GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Dreamr on July 28, 2023, 11:31:30 PM
Caught an error.

The royal tree for Banjo Island is specified as a third generation by Quiz. But in OAV 5 ep 2 she says its a fourth generation.

And dag-gone-it those pillars of greenery look like broccoli. I hate CG in anime.

its a 4th
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Does anyone know if there are any textless versions of the cover images for the releases? Are they maybe extra images in the BD releases? During the releases for OVA5, the textless versions were on product page on Amazon-jp, but this time they have yet to even use any specific image for the releases, all only having the promo image for the series as a whole. The character images on these covers are really nice, I'd love them without the extra noise on the covers.
...in my pants

Quote from: Eff Efferson on July 03, 2023, 04:13:34 PM
ASTRO, The audio drama seems to indicate that yeah the reason for the huge supermarket is to funnel seinas earnings to earth money.

Thanks!

Quote from: Eff Efferson on July 09, 2023, 06:04:20 PM
you know what i dont get, why did this new ova retread tsukiko telling seina about what would happen if he didn't go to space, she went over all this in the novels with him already when they came back to earth to see tenchi

EXNOA (whom I'm annoyed with for copyright striking my YouTube channel over my episode 1 review) is following proper storytelling methods. I've no doubt if left to Kajishima-sensei, he would just expect folks to have read the novels and have done. But EXNOA is assuming not everyone reads the novels, thus a retread.

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on July 10, 2023, 10:53:33 AM
I don't have as much annoyance of covering things in the novels as I do with them retreading details they've already covered in the anime releases. Why go over Kenshi yet again again again with Seina? They have effectively screwed up the chronology of the shows, as it certainly SEEMS like OVA4.4 would have already occurred... but now they seem to be saying that it hasn't?

EXNOA is making the series to try to capture new fans who haven't read or watched all of the previous material. I'm fine with that. Modern canon Tenchi anime titles have an insanely high entry bar.

Okay, now that I'm caught up, just checking to see if there's info in the novels about Mirei. Who's apartment did Mirei and Jovia visit? I understand Mirei owns it now, but did she always own it? The episode implied that it was a place where they could read their BL, hentai doujinshi in peace.

there is nothing in the novels on that yet. jovia has shown up but hasnt even met seina yet in the novels i think... i havent fully listened to gxp 17 yet. but i rememebr checking the end and i think it ends with him being brought to see her
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

While the apartment is not explained, I'm just assuming that it's just a cheap apartment that Mirei started renting on the side. Her family seems extremely prominent and wealthy (confirmed by Washu saying she should be brought into the group that knows about Jurai and the alien federation), so a secret apartment or two could have been got just with some allowance money. Now grown up, she seems to be in charge of whatever the family business is.
But it seems odd that someone with this amount of influence wouldn't be able to move their stash surreptitiously without relying on Jovia's spirit storage space.
...in my pants

Quote from: Eff Efferson on July 30, 2023, 01:22:18 AM
Caught an error.

The royal tree for Banjo Island is specified as a third generation by Quiz. But in OAV 5 ep 2 she says its a fourth generation.

And dag-gone-it those pillars of greenery look like broccoli. I hate CG in anime.

its a 4th

I have to believe that there may well have been a 3rd-generation Royal Tree to temporarily have the name Banjou-tou, that is later replaced with a 4th-generation Royal Tree. I can't imagine such an obvious script error being allowed to carry on to final production. How does the Juraian chick in Paradise War get her Royal Tree?

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on August 01, 2023, 05:31:25 PM
Caught an error.

its a 4th

I have to believe that there may well have been a 3rd-generation Royal Tree to temporarily have the name Banjou-tou, that is later replaced with a 4th-generation Royal Tree. I can't imagine such an obvious script error being allowed to carry on to final production. How does the Juraian chick in Paradise War get her Royal Tree?

From what we know a 4th gen tree makes sense. 4th and down are known to be used as guardians and power sources for important places. 3rd and up are typically reserved for royal family members, also because they are intelligent/self-aware.

Palty? Don't think she has one. IIRC, she has not been officially recognized as royal family, since she was conceived through illegitimate/illegal means. Plus, that would put her over the other pirate girls. So it doesn't work with the story. But, in the future, who knows? If the tree were third gen, it could just up and decide for itself to form a contract with her.

Or, yeah, use a third-gen to do the transportation, then later replace it with a 4th gen. That is certainly within the realm of possibility. But then you'd have to transport another less powerful tree to earth later on, and likely retune the entire structure to the new tree. Why do something twice when you could do it once? Seems terribly inefficient. Its not like these sort of mistakes haven't happened before, right? I mean, 2000 years, 5000 years, what's a few millennia between friends?

Quote from: Dreamr on August 01, 2023, 11:37:33 PM
Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on August 01, 2023, 05:31:25 PM
Caught an error.

I don't know we will have to drink jurais healing waters that never get mentioned ever again to find out.
its a 4th

From what we know a 4th gen tree makes sense. 4th and down are known to be used as guardians and power sources for important places. 3rd and up are typically reserved for royal family members, also because they are intelligent/self-aware.

Palty? Don't think she has one. IIRC, she has not been officially recognized as royal family, since she was conceived through illegitimate/illegal means. Plus, that would put her over the other pirate girls. So it doesn't work with the story. But, in the future, who knows? If the tree were third gen, it could just up and decide for itself to form a contract with her.

Or, yeah, use a third-gen to do the transportation, then later replace it with a 4th gen. That is certainly within the realm of possibility. But then you'd have to transport another less powerful tree to earth later on, and likely retune the entire structure to the new tree. Why do something twice when you could do it once? Seems terribly inefficient. Its not like these sort of mistakes haven't happened before, right? I mean, 2000 years, 5000 years, what's a few millennia between friends?
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

August 02, 2023, 06:41:40 PM #143 Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 07:16:08 AM by Dreamr
Coincidentally, as I was working on translating Tenchi Koukairoku, on the very first page Kajishima confirms that Masaki is the sister of the first Emperor. I only mention it here and now because there was some different terminology used recently, and I wanted it to be crystal clear. No real surprise, tbh. Also confirms the first King had a first generation tree. They're discussing the first TTM novel.

Ikigame: This is off topic, but have there been people who have obtained the first generation of the Imperial Tree in the past?
Kajishima: Yes, in the past. Although the number is very small.
Ikigame: So those who did so first became the Emperor of Jurai?
Kajishima: Well, at least the first Jurai Emperor was the first generation. Funaho...no, Misaki...(laughter) Tsunami and..!
Ikigame: (laughs) That's funny, I'll make the most of this place. Kajishima, you need rehabilitation too.
Kajishima: He made a contract with Tsunami and received a first generation tree.
Ikigame: And this woman on the right is?
Kajishima: She is the younger sister of the first Jurai Emperor.

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on June 29, 2023, 07:47:43 PM
I've seen the picture now (but not the episode-I was having tech problems), I'd say you were right the first time (1994 and 2005 are the only possibilities for that calandar page) and the meaning this time is simply an admission that they've given up and are using a sliding timeline now. For everything to happen and for people to be the right ages as shown- if this were using the old timeline, this would have to take place a few years after OVA4- not just a couple.

...just thought of another calendar possibility that says they have REALLY moved up the timeline... another year with a May starting on a Sunday is 2016! ...that kinda looks like "2016"

I think the technology of this episode (3) does confirm that they have abandoned a concrete timeline that would normally place the year around 2000... We're at least in the 2010's (The TV has gotten bigger and flatter - the console is about 3 gens newer), if we are to go by the  calendar possibilities, it would have to be 2011 or.2016... or even... if they are COMPLETELY discounting that OVA5 recounts about 10 years of future development and using a completely sliding timeline in which the time depicted is contemporary with the time of airing, the calendar also matches 2022...
...in my pants

Episode 3 solved another mystery. It appears that the girl in Pinup 3 of GXP 14 is ZINV.
i was very surprised to see Masaki in the opening sequence and very happy to see her make an appearance at the end of the episode!

While we didn't see Kukoma Shou in the episode, he also made an appearance in the opening sequence. Maybe next episode?

BoB
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

Quote from: BobSchlotkin on August 03, 2023, 04:12:37 AM
Episode 3 solved another mystery. It appears that the girl in Pinup 3 of GXP 14 is ZINV.
i was very surprised to see Masaki in the opening sequence and very happy to see her make an appearance at the end of the episode!

While we didn't see Kukoma Shou in the episode, he also made an appearance in the opening sequence. Maybe next episode?

BoB

That would be nice. But, that would put us directly into Paradise Wars proper, since Shou didn't show (I swear that wasn't intentional) until novel 1, when the island was already inhabitable. Maybe ep 6.

In the time between episode releases, I have missed some details and will need to do a rewatch but might as well check here first. In the 'timeline project' thread, Ned suggests a calendar plug in Episode 2. This is huge! Are we really seeing all the original characters now in their mid to late twenties!?

August 04, 2023, 10:45:34 AM #148 Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:39:55 PM by Nonsuch Ned
I think Shou in the credits just points to "what's coming" - not strictly saying that he'll show up. But maybe we'll get the earliest stuff. Like, Shou's mom is shopping at the Yamada Super Store (and IIRC it's mentioned that it's right after their expansion) when Seina's mom gives her the flyer for Banjo Island. So, we could maybe get that and her telling Shou that they're all planning to emigrate there. --- Also makes sense because the first episodes here set up that the cabbit girls are going to be working at the store, maybe in this version he comes to the store and they see something in him that inspires them to give him the flyer. They WERE very ready to accept Shou when they met him and eventually became his "crew" in the book. Almost as if they already knew him.

Preview image and description are up on the Kinematics show page (which I've put on a page in the wiki), the next episode will mostly deal with landing Banjo Island and introducing Airen and Souren. There doesn't seem to be a spoiler tag here, so that's the best I can do.
...in my pants

Quote from: WaitoKon on August 04, 2023, 10:43:12 AM
In the time between episode releases, I have missed some details and will need to do a rewatch but might as well check here first. In the 'timeline project' thread, Ned suggests a calendar plug in Episode 2. This is huge! Are we really seeing all the original characters now in their mid to late twenties!?

If it were 2005 and a concrete timeline, Tenchi would be 28-29. That's the problem. He's not, Kenshi's a toddler and they depict a world that's at least in the 2010's.
We're still about 8 years after beginning events, it's just that we can't say that's necessarily 1992 anymore because they're using a sliding timeline.

It's like Detective Conan (well, not that bad- not 30 years of content in a timeframe that's supposed to be a couple years)- the show roughly depicts the time of the show at release. Otherwise, Nobuyuki would be showing off his new pager and the most explicit thing Jovia and Mirei could watch would be Gravitation.
...in my pants