GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yah, it would have been a lot more interesting if it focused on the cabbit harem. I feel the Tsukiko angle just isn't working. And with only one episode left, I still can't see where its going, or why I should care.

On the other hand, it's funny I can always tell which one is D by her half-lidded eyes.

Maybe next we'll get Paradise Wars proper.

Well I have started reading Tenchi GXP novels it's quite different from anime. I agree with AstroNerdBoy that they should reboot GXP anime instead.

as much as that would be cool, I shudder to think how the community would react to Seina sitting on his throne in the seaside cave with all those women at his feet, including Airi and Seto.

Quote from: Dreamr on October 18, 2023, 11:17:14 PM
as much as that would be cool, I shudder to think how the community would react to Seina sitting on his throne in the seaside cave with all those women at his feet, including Airi and Seto.
Airi wasn't included, Mikami (sexy version) was though. Although if an anime depicted what Airi was doing at the time, it would have as much if not more of an effect (de-aged and fooling around with the similarly de-aged Yosho).
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on October 19, 2023, 04:18:16 PM
Airi wasn't included, Mikami (sexy version) was though. Although if an anime depicted what Airi was doing at the time, it would have as much if not more of an effect (de-aged and fooling around with the similarly de-aged Yosho).

Woops, you're right. It was Mikami, not Airi.

Quote from: Dreamr on October 19, 2023, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on October 19, 2023, 04:18:16 PM

Woops, you're right. It was Mikami, not Airi.

if an anime depicted what she was doing when seina was bathing neiju it would be cancled
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

October 25, 2023, 01:27:06 PM #186 Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 04:40:22 PM by Eff Efferson
i did not have tomi not being mikami on my bingo card also do you realise they couldve made a house for the contestants at any time n just didnt
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

got to watch it all even through the end credits i liked ep 6

October 27, 2023, 03:08:30 PM #188 Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 09:30:07 PM by GP cadet 87
Well, I finished it, and well, I feel very underwhelmed.

If it didn't dedicate so much of the screentime to setting up Paradise War, and instead kept on the theme from episode 1, showing how much Seina has changed despite still suffering from his bad luck and the fallout of that, it would've been so much better, so much more interesting.

The magic was a legit cool idea, but it just served to make everyone insanely OP.

We don't see him interact with the main girls of his harem at all, he barely interacts with his family.

That's the biggest reason calling this a sequel feel like false advertising.

The only other part I legit liked was Jovia's backstory. which I found funny. Everything else was boring filler to me.

Quote from: Eff Efferson on October 25, 2023, 01:27:06 PM
i did not have tomi not being mikami on my bingo card also do you realise they couldve made a house for the contestants at any time n just didnt

Really having problems explaining the "logic" there... Trying to show that their magic is extremely powerful... but also half-heartedly saying there are limits.

Tsukiko can make whole houses.... or just base floorplans...

And Tsukiko adds a difference to a possible adaptation... suddenly a completely new person... I'd guess being a voice of reason at the school that was never really there.

...Even as originally done in the novels, the reasoning to keep Shou in a tent never made sense. They made an entire convention center and hot spring... but not a house.
...They brought a camper trailer with a working shower up a mountain... but he can't use it...
...in my pants

I have to say, episode 6 felt cheap (as in EXNOA ran out of money)...and it doesn't feel like the end of a series. I get that this OVA is just to bridge the GXP novels with the Paradise War novels. But to me, there should have been more. I suppose if I had read the novels, I'd have an explanation of sorts on how things got established. But in terms of its own story, the GXP OVA felt hollow and pointless.

I'll write more in the blog, and maybe when I finally get moved into my new home, I can do a video reviewing the whole series. But here are issues I had.

1) The whole Tsukiko x Seina stuff was completely pointless.
2) As much as I liked seeing Masaki, she was pointless and turned into rubbish in episode 5.
3) Jovia is pointless.
4) The cabbits seem interesting, but not enough time is spent with them to flesh them out more.
5) There should have been some sort of cameo from Seina's other wives. I'm not saying they should have visited, but the technology exists for a "space phone call", so why not have it?
6) Speaking of contacts, outside of Kai, Seina has ZERO contact with his family. Why? Clearly, the cabbits (and I guess Jovia and Tsukiko) keep Seina's unlucky elements suppressed a lot. But even if direct contact was too much (and I don't buy that if Kai can contact Seina), then a phone call? Seriously!
7) The magic system is something I'm not buying into. As I understand it, space technology (Jurai, GXP, whatever) can do pretty much everything the magic can do.
8) And as usual, the series relies on viewers previously reading the GXP novels and the Paradise War novels. There were some improvements on this front, but not enough.

I need to hit the sack, but while I certainly didn't hate the series, I felt it was just underwhelming. And that last episode really felt like EXNOA ran out of money.

I agree with ANB on pretty much everything. There were a couple scenes that were just stills for almost a minute with dialog being spoken by a character literally facing away from the screen. I instantly felt that they must have run out of money.

The entire Tsukiko angle just collapsed in this episode. Same for Masaki, which is really disappointing, since there was so much she could offer. But... considering how she was originally characterized in the novel, I'm not surprised. What was the word they used to describe her knowledge of past events? Low-brow and common?

There was one angle I found interesting. When Dird's grandfather is talking about the old days, what he said was almost word-for-word what happened to Azusa and Funaho on Earth, right down to the mechanical "orochi" shown in the background. And the girl at his knee, even looked vaguely like a young Funaho.

It was interesting to see how aggressive Dird was before becoming settling in.

This series reminds me of french cooking. Throw it all in the pot and boil it. See what floats to the surface.

I will ofc always watch any Tenchi OAV content we get. They can have my money, even if I criticize it to death. Is anyone familiar with the saying "We're hardest on the ones we love?"

I'm ok with all the world building as it will pay off later, assuming we get what we want with a series centered on Tenchi's kids.

World building is great. But the characters in the world need love too. As it was, a lot of things in the series felt like jangling keys without substance. And I admit, I was gushing over some of it, like Masaki's appearance, or Tsunami's voiced cameo.

if i remember right  i think ova5 and this one is like saying goodbye to having tenchi and saina as main chars,  I wouldn't mine a paradise war anime even after the events happened since we dont know the name of the new nation shu now has is called. or we can go with the kids when they are maybe early teen