GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
That character on the drama CD... sure looks like a child Seto.

im surprised crunchy roll hasnt announced anything i should ask them if theyere picking it up
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Crunchyroll just dropped the first episode of OVA 5 a week after it was released in Japan. I don't think they even made an announcement.

My guess is that it's an OVA so it doesn't get a lot of coverage even though this is the "Main" story line

:Hap:

Paradise Starting is a pretty awkward title though.

fresh of the bat jobia mentioned her reincarnation plotline
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

the pacing is so much better im excited for this even if it is retreading stuff.
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

May 26, 2023, 12:03:08 AM #69 Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 05:27:39 PM by GP cadet 87
Just saw it, and overall I liked it.

Like the last two seasons, it's very exposition heavy going over things we already know. But it felt less like filler this time around, because it is continuing Seina's story, not acting as an unnecessary prequel to Geminar.

The conversation between Seina and Tsukiko was surprisingly sweet, and it also drives home how tragic Seina's life would've been if Amane hadn't showed up and he would've stayed on Earth.

NGL, even though I've known about it for years. it was squicky seeing a woman who was Seina's surrogate mom his whole life, tell him to his face that she has romantic feelings for him. And it happens right after Seina is reminiscing about always staying over, and there's a brief shot of him as a very young boy hanging outt with Kai and Kiriko.

. Yes, I know that it's been established since the beginning that this universe has no incest taboo, but you don't think about it with Ayeka and Sasami because they met and think of Tenchi as more of an Earthling boy that they met than actual family.

The best joke of that whole conversation wasTsukiko talking about Seina being surrounded by "guard dogs" (his harem) but people keep getting through. I love how she see's Jovia as an interloper and herself as part of the harem already, when she's literally hitting on her own daughter's husband. lol

Also, I don't why, but I prefer Seina's character design from OVA 4. IIRC, he was slightly bigger but his face looked the same as the GXP anime. Now, that he looks more traditionally handsome, it sort of feels weird, I can't really explain why.

Definitely invested in seeing more of Seina's story, since Tenchi has gone God mode for awhile, I find Seina to be a more interesting protagonist than him tbh.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on February 19, 2023, 10:17:11 PM
This news is a few days old, but I only saw it now. They announced who is doing the OP and ED.
https://twitter.com/tenchi4th/status/1626405080290447360
https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000003939.000032953.html

Quote from: full gonzo on February 12, 2023, 01:13:17 AM
I wonder if there's the faintest chance these will have multi-language subs.
0% chance of that.

Haha! I would have thought that too. Man, was I stunned when folks pinged me about this being on CR. I hadn't even heard of a licensing announcement.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on May 19, 2023, 11:33:33 PM
My guess is that it's an OVA so it doesn't get a lot of coverage even though this is the "Main" story line

Maybe. But back in the day, FUNimation couldn't even release OVA 3 until the entire thing had released in JP, to prevent Japanese folks from buying the cheaper, English DVDs. I suspect CR has some sort of region-blocking on their website to prevent Japanese folks from watching it here without paying for a physical copy. And CR may have been forced to stay on the low. But that's just me speculating.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on May 25, 2023, 07:13:13 PM
:Hap:

Paradise Starting is a pretty awkward title though.

I agree. Paradise Begins would have been better, in my opinion.

Quote from: Eff Efferson on May 25, 2023, 09:45:05 PM
the pacing is so much better im excited for this even if it is retreading stuff.

I'm find with retreading. In fact, I would have preferred some additional information for those who've not read the GXP novels.

Quote from: GP cadet 87 on May 26, 2023, 12:03:08 AM
Just saw it, and overall I liked it.

Likewise.

QuoteNGL, even though I've known about it for years. it was squicky seeing a woman who was Seina's surrogate mom his whole life, tell him to his face that she has romantic feelings for him. Yes, I know that it's been established since the beginning that this universe has no incest taboo, but you don't think about it with Ayeka and Sasami because they met and think of Tenchi as more of an Earthling boy that they met than actual family.

I agree 100% with this. Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki was the harem title where I wanted Tenchi to pick a single girl. I remember debating with True Sheol and others about this. Eventually, they convinced me that Tenchi would marry all of the girls, including Sasami. I had a difficult time with all of that. But then from a story perspective, the political marriages made sense. So that caused me to accept the harem aspect. And Sasami being WAY older than she looked, combined with her actually being Tsunami caused me to accept that aspect.

However, even though Kajishima-sensei created a story reason for Tsukiko to be with Seina, I still can't get over the ick factor. It is just about as cringe as Airi wanting to bang her grandson, Tenchi. As you said, Tsukiko was like a mom to Seina. But not only that, she is his mother-in-law. I understand the oyakodon fetish, but whew! What happened to Tsukiko's husband? It has been a while, so I don't remember.

QuoteI love how she see's Jovia as an interloper

I really need to read up on Jovia. I didn't realize she'd been reborn/reincarnated multiple times and apparently originated on Earth. I guess it was mentioned in OVA 5? But I don't recall that.

QuoteDefinitely invested in seeing more of Seina's story, since Tenchi has gone God mode for awhile, I find Seina to be a more interesting protagonist than him tbh.

Other than marrying his harem, Tenchi's story was over in OVA 3. OVA 4 is about Tenchi's dad and step-mom, not Tenchi. OVA 5 was about training Kenshi to go to Geminar, with a side for Tenchi to marry his harem. So yeah, Tenchi's story is over. But Seina's story continues.

It really sucks that the GXP novels won't get animated, nor the Paradise War novels. They should, IMO, providing they are ACCURATE to the source material. But I know Kajishima-sensei doesn't like to cover the same ground twice unless absolutely required (the GXP novels).

Anyway, glad to see CR had the first episode and presumably the series. It is a holiday weekend, so I will try to make time to do a video review. The "Paradise Starting" may be trash, but for the most part, I thought the adaptation was good.

Additional: Is that Masaki for the extra art?

New theory... They travel to the different factions and help decide who becomes the representatives of the groups. Seeing each girl in their previous circumstances could definitely help their stories.
...in my pants

The first episode just came out and they already have an article showing episode 2's box art and contents. As someone who has only been around for the releases of OVA 4 and 5 this new monthly release schedule is wonderful. Waiting 3 months for an episode was hell.
https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000004116.000032953.html

I got home from work on Friday afternoon and there it was. This first episode Blu-Ray was in my mailbox! Since I bought the 6 disc set from Amazon.jp, I also received the small Masaki piece that is in the picture in Ryo-Okay's post.

Based on the happenings in the Paradise War novels, Dai-yon-ki, Dai-go-ki, and now Paradise Shido-hen, there is NO WAY Kajishima-sensei could have wrapped up Seina's story in GXP vol 18!

I really enjoyed episode one. Not a lot of action, but I think that's fine as long as the story progresses.

We'll probably never know Jovia's backstory, but I really want to see/read her interaction with Seina when she realized that he was from Japan. Hopefully we'll see some Airen in this season. I almost cancelled my subscription with Amazon.jp and ordered the set from Rakuten Books to get the Airen cloth poster and Acrylic key chain. Tough decision! I've got my daughter watching her anime goods sites for any of the limited items!

I've started working on a small jig that will allow me to photograph the novel, without having to destroy it, when it shows up in 5 months. I'm not planning on breaking the seal on any of them, except the novel, if I can!
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

May 27, 2023, 03:56:39 PM #74 Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 04:49:45 PM by Nonsuch Ned
Hope for a quick return to a prominent space story seemed dashed when I looked up the Japanese wiki page and discovered the apparent title for the second episode is Bright Rural Life (明るい♥農村生活)
:neg:

From the show page description for #2 (google translated)
Episode 2 "Bright Rural ♥ Life"

The next day after returning to Earth and spending the night at Tsukiko's house, a welcome party will be held for Miki and his daughter-in-law to celebrate the return of Seinan and others at the meeting place in Masaki Village.
The women of Masaki Village are also curious about Miki and the other women and Jobia, and when Seinan, who was a child, has returned as an adult "man", expectations for life in the village are rising.
Of course, Moon Lake's heart...
Kirin and the others have not yet returned to Earth, but Miki and the others decide to help out with the village's work so that they can live in Masaki Village.
A few days later, Jobia returned from her hometown, but...
...in my pants