GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Please don't get our hopes up about Sasami. I think Goodbye 20th Century is as much of her as we'll ever see. And Pretty Sammy.

全巻購入特典:『天地無用!GXPパラダイス始動編』原案プロット小説
※こちら同一店舗で全6巻を予約購入された方のお渡し(第6巻商品とあわせてお渡し)を予定しております。
※商品仕様、特典内容、デサインは予告なく変更となる場合がございます。
※特典情報、詳細に関しましては、対象、舗までお問い合わせください。

Purchase privilege for all volumes: Original plot novel of "Tenchi Muyo!"
The special offer will be given to customers who pre-order all six volumes at the same store (and will be given together with the Volume 6 product).
Product specifications, privilege contents, and designations are subject to change without notice.
Please contact the store for more information about the special offers and details.

Looks like there's another drama CD, and an "8P" (eight page?) booklet, also.

On another note, I looked through that yt channel's videos. At the very bottom there is an ad for Fist of the North Star Blu-ray boxed set. It looked amazing. Chills.

June 24, 2023, 09:55:42 PM #91 Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 10:06:16 PM by DarkReves
Episode 3 is going to be interesting, it looks like it's going to feature Masaki Jurai and Zinv who showed up in the 14th novel illustration.

June 27, 2023, 08:57:37 PM #92 Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 11:06:35 PM by Nonsuch Ned
Can anyone make sense of the title of episode 3, as written on the show page,
「類は友呼び 朱に交わる」/ Rui wa tomo yobi shu ni majiwaru

The machine translation comes out as...

"A kind is called a friend, crosses with vermilion"
or
Kinds are called friends and meet vermilion [without quotation marks]
or
The kind meets the friend call vermilion [Yandex]

way past my "I recognize some phrases from anime" fluency in Japanese... can anyone make sense of it?

I guess it's like [Friends] meet [Vermilion?] but it's still so wrong
...in my pants

TENCHI EPISODE UP EARLY
\
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Not really early, it should always show up "a day early" because it's already the 30th there and they seem to release it to Chrunchyroll at midnight.

New choice for the auto-translation. Found when Google translate finally worked on the page itself (which it wouldn't before)
"Kindness Calls Friends and Crosses with Vermilion"

That is at least grammatical, but still seems off.

Like, I bet "Vermilion" / 朱 is just meant to be "Shu" of Zhu" or combined with one or two of the surrounding characters to make a different name and destroy the meaning of the sentence.
...in my pants

WE HAVE ANOTHER CALENDAR SHOT and this is a harvest episode, so this is in MAY! and the date is given on the cal lender this time

the year is given but damn near impossible to read in 1080p... looks like 20065 or 2006 to me...  its definititly 200 something. :D big theory confirmed

ok so i did some further inferance. it has to be a year where may starts on a 1st on Sunday very rare.  2005 is one of those years. I knew they were giving us the dates subtly .
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Eff Efferson on June 29, 2023, 04:41:57 PM
WE HAVE ANOTHER CALENDAR SHOT

I haven't watched it yet, but...
2005 fucks up all sorts of things...
2005 would blow the assumed timeline up by about 5 years. I had Seina's return to be around 2000.
... But why do you say "May?" Although some things harvest multiple times, they're in our latitude- May is late planting season. Harvest is throughout summer and into fall.
and uh... the last calendar shot was supposed to be September 1994, the wedding. After which, the newlyweds apparently quickly got busy and Kenshi was born... Kenshi is not 9-10 years old in this episode

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Months_starting_on_Sunday
...in my pants

June 29, 2023, 07:03:07 PM #97 Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 12:06:42 AM by Eff Efferson
hmm well it could be 2005 or 1996 or 2011... now that you mention it i forgot all about the time line

edit i was wring 1994
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

my bad this is 1996. for sure. 1996 and 2005 are the only years it could be and according to my timeline its 1996 when himc fights zinv at the end of gxp 14 we can presume thats the last battle before going home. its just so hard to read the year.
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

June 29, 2023, 07:47:43 PM #99 Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:01:47 PM by Nonsuch Ned
I've seen the picture now (but not the episode-I was having tech problems), I'd say you were right the first time (1994 and 2005 are the only possibilities for that calandar page) and the meaning this time is simply an admission that they've given up and are using a sliding timeline now. For everything to happen and for people to be the right ages as shown- if this were using the old timeline, this would have to take place a few years after OVA4- not just a couple.

...just thought of another calendar possibility that says they have REALLY moved up the timeline... another year with a May starting on a Sunday is 2016! ...that kinda looks like "2016"
...in my pants

June 30, 2023, 09:50:01 AM #100 Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 10:05:34 AM by Dreamr
I'm going to do a somewhat live line-of-thought while watching.

First impression: nice intro. We get the Renza girls, Masaki, Acha, and Shou. Crunchyroll used the feminine pronoun for Zinv. Someone on CR posted that at the end of GXP 14 there was a tease about Zinv having a teenaged female form. I don't remember that.

If we're seeing Shou at this point, we may be getting some actual Paradise Wars content, as he isn't involved until novel 1. But I suspect that won't be until later in this series.

Calendar shots are easy to get the year on. Just find a year where the days of the week all line up. 1994 and 2005 both match.  I think 2005 is reasonable, if a bit late. But 1994 is just too early. OAV1 episodes 5/6 are in 1993. I'd like to think they paid attention to detail and used the calendar from the proper year in the timeline as an Easter egg for the fans. Ofc, someone may have just made it all up to look nice. But why bother even having a calendar there if not to give us a more precise timeline? I'll have to go back and check the calendar from OAV 4(?), just to compare.

lol, the calendar Aeka looks at in OAV 4 ep 1 is also from 1994/2005, as well as 2011. Same for the above. So I think they're just using whatever.

And I cannot hold this back: "Curry. Saiko!" I rewatched Dual last week. So I was kind of excited as soon as they started talking about dinner. D actually points to the cabbit girls and matches each to their previous incarnations. Mitsuki Sanada is obvious. Kirche = Mitsuki Rara, and Fuku is Yayoi Schwael.

Apparently the girls can talk while in cabbit form, now. That's new. Reminds me of Ryo-ohki from Pretty Sammi.

Was nice to see some of Seina's bad-luck showing when the girls aren't close enough.

And it looks like we'll get some of the parts that were cut from OAV 5, like Jovia getting caught visiting her previous hometown.

edit: I think CR has updated their subs. In OAV 4 ep1 when Tenchi is talking to Tsukiko, he mentions that Minaho is referred to as Seto's "Leash and Conscience." I'm certain that it used to only say "leash". I wonder if they're using AI to translate, and the AI got an update.

edit2: Oh, yes. They've definitely updated the subs.

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on June 27, 2023, 08:57:37 PM
Can anyone make sense of the title of episode 3, as written on the show page,
「類は友呼び 朱に交わる」/ Rui wa tomo yobi shu ni majiwaru

The machine translation comes out as...

"A kind is called a friend, crosses with vermilion"
or
Kinds are called friends and meet vermilion [without quotation marks]
or
The kind meets the friend call vermilion [Yandex]

way past my "I recognize some phrases from anime" fluency in Japanese... can anyone make sense of it?

I guess it's like [Friends] meet [Vermilion?] but it's still so wrong

According to deepl: "Like minds gather like friends."

June 30, 2023, 10:50:44 AM #102 Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:35:50 AM by Nonsuch Ned
 "Like minds gather like friends." - neat. Because it seems to be a weird sticking point, I put it in deepl too and removed "朱" and got "Birds of a feather flock together" - So I guess it must be a take on a japanese phrase we're unfamiliar with, which they just dropped "Vermilion" into.

The OP- the bit that really surprised me was the quartet at the end: There definitely have not been any giganta-boobed dryads in the novels yet. Acha! ... Airen (also shown right before) --- or maybe not... Did Souren get his sex change? Although that doesn't really look like a femme version of him -- so I'm guessing someone else.

What I liked about Seina's bad luck scene was how they showed his "trouble avoidance" abilities- he dodges even in his sleep- brilliant. For the opposite take, think of the scene in the TV show where he's on Earth and wakes up in his home. If I remember right, Fuku swats the cord to his overhead light and the entire thing falls on his face.
It's one of the reasons a remake of the TV would be nice- it got the nature of Seina's  bad luck so wrong, so often. They played it off as a funny inconvenience instead of a deadly curse. Missing completely that he had to develop special abilities to avoid being killed.

ZInv-chan, yes, look at the ep.3 preview image posted on the previous page- Darkreves got it right, although the depiction is a way simpler take on the novel illustration:

It is definitely showing some problems though. It keeps going over things already covered in OVA 5 instead of moving on. Why the hell talk about building the house again? We get it... but, I guess all these girls just kept this plan from Kiriko, so she could be told about it like it's a new idea?
...in my pants

I think that the dryad in the back might be a physical incarnation of a magic tree on the kamidake or possibly the magic spirit that communicated with Nayuta, anything is possible at this point.

We actually get a brief look at the mysterious plant woman in Omatsuri Zenjitsu no Yoru Tenchi Ban 22.12