GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
i've never seen a single anime blu-ray come with japanese subtitles.

September 16, 2023, 11:22:44 PM #166 Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:27:06 PM by Ryo-Okay
I got caught up tonight, and I'm really struggling to care about this OVA. I don't find Tsukiko or Jovia interesting, and I don't care for all the fantasy stuff being forced in. The series has established technology that does all the things Seina and Jovia are doing with magic, so it just feels needlessly tacked on. I'm also over this point in time of the Tenchi universe. The last 3 OVAs have all taken place between Kenshi's birth and him being sent to Geminar, and I'm ready for the series to move past that.

The GXP characters I like from the anime aren't present, and as someone who hasn't read the novels, I'm not being given enough time with the novel characters here to care about them. I wish the girls based on Dual characters got a bit more to do because I love Dual and am interested in them. Tsukiko and Jovia are our Ryoko and Ayeka or Kiriko and Amane for this OVA, but I don't think they have good chemistry with Seina or each other.

Production quality has been pretty good, and this is the best animated OVA since they started making them again. So it at least has that going for it.

Aslo, I just had a thought. Is the dryad in the fantasy world inside the Kamidake the same as the one from those If doujins? In episode 4 someone said Seina was the lord of the mansion in the fantasy world, but he said the estate wasn't actually his. Something like that, I don't remember the exact wording. I'm wondering if the guy from those If doujins was there originally. I could be completely off base with this though.

I don't know if they've been very explicit about it in the anime yet, but there is a very important thing about Magic that technology has a problem with. Magic should, ultimately, be the solution to getting Kenshi back... and allowing him to go back and forth if he wants.
Do they need to spend this much time on this period?
I think it's fun. Jovia is a favorite to some. I like having her around as a punching bag.
Although they seem to have abandoned the idea of her being a purposeful reincarnation, I think she's supposed to be analogous to Kiyone Masaki. Her talking about being reorn and the audio book rehashing the same thing seems to suggest that she was reborn to fill the gap in the universe left by Kiyone's death... Somehow the universe needs a super obnoxious quasi-sadist.

The Kinematics site has now been updated with pictures and a synopsis of the final episode that covers the pirate kids arriving and seems to end with Shou's arrival. The title, for once, seems straight forward: "Welcome to Paradise."

One thing missing. Any hint of a "shadowy antagonist"... you know, the one from the preview image.
So, I am pretty sure that the "shadow figure WAS supposed to be Mirei, but her hair design was changed slightly, giving her the long hair in the back, and now it doesn't match her final design.

Too bad, I do sort of wish it had at least asmall antagonist.
The only other person I could think it could possibly be would be Palty's mother- she's definitely a "villain." Although not well done in PW, she is a character who has done enough evil to be hated.
...in my pants

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on September 16, 2023, 11:22:44 PM
I got caught up tonight, and I'm really struggling to care about this OVA. I don't find Tsukiko or Jovia interesting, and I don't care for all the fantasy stuff being forced in. The series has established technology that does all the things Seina and Jovia are doing with magic, so it just feels needlessly tacked on. I'm also over this point in time of the Tenchi universe. The last 3 OVAs have all taken place between Kenshi's birth and him being sent to Geminar, and I'm ready for the series to move past that.

The GXP characters I like from the anime aren't present, and as someone who hasn't read the novels, I'm not being given enough time with the novel characters here to care about them. I wish the girls based on Dual characters got a bit more to do because I love Dual and am interested in them. Tsukiko and Jovia are our Ryoko and Ayeka or Kiriko and Amane for this OVA, but I don't think they have good chemistry with Seina or each other.

Production quality has been pretty good, and this is the best animated OVA since they started making them again. So it at least has that going for it.

Aslo, I just had a thought. Is the dryad in the fantasy world inside the Kamidake the same as the one from those If doujins? In episode 4 someone said Seina was the lord of the mansion in the fantasy world, but he said the estate wasn't actually his. Something like that, I don't remember the exact wording. I'm wondering if the guy from those If doujins was there originally. I could be completely off base with this though.
nope the if nanika series has a red haired maid
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 25, 2023, 09:50:43 AM
Yeah, Yosho contacted Kanemitsu about 600 years ago, that's when Seto figured out what happened. But, 600...700... what's the difference? It's just like last week to these guys, Kuis being over 10,000 years old (no date for when she was "made.")

I noticed that they didn't spoil the Souren reveal immediately... unless he really has changed by this time.

But yeah, Jovia really is a very powerful "capable idiot"- head of her guild on Barrium and he considered her "professional" when working - but only when working.

Since Quis is a mirror of Seto, and Seto is 5000, Quis cannot be 10,000.

月影叩扉 Tsukikage Kouhi "Moonlight Knocking" is the best I can come up with. Might be a name of an unknown character that will be introduced. Or some strange reference to someone who comes knocking at night. Maybe Tsukiko will pay Seina a visit in the middle of the night.

September 27, 2023, 05:26:32 PM #171 Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 05:30:25 PM by Dreamr
Summary for episode 6:
At the request of Seto and others, Seina and his group managed to get Banjo Island into shape and even hosted the pirates and other guild members.
However, they did not make it to the facility in time, and the people of Masaki and the Seinas returned to the Earth where they are busy with their daily work.
They will continue to maintain Banjo Island and accept and monitor the pirates, but the observers from Earth also arrive and the hectic days begin.
However, what went wrong there, a family of earthlings immigrates to the island, which is also a happening.
Hearing that only the boy will arrive first, the observer "Minamida" is left to his right to make adjustments.

Pictures confirm Miron Pham, Shou Kukoma, and the 4 pirate girls.

Episode 5 watched. Yawn. Honestly, it was pretty boring, other than Tsukiko being some sort of magical savant right out of the gate.

It seems Crunchyroll couldn't figure out the episode title either, and simply used the japanese title: "Tsukikagekouhi".

September 28, 2023, 11:08:46 PM #173 Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 02:27:02 PM by GP cadet 87
I have to say, besides the hilarious exploration of Jovia's backstory, this OVA has been really underwhelming.

This isn't really a sequel to GXP; this is another Paradise War interquel. Too much time focused on boring filler, like the creation of Banjo Island and helping out at Misaki village.

The magic system would be a cool idea...bur I hate how it's made Seina and everyone else OP now.

What I liked most about Seina was that, body enhancement and access to a first generation seed/mecha aside, he wasn't this godlike OP being like Tenchi.

Seriously, every named character in this universe feels like watching OP gods just doing random day to day stuff. There's no personal or emotional drama like in the original OVAs. It's the most boring kind of SoL you can have.

One of the big changes in Tenchi Universe that I legit liked more than the original OVAs post episode 13; streamlining everyone's backstory and nerfing power levels.

Quote from: GP cadet 87 on September 28, 2023, 11:08:46 PM
I have to say, besides the hilarious exploration of Jovia's backstory, this OVA has been really underwhelming.

This isn't really a sequel to GXP; this is another Paradise War interquel. Too much time focused on boring filler, like the creation of Banjo Island and helping out at Misaki village.

The magic system would be a cool idea...bur I hate how it's made Seina and everyone else OP now.

What I liked most about Seina was that, body enhancement and access to a first generation seed/mecha aside, he wasn't this godlike OP being like Tenchi.

Seriously, every named character in this universe feels like watching OP gods just doing random day to day stuff. There's no personal or emotional drama like in the original OVAs. It's the most boring kind of SoL you can have.

One of the big changes in Tenchi Universe that I legit liked more than the original OVAs post episode 13; streamlining everyone's backstory and nerfing power levels.

yeah tbh letting seina use magick outside of renza honestly ruins his character also he no longer has any real chaos around him which makes him plain.

I am enjoying this ova but yeah he's been off his game  they just need to give him a new series to work on.

Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

GP Cadet 87, agreed! I laughed at "OP gods just doing random day to day stuff" because it's so true. I do miss the emotive storylines in the original OVAs, and while I do also genuinely enjoy niche deep-dive exposition and political machinations, a lot of the recent OVA content kind of feels like a meeting that could have been an email. But, I appreciate any time we get to spend with these guys even if it's just watching them talk about stuff. I hope we can move beyond the interquel time period soon.

I really enjoy Jovia as a character - she is silly and fun. It's nice to see the Renza magic people animated.

Crunchyroll is so funny with their efforts on the title translations. Episode 4 is still just "untitled".

You're going to get the whole OP gods doing slice of life stuff because well that's sort of the point of tenchi. Don't forget the series came out of an idea of what if we followed the Knight Sabers doing day to day stuff not the big drama and fights from bubblegum crisis.

September 29, 2023, 07:10:57 PM #177 Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 07:39:59 PM by Valmer
Quote from: Eff Efferson on September 29, 2023, 06:46:32 PM
Quote from: GP cadet 87 on September 28, 2023, 11:08:46 PM

yeah tbh letting seina use magick outside of renza honestly ruins his character also he no longer has any real chaos around him which makes him plain.

I am enjoying this ova but yeah he's been off his game  they just need to give him a new series to work on.

if i remember from the gxp novels Tokimi mentions when saina and tenchi are haveing the chat about tenchis problems
“He's immature not immortal. Seina Yamada. It is possible to kill him if he is destroyed at his
existing size.”
“So! And who's able to do that!? You're not able to do that, so isn't it almost as good as
immortality?”
It was hard to imagine a person destroying something that was the size of millions of light years
in scale.
“There are some high-dimensional creaturesin Zara that can, so can a first-generation Royal Tree,
and Seina's Yamada Kamidake ... ... And something which Seina Yamada could potentially take
control of in the future could also do it.”
i think this is mentioning the magic system due to some where in gxp novel 17 Nayuta was talking to saina about the magic system comeing from a different dimension

Quote from: Dreamr on September 24, 2023, 05:54:29 PM
月影叩扉 Tsukikage Kouhi "Moonlight Knocking" is the best I can come up with. Might be a name of an unknown character that will be introduced. Or some strange reference to someone who comes knocking at night. Maybe Tsukiko will pay Seina a visit in the middle of the night.

"night visitor" = "booty call"
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Kagato3 on September 01, 2023, 05:50:43 PM
Not just Pac Man. The Atari 2600 version of Pac Man.

Not the first time that sound effect has been used in the series. I want to say OVA 3 used it as well, but I don't have my discs with me.

Quote from: BobSchlotkin on September 15, 2023, 10:35:43 PM
Let's have a brief chat about subtitles.

Now my Japanese is nowhere near fluent, but I understand enough to not be happy with the Shido Hen subtitles.
The Crunchyroll subs are so-so.
The EraiRaws subs are marginally better, but they typically don't respond to fixes for their subs. At least they haven't yet.

Where are you folks going for subtitles?

I thought EraiRaws subs were CR's. I've been okay with the subs so far. At least they are using honorifics.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on September 15, 2023, 11:23:41 PM
i've never seen a single anime blu-ray come with japanese subtitles.

I don't have my collection with me. I was thinking I did own a JP anime BD with English subs, but I could be wrong. I know I have some live-action something (can't remember what) that has English subs, and not very good ones. Better than bootleg crap, but it was clear that English wasn't the subtitler's first language.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on September 16, 2023, 11:22:44 PM
I got caught up tonight, and I'm really struggling to care about this OVA. I don't find Tsukiko or Jovia interesting, and I don't care for all the fantasy stuff being forced in.

I hear ya. Jovia has never been an interesting character from her introduction in OVA 5. She's a very niche, fujoshi character for Japanese audiences. And Tsukiko is the MILF fetish, fantasy character. Plus, the fantasy genre is a means for Kajishima-sensei to get all of his writing fantasies into a single franchise. He kinda touched on the fantasy stuff with elves in War on Geminar. And now he's gone full blast in that direction with the GXP novels.

QuoteThe GXP characters I like from the anime aren't present, and as someone who hasn't read the novels, I'm not being given enough time with the novel characters here to care about them. I wish the girls based on Dual characters got a bit more to do because I love Dual and am interested in them.

To me, this should have been a GXP reboot series, adapting the novels, rather than jumping ahead in the novels to have a bridge between TM!R, GXP, and Paradise War.

QuoteProduction quality has been pretty good, and this is the best animated OVA since they started making them again. So it at least has that going for it.

I agree.

Quote from: Dreamr on September 28, 2023, 08:02:16 PM
Episode 5 watched. Yawn. Honestly, it was pretty boring, other than Tsukiko being some sort of magical savant right out of the gate.

I sense a death flag, especially since Tsukiko wasn't in OVA 5.

That aside, I found this to be the weakest episode of the lot. It isn't that I hate the episode. It looks nice, but I'm not invested in the fantasy, magic elements. I miss Seina's OG harem. One would have thought they would have found time to call Seina. Having a story featuring the cabbit harem would have been more interesting to me than Jovia or Tsukiko.