GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 04, 2023, 11:09:51 AM
Quote from: WaitoKon on August 04, 2023, 10:43:12 AM
In the time between episode releases, I have missed some details and will need to do a rewatch but might as well check here first. In the 'timeline project' thread, Ned suggests a calendar plug in Episode 2. This is huge! Are we really seeing all the original characters now in their mid to late twenties!?

If it were 2005 and a concrete timeline, Tenchi would be 28-29. That's the problem. He's not, Kenshi's a toddler and they depict a world that's at least in the 2010's.
We're still about 8 years after beginning events, it's just that we can't say that's necessarily 1992 anymore because they're using a sliding timeline.

It's like Detective Conan (well, not that bad- not 30 years of content in a timeframe that's supposed to be a couple years)- the show roughly depicts the time of the show at release. Otherwise, Nobuyuki would be showing off his new pager and the most explicit thing Jovia and Mirei could watch would be Gravitation.

JOBIA is defiantly a Shuichi X Ryuichi stan
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Just wanted to let you all know that I found a full set of the OVA 5 Special Edition Blu-rays for about $150.
With my current Drama CD transcription and translation load, don't expect to see OVA 5 until after I finish OVA 4. Prolly late September. OVA 4's Drama CDs are huge!

BoB
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

The Kinematics site now has some details on vol. 5

https://kinematics.jp/tenchi-gxp/story.html#005

Thoughts on the title?
「月影叩扉」-- 「Tsukikage 叩扉」(no translator I've put that through puts the second half in romanji)
Whatever translator Edge uses:
says "Moonshadow Knocking Door"... but that's gotta be crap.

An Allusion to Tsukiko there... and part of the story may take place on the moon... or in any case, they just left the moon.
Playing word games again
...in my pants

gooble translat :
Tsukiko, who had symptoms of a cold during the "dream" experience during the final adjustment of the board island, was dreaming in a hazy consciousness. However, even though they were just the beginning of their involvement, they will raise the potential of Tsukiko's "magic". While it is unclear whether it is a dream or reality, he catches a glimpse of the memory of the magic essence "system", but it is Tsukiko's nostalgic memory.

calling it now im bettinf Tsukiko is the villan of the ova, She's gonna have a weird relapse into ayuko.
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Watching new episode now. Jovia's magic is... strangely powerful. I mean, literally creating a body and then linking someone's astral body to it, involuntarily? That's powerful imo. Ofc, its entirely possible Masaki wanted it to happen.

Not impressed with the image of Masaki naked. Could have been better.

Possible inconsistency: Quis says Seto got in touch with Earth's Masaki family 700 years ago. At first I was like no way she would have known at that point. But then I recalled that Azusa's arrival was what triggered the release of information that revealed Masaki's location. So maybe she meant Masaki, the original King's sister's family, rather than Yosho's decendants. But I'm not sure how relevant that would be. Are they even important enough to warrant that kind of attention?

imo Ryoko and Masaki would totally get along. Can't wait for them to meet.

Very disappointed in Mikagami's exterior shot. No textures at all. Just bland basic colors. Compared to older Jurai tree ships, this is kind of disappointing. Maybe since its a 5-second mostly static shot, they decided to save the money. Except a stock simple wooden texture is stupid easy to do on a CG model.

"Jojobiatch" L-O-L.

Yeah, Yosho contacted Kanemitsu about 600 years ago, that's when Seto figured out what happened. But, 600...700... what's the difference? It's just like last week to these guys, Kuis being over 10,000 years old (no date for when she was "made.")

I noticed that they didn't spoil the Souren reveal immediately... unless he really has changed by this time.

But yeah, Jovia really is a very powerful "capable idiot"- head of her guild on Barrium and he considered her "professional" when working - but only when working.
...in my pants

I'm not going to lie, but I loved having stuff about Masaki in the episode. As mentioned, Juvia's mage abilities to create a body and bind and astral form to it is amazing. But this possibly clashes with what was in Omatsuri Zenjitsu no Yoru 21 Seiki-ban 1, where I thought Tokimi gave Masaki a new, physical body in the future. But that was written years ago, and I think Kajishima-sensei once said that the official releases trump the doujin releases.

I actually got a bit emotional when Tsunami showed up. Someone said they thought she showed up in OVA 5, but I don't remember that. Sasami was old enough to now have the two dots of Tsunami on her forehead, but she wasn't doing stuff as Tsunami, even though technically, Tsunami and Sasami are the same person. That aside, it was great seeing Tsunami get involved, and it made sense, seeing as how Masaki and Shinou (sp) were the founders of Jurai. However, I wonder how much of that would have been clear to a new viewer.

Finally, the magic realm stuff within Kamidake II was interesting, but I couldn't help but feel that Kajishima-sensei just doesn't know when to stop with the female (or "female") fetish types.

Anyone know the significance of the sign?

...in my pants

Best guess is it's the guildhall sign.

August 31, 2023, 02:20:17 AM #159 Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 02:13:01 AM by Dreamr
Quote from: Kagato3 on August 30, 2023, 12:25:23 AM
:this:

Fellow nerds, there is something I'd like to discuss since the terms keep coming up in this newest series. In the subs, there is a definite difference between "spirit thread" and "astral". I've always considered them to be the at least similar if not identical. Are they the same, or no? Discuss.

Also, for us real old-timers, when Jovia is playing an 8-bit JRPG on the bridge with a SNES controller, the sound effects are from Pac-Man.  :chord:

What exactly was Kuis suggesting when she told Kiroko to "use her brother or sister" to handle the situation with  Kiroko doesn't have a little sister, unless she's referring to Kai's betrothed / Seina's little sister.

@nonsuch Ned, I ran episode 5 summary through deepl. It says: Tsukiko, who had symptoms of a cold during the "dream" experience during the final adjustment of the board island, was dreaming in a hazy consciousness.
However, even though they were just the beginning of their involvement, they will raise the potential of Tsukiko's "magic".
While it is unclear whether it is a dream or reality, he/she catches a glimpse of the memory of the magic essence "system", which is also a nostalgic memory of Tsukiko.
At the same time, a shadow appears in Masakimura Tsukiko's house. Kai infiltrated to confirm "last night's love affair", but there is no "trace", disappointing.
When I look around, I can't help but see a "pamphlet" delivered by GP courier to Seinan."

Kai looks through the house to see if his mother slept with Seina? Damn, son. You brave.

Not just Pac Man. The Atari 2600 version of Pac Man.

From everything I've seen Astral seems to refer to the soul as a whole. Spirit threads seem to be the connection between a soul? and other locations that allow magical teleportation

September 05, 2023, 10:50:19 AM #161 Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 04:21:36 PM by Nonsuch Ned
Quote from: Dreamr on August 31, 2023, 02:20:17 AM
"Which" guild though? A personal guild of Seina's (although that would typically be know as a party)? The Adventurer's Guild? The Pharmacy Guild? ...the guild of sword-wielding knitters?
Fellow nerds, there is something I'd like to discuss since the terms keep coming up in this newest series. In the subs, there is a definite difference between "spirit thread" and "astral". I've always considered them to be the at least similar if not identical. Are they the same, or no? Discuss.
Astrals are basically souls, they reside in the astral sea when a person passes. I like Tsunami's line in this episode about Masaki's original astral "breaking up in the astral sea."
It's a concept used in a few religions, including multiple Eastern religions.
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Astral_Pattern

I haven't written an article specifically on Spirit Threads, but have collected information about magic in general.
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Magic

Spirit threads are, as far as I can tell, more like a personal "network"- wherever a magician goes they can attach spirit threads to connect themselves to places and people. In the 17th novel, there's a chapter where Seina observes people on Barrium attaching them to women they are attracted to (allusion or joke about the "red string of fate" - except guys attach them to their favorite working girls or bar-girls)- and that one group trying to attach lines to Seina so they can track him. By attaching lines to places and people in Renza to himself and places on Earth, people can travel almost instantaneously across these lines. In the third episode, Seina transports the whole Banjo Island ship from the location where they were being attacked by pirates to a location they had just been, because it was on the same spirit thread. An exceptional thing about Seina is his imagination in using his spirit threads. Magic is limited by mana and a person's imagination, and most can't conceive of transporting an island sized ship instantaneously, but Seina and his almost inexhaustible amount of mana can do it. He put the ship in the spirit thread and moved it along that thread. There are also obviously spirit threads attached directly to the magical area in the Kamidake, explaining why people can travel directly there without having to gain access outside of the ship.

QuoteWhat exactly was Kuis suggesting when she told Kiroko to "use her brother or sister" to handle the situation with  Kiroko doesn't have a little sister, unless she's referring to Kai's betrothed / Seina's little sister.
Politics and the matter of who is "first wife."
Kuis is telling Tsukiko to make babies (a sibling to Kiriko) with Seina to make sure that Seina doesn't have a child with Jovia first. She/they want "first wife" status to remain in the hands of a Juraian. Jovia, and apparently Airen, beat Kiriko and the others to a formal ceremony- but it can be said that the failed wedding protects Kiriko's claim as "first wife" in that way. But if Jovia or another non-Juraian were to have the first kid with Seina, that would muddy things.

@nonsuch Ned, I ran episode 5 summary through deepl. It says: Tsukiko, who had symptoms of a cold during the "dream" experience during the final adjustment of the board island, was dreaming in a hazy consciousness.
However, even though they were just the beginning of their involvement, they will raise the potential of Tsukiko's "magic".
While it is unclear whether it is a dream or reality, he/she catches a glimpse of the memory of the magic essence "system", which is also a nostalgic memory of Tsukiko.
At the same time, a shadow appears in Masakimura Tsukiko's house. Kai infiltrated to confirm "last night's love affair", but there is no "trace", disappointing.
When I look around, I can't help but see a "pamphlet" delivered by GP courier to Seinan."
Yeah, I used a couple translators to summarize it on the wiki (one I like: https://www.romajidesu.com/translator). The section where Tsukiko is traveling along the path to the "guild" entrance, upside down for awhile, and noticing the "green mist" around her as magic seems to be the dream section they are referring to.

I'm mostly wondering what the most fluent translators think about the episode title: 「月影叩扉」
I am currently using "Tsukikage Tapping Door" on the wiki, but I haven't gotten one of these titles right yet.
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tsukikage_Tapping_Door

...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on September 05, 2023, 10:50:19 AM
Quote from: Dreamr on August 31, 2023, 02:20:17 AM
"Which" guild though? A personal guild of Seina's (although that would typically be know as a party)? The Adventurer's Guild? The Pharmacy Guild? ...the guild of sword-wielding knitters?
Astrals are basically souls, they reside in the astral sea when a person passes. I like Tsunami's line in this episode about Masaki's original astral "breaking up in the astral sea."
It's a concept used in a few religions, including multiple Eastern religions.
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Astral_Pattern

I haven't written an article specifically on Spirit Threads, but have collected information about magic in general.
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Magic

Spirit threads are, as far as I can tell, more like a personal "network"- wherever a magician goes they can attach spirit threads to connect themselves to places and people. In the 17th novel, there's a chapter where Seina observes people on Barrium attaching them to women they are attracted to (allusion or joke about the "red string of fate" - except guys attach them to their favorite working girls or bar-girls)- and that one group trying to attach lines to Seina so they can track him. By attaching lines to places and people in Renza to himself and places on Earth, people can travel almost instantaneously across these lines. In the third episode, Seina transports the whole Banjo Island ship from the location where they were being attacked by pirates to a location they had just been, because it was on the same spirit thread. An exceptional thing about Seina is his imagination in using his spirit threads. Magic is limited by mana and a person's imagination, and most can't conceive of transporting an island sized ship instantaneously, but Seina and his almost inexhaustible amount of mana can do it. He put the ship in the spirit thread and moved it along that thread. There are also obviously spirit threads attached directly to the magical area in the Kamidake, explaining why people can travel directly there without having to gain access outside of the ship.

QuoteWhat exactly was Kuis suggesting when she told Kiroko to "use her brother or sister" to handle the situation with  Kiroko doesn't have a little sister, unless she's referring to Kai's betrothed / Seina's little sister.
Politics and the matter of who is "first wife."
Kuis is telling Tsukiko to make babies (a sibling to Kiriko) with Seina to make sure that Seina doesn't have a child with Jovia first. She/they want "first wife" status to remain in the hands of a Juraian. Jovia, and apparently Airen, beat Kiriko and the others to a formal ceremony- but it can be said that the failed wedding protects Kiriko's claim as "first wife" in that way. But if Jovia or another non-Juraian were to have the first kid with Seina, that would muddy things.

Yeah, I used a couple translators to summarize it on the wiki (one I like: https://www.romajidesu.com/translator). The section where Tsukiko is traveling along the path to the "guild" entrance, upside down for awhile, and noticing the "green mist" around her as magic seems to be the dream section they are referring to.

I'm mostly wondering what the most fluent translators think about the episode title: 「月影叩扉」
I am currently using "Tsukikage Tapping Door" on the wiki, but I haven't gotten one of these titles right yet.
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tsukikage_Tapping_Door

spirit threads are etheric threads. its an irl occultism thing.  totaly different layer of reality from the astral. one is the archetypal layer the other is the energetic one is a personality the other is movement  energy and blueprint
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I've integrated that into the Magic article. Already have "Astral body" linked in the Astral Pattern page, so that makes a good companion.
...in my pants

Let's have a brief chat about subtitles.

Now my Japanese is nowhere near fluent, but I understand enough to not be happy with the Shido Hen subtitles.
The Crunchyroll subs are so-so.
The EraiRaws subs are marginally better, but they typically don't respond to fixes for their subs. At least they haven't yet.

I've done a lot of searching and have only found a couple of places with Shido Hen subs.
I went through the BluRays for episodes 1-4 this morning in hopes of finding Japanese subs or captioning with no luck. I'm actually kinda pissed about that. You'd think someone at Kinematics or Exnoa would have thought of j-subs or CC for the hearing impaired over here, but no.

I got a wild hair this morning and ripped the audio from episodes 1-4 and have done the initial transcription. Gotta get my kid to verify the kanji. This will take a backseat to the Dai Yon Ki and Dai Go Ki audio dramas.

Where are you folks going for subtitles?

Thanks!
BoB
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!