, November 07, 2012, 09:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: For Washuu on January 13, 2013, 03:30:49 AM
Ooohhh.... that's a good anime to pull a screenshot from.  Props to you.

...and I don't get it.

First: Oh Snap, you watched Demon King Daimao too? That's my SH%T!!

Second: Mihoshi says Amane mentioned a GXP booklet which was on OVA 3 episode 5. Amane actually comes to Tenchi's house in GXP episode 1. So basically what Shades is inferring is that GXP starts around episode 5 of OVA 3.

The bottom also lets you know the time span from OVA 1 episode 1 to GXP episode 17 has been 2 years. So in essence, the entire OVA time frame not including ISM has roughly been 2 years.

Ah.  Right!

And as for Daimao... I'd say it's my third favorite anime, tying with Nadesico and following Dual and the Tenchi-verse.
Then again, if I count all of the Tenchi-verse/Kaji-verse, Daimao would be tie for second..

Aw, what the crap.  BRO-FIST!
Truth be told, the anime I am writing is HEAVILY influenced by both I SM and IUnD.

Edit:   that sig...
:staredog:

Someone just sent this confession into my tenchiconfessions tumblr blog in response to a confession about not understanding people's problems with Noike:

For that last confession about Noike, I can tell you what the problem with Noike is. She was a LOT more invasive than Kiyone. When Kiyone joined the cast, she melded into the group easily.  Some episodes featured her, but she was part of the cast, just like everyone else.

Noike got introduced and immediately took front and center. She was introduced as Tenchi's fiancee, which was a lie, but it was still irritating.  The show pretty much became the Noike show after she was introduced. To the point where the other girls literally couldn't function and run the household without Noike's intervention anymore. WTF?

And maybe this entire thing would have easier to swallow (not much, but a bit) if we hadn't been waiting 10 years to see OVA 3, only to have it focus on..not the characters we already loved...but a bunch of new people, including Noike. It was annoying.

And on a shallow note, Noike is hideous compared to Kiyone.

Quote from: LightHawkWing on January 15, 2013, 06:51:55 PM
To the point where the other girls literally couldn't function and run the household without Noike's intervention anymore. WTF?
They weren't functioning around the household in the first place.  :smug:
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

MAN FUCK that dumb---nah just playing. On a serious note....

It gets messy because like the poster said, that 10 year wait really does put pressure on adjusting to the new. You've had 10 years of cosplay, fanart, fanclubs, fansites, threads and other stuff about Kiyone, so it makes logical sense that fans of hers get rubbed the wrong way when not only she is replaced, but by someone who does share some qualities with Kiyone. Hell I know I'd be mad as fuck if Gogeta from dragonball Z (who is officially not canon) was replaced by a canon fusion made by Akira himself.

First to correct the poster, the engagement is no doubt real. Noike was put under the pretense of it just being a ruse, but its still very real on paper. That and the fact that Seto is called the matchmaker for a reason, she knows what she's doing. As far as Kiyone melding with the group, I consider it just personal preference. Personally for me, Kiyone was a nobody, a space filler. She barely interacted with Tenchi and the only time she was significant was if it had to do with Mihoshi. I feel that not only wasted someone Kiyone could have been, but also brought down Mihoshi's character. The charm about Mihoshi has always been that even while always messing shit up, she ALWAYS found a way. You lose that with Kiyone because Mihoshi becomes a dependent who is considered useless on her own.

As far as aesthetic appeal, many of the folks here will tell you I absolutely love Noike with her long hair. Easily one of the most beautiful characters on the show for me. The buzz has taken time to get use to, but she's still a cute girl. With Kiyone, iunno, just ain't really feeling the headband and 80s workout gym look.

As far as the girls not being able to run a house without Noike, they've NEVER ran that house before her efficiently. Hell, Tenchi fell out from the flu and every single girl was down his throat instead of giving him rest, to the point of Washu having to raise her voice, something she usually NEVER does. She also earned Ryoko's respect, cause lets be honest, Ryoko was just planning on punking her ass to the point of her screaming out the house and wanting to never return, it just didn't work though. (Ryoko fans probably going "Damn that would have been awesome") I've also said a bunch of times that I just prefer the overall order she brought to the house. Otherwise it would have just been To Love Ru: Tenchi edition, and yea, I can't stand TLR cause Rito is a bitch, man the fuck up.

So basically....it is what it is. You either just accept what you got or just keep complaining. But we should all know Kaji is gonna do whatever the fuck he wants, cause he's a boss. I just never felt it was a big deal, then again, I got other stuff to complain about, like Lebron James....Now I have no problem admitting I'm a hater for his bitch ass....

Tenchi Ryu, I'm gonna post that, if ya don't mind.

On another note, I just re-watched the entire OVA yesterday and I just like OVA 3 more and more each time I watch it.

Yea, it gets a lot of unfair bias. One of the issues IMO is that a good number of Tenchi fans aren't necessarily anime fans, or at least watch anime (especially current anime after 2007) in usual doses. Therefore they don't really have anything to judge it on besides Tenchi stuff, and that automatically is unfair since by now, someone tends to bend in favor towards a certain style of Tenchi any, either OVA, Universe or even Tokyo.

But OVA 3 is still a quality Kajishima production and curb stomps a lot of general anime, especially harem titles. One thing I love is that while Tenchi did have a school setting, Kaji quickly took that out of the equation and used more original setups. He also didn't use the cliche "character templates" where compared to most harems nowadays, you know you tend to have certain types of girls: The Tsundere, Genki girl, pink haired ditz, etc.

After awhile, you just realize that you just can't please everyone, and just gotta move on. People are gonna like what they like and hate what they hate, so in the end its just best to group up with people who share the same interest. Though I have to admit its nice to be around folks I can discuss something OVA 3 related and not have to get the shitstorm umbrella.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on January 15, 2013, 11:37:44 PM
But OVA 3 is still a quality Kajishima production and curb stomps a lot of general anime, especially harem titles. One thing I love is that while Tenchi did have a school setting, Kaji quickly took that out of the equation and used more original setups. He also didn't use the cliche "character templates" where compared to most harems nowadays, you know you tend to have certain types of girls: The Tsundere, Genki girl, pink haired ditz, etc.
Hai, Haaaaii! ^_^
One of my top five reasons to watch Tenchi is the characters' individuality.  For every era of anime, there seems to be the overly stereotypical characters, not only in personality but even in appearance!
For example, if you take Osaka from Azumanga Daioh and remove her over-sized eyes, you have a pallet for dozens of anime characters.  If you have the outline of Sai Akuto from Ichiban Ushiro no Daimo, you also have the outline for a couple other anime protagonists.
But...  Ryoko.  Who in the world am I supposed to confuse her with, visually?  InuYasha??
Ayeka, I have never seen the likes of; Mihoshi was one of the first examples of the Dark-Skinned Blond trope.  Sasami is cited as one of the most recognizable anime characters ever (possibly only less so than Usagi/Sailor Moon).  And then Noike cuts her hair! XD

And OVA 3 was literally the first anime I ever saw.  I mean... Elliot's very first moment of anime...
there's Ryoko taking the 17-year-old's anime virginity... just like that...

Good Lord, I lost it.  Sorry.  Praise-rant over.

January 27, 2013, 08:03:37 PM #41 Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:19:07 PM by Tenchi Ryu
Quote from: LightHawkWing on January 15, 2013, 10:40:01 PM
On another note, I just re-watched the entire OVA yesterday and I just like OVA 3 more and more each time I watch it.
Yea, I'm going through another marathon run and on OVA 3 now. One thing I find interesting again is in the first episode during Nobuyuki and Yosho's chat at the grave site.

I knew they wanted to wait until the right time, but its shown that Nobuyuki didn't really want to do it. You can understand where he comes from cause he probably knows Tenchi sees his mother as something she isn't and that will upset him. He really is a caring father. Yosho then comments he believes Kiyone is finally happy that Nobuyuki agrees to go through with it. Just some nice emotional background that doesn't get much light in the Tenchi discussions.

I also like how Nobuyuki makes personal comments about the "pecking order" in Tenchi's harem, with Washu being at the top, yet how her foil is Mihoshi making it a balanced circle. For someone who is known as just a goofy perv, he's a VERY observant and attentative person. Then again, he WAS a GXP officer for a reason...

January 27, 2013, 11:59:33 PM #42 Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:22:33 AM by Tenchi Ryu
Found some information that I think might be useful....

One of the main criticisms about Noike is that many feel she is a ripoff of the Kiyone GXP partner role. But listening to Mihoshi, in episode 15, she mentions that Noike was her partner when she was a 2nd Class Detective. Fast forward to around episode 18 where its mentioned that Misao had a choice between Mashisu and Noike to be his right hand man, both of whom were honorable detectives apparently working together as well.....There is also the fact that when Mashisu shows on the scene, Mihoshi shares the same reaction to her as she did Noike. The final clue is this picture we've all seen by now...

Judging by the similar uniforms, I'm guess they are all the same rank. But Mihoshi mentions that she worked with Noike as a 2nd class detective, meaning all must be 2nd class detectives here. So what's my final hypothesis?

Mihoshi and Noike were NOT partners in the similar sense Mihoshi and Kiyone were. Mihoshi, Noike and Mashisu were a three-man team. From what we've seen, 3 man teams seem common in the GP. When Seina was in the GP academy, he was paired up Kenneth and Rajau in the dormitories. Then there is also Alan, Berry and Cohen who were a secretary like group for ships and joined Seina's ship. There is also Mashisu's 3 man crew who she dispatched against Tenchi's girls' in episodes 17 and 18 who I would guess are previous GP officers along with Mashisu since they seem to go way back with her.

Also 90% sure Tennyo was wearing a disguise when she appeared on OVA 3. She initially planned on playing a prank on Tenchi, but she didn't realize he would take it as hard as he did. She didn't get the memo that Tenchi didn't know Kiyone was a extreme prankster. She mentions she's going to see her friends, so she stays in her white hair disguise. When we see her again, she's coming back from Hawaii with Airi, a trip she took with her old friends. So it makes sense why she was wearing the same white hair disguise.

Good observation Tenchi Ryu. Also, what were Mihoshi, Noike, and Mashisu doing with Tennyo and Kiyone anyway? And why does Mihoshi look so hostile?

Quote from: LightHawkWing on January 29, 2013, 12:34:57 AM
Good observation Tenchi Ryu. Also, what were Mihoshi, Noike, and Mashisu doing with Tennyo and Kiyone anyway? And why does Mihoshi look so hostile?
As for Kiyone and Tennyo thing, I'd just guess it being an art thing, and not them actually being together.

As for Mihoshi being hostile, I'd make a theory on her being a knuckle head and rushing things TBH. One of Noike's main issues with Mihoshi is that she has to always watch her for doing something. We've also been told that she had tendencies like her mom and just do things at random. So I'd bet Mihoshi was the type you had to put a leash on, basically like always having to tell her to calm down, or Don't do that. Even looking at the Mashisu face in the back, she's looking like "What is this girl doing now?" with that expression.

Perfect example? Look at her grandfather and brother...They are the EXACT same way.