GXP Novel Re-edits

Started by BobSchlotkin, January 02, 2023, 02:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Howdy all!

I've occasionally looked at my editing job of the GXP Novels and have not been happy with them.
I've redone the first 8 novels. They include re-cropped and re-sized images to bring the overall size of the pdf down. Some of them are 50% smaller.

I'm working on 9-17 (ugh, especially 17!).

Happy New Year!
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

theyve been updated in the cloud link on mysite
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

June 04, 2023, 02:54:34 PM #5 Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 03:00:48 PM by Nonsuch Ned
Okay, writing up a "quick" recap of GXP 15 (easier than 17), but while writing down names of the royalty, something weird came up.
In 15.2, it is said "Ms Karen is the 3rd daughter of the King of the Kasen Kingdom"
...But in chapter 3, it sas the king is Hakuten Mashiro Kasen... and the Crown Prince is Enten... who I thought was king during his long section in Novel 17... but elsewhere in 17, there's this weird picnic (maybe only translated in this newest version) that involves Enten's son, Ichika, and it says that HE is Karen's father.
IF this is true, she's the equal of one of Prince William's kids, when Elizabeth was alive. If all died "in order," and she is Ichika's eldest, then I guess she would naturally be third in line for the throne. Except I think he's one of the guys who got his ass handed to him by Kiriko and Yomotsuookami (yes- through recent repetition- I can remember how to spell that)
But the first translation in 15 would be needed to be fixed.
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on June 04, 2023, 02:54:34 PM
Okay, writing up a "quick" recap of GXP 15 (easier than 17), but while writing down names of the royalty, something weird came up.
In 15.2, it is said "Ms Karen is the 3rd daughter of the King of the Kasen Kingdom"
...But in chapter 3, it sas the king is Hakuten Mashiro Kasen... and the Crown Prince is Enten... who I thought was king during his long section in Novel 17... but elsewhere in 17, there's this weird picnic (maybe only translated in this newest version) that involves Enten's son, Ichika, and it says that HE is Karen's father.
IF this is true, she's the equal of one of Prince William's kids, when Elizabeth was alive. If all died "in order," and she is Ichika's eldest, then I guess she would naturally be third in line for the throne. Except I think he's one of the guys who got his ass handed to him by Kiriko and Yomotsuookami (yes- through recent repetition- I can remember how to spell that)
But the first translation in 15 would be needed to be fixed.

I went back to the source scan of GXP 15 and you are correct. Karen is actually the 3rd daughter of the first Prince of Kasen. I'll get that corrected and sent along to Eff.

Thanks for catching that!

BoB

June 06, 2023, 09:21:58 AM #7 Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 10:15:02 AM by Nonsuch Ned
I don't know the right terminology...
King Hakuten
Crown Prince Enten (swordsmith)
2nd in line Ichika
3rd in line Karen

...Why she got so much detail while (AFAIK) Hakuren and Gyokuren haven't had their royal parents named/explained... I don't know.

I guess he's just setting up the steps to Karen's ascension to the throne. The king is old and would want to abdicate, Enten would rather make his swords and has already voiced his support for Seina, Ichika humiliated himself and wouldn't have support - So, Karen is next, ready to set up the political marriage.
Gyokuren is already "queen."
Hakuren is first princess.
Suiren is kinda tough. 5th in line. At least one prince humiliated himself in the fight, another is apparently the mad scientist that gave her the level 10 enhancement, one is one of those pragmatic princes that meet on Racepshi... I'm not sure if that's enough yet.
...in my pants

What? Another one?

15.9 "Baron Kamui Kashuruna Kasen"
"Karen's face turned sour hearing the name of the person ranked right above her in succession."
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on June 06, 2023, 08:46:02 PM
What? Another one?

15.9 "Baron Kamui Kashuruna Kasen"
"Karen's face turned sour hearing the name of the person ranked right above her in succession."

OK, from the source scans:
Baron Kasuruna says, "This is a special mission of His Excellency Ichika Ensa Kasen! If you are dissatisfied, I will accept a duel. It would be a pleasure to fight the famous Godly Knight Z I N V! Hahahaha!"

At the mention of the name of the candidate for the next head of the family, Karen's expression turned sour as she is unable to interfere.

So it isn't Baron Kasuruna that's above Karen but Ichika.

I need to talk to Eff about how deep to go with this fix.

BoB

Weird way to think of your dad... unless he's not... uncle? brother? ugh.
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on June 07, 2023, 10:32:19 AM
Weird way to think of your dad... unless he's not... uncle? brother? ugh.

The only thing I can come up with is "Royalty". Anything to stay in power, even if that means whacking your brother or kid!

BoB

Hey Nonsuch Ned,

Last night I send EFF GXP 15 v2.1.
Let me know if you find any more craziness.

Thanks!
BoB

Not exactly "bad" but I find "Yomotsu Wolf" to be an awkward translation. I figure it should either stay "Yomotsuookami" or go with Eff's "Charon Wolf" translation, which is a pretty clever take on it.
...in my pants

For fun, https://battle-spirits.fandom.com/wiki/The_YomiRouseBeastEmperor_YomotsuOokami

"[ Complex ]《"Yomo" is the sound change of "Yomi (Yomi)." ``tsu'' is a case particle meaning ``of.'' It is attached above nouns and indicates that the word is related to the underworld  ."

Basically, yomotsu = yomino. I find it interesting that the individual kanji are Yellow Spring. I might spend a bit of time reading up on the entymology of it. Wonder if the color yellow is associated with the underworld. Sounds like something the Japanese might have imported from China.

tl;dr: Great God of the Underworld. So synonymous with Izanami, Hades, Pluto etc.

Ookami can also mean wolf. There was a couple games by that name for the Playstation. They were very good, with an impressive Japanese aesthetic.

I do not agree with any reference to Charon. Charon is the boatman responsible for ferrying souls across the River Acheron. He is not the Lord or wolf of the Underworld. He just collects his fee and poles the boat.

Personally, if I were to take some poetic license with the name, I'd opt for something like Hellhound or Barghest.

Regardless, wtf Washu. Why? Such a horrid name for Fuku and Ryo-ohki's little sister. What's wrong with you?