29 Minutes of Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki Outdid 180 Minutes of Ai Tenchi Muyo!

Started by جبريل 無道, December 07, 2016, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://tenchisgirls.tumblr.com/post/154175772521/5000-tenchi-blu-ray-sales-in-first-5-days

5,000 Tenchi Blu-Ray Sales in First 5 Days

Ryo-okay linked us to an ANN ranking that shows Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki OAV4 Ep1 (ep 20 overall) sold 5,000 copies in it's first five days and reach the top 5 spot for anime!  Not bad for a title whose Japanese fans are largely 30s/40s/50s year old working stiffs by now.

How does this compare to the past efforts?  Hmm.... iirc past Tenchi OAVs (1992′s and 1994′s OAV 1 and 2, I do not have 2003′s OAV3 figures in my head) sold around 20,000-30,000 copies after months and months (or years) being offered, but that was twenty five years ago; a much different, slower time and market without torrenting sites but on the flip side was also based on the more expensive painstaking cell-drawn process for each frame instead of computers.

Comparing it to something more recent, 2014′s Ai Tenchi Muyo! was released in 3 volumes after TV airing finished and by sales figures combined with my guesstimates back then each volume got around 1,430 sales after several months on the market; for around 4300 units combined total for all 3 volumes in the entire series.

Of course, this single Tenchi Muyo episode was only around 29 minutes of animation while Ai Tenchi Muyo was roughly 175 minutes total (some of the cost offset by the city of Okayama subsidizing it).  This leaves them with possibility of airing it on TV in the future and merchandise sales as well.

I think it's done well all considering.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Meanwhile in Kaji's office

:chord:

5k is definitely pretty good.

Not setting the world on fire, but nowhere near dead either.

thanks for the info.  on a related note, my copy should be in the mail in a couple days hopefully

So stoked that this happened!  And yup, OVA 5 is pretty much guaranteed now that only one episode of OVA 4 (Of which there are three still coming) was already able to outsell Ai as a whole.  Keep in mind, Kajishima said there was enough material for OVA 5, so the biggest factor was of course going to be sales.  OVA 4 episode 1 already proved that those sales are coming in numbers, and we're only one quarter there.  Get ready, because as far as OVA 5 goes...

:Hap:
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

Good to hear.

I hope this increases the chances of it getting dubbed.

I am really hoping they expand OVA 4 to 5-6 episodes. I would say thats pretty likely considering what has happened in the past.

You guys think OVA 5 would be the if series or would that be a seperate series? 

I must be one of the few people who actually enjoyed Ai Tenchi, course mostly due to the ending of the series.

I'm glad it's breaking records and only being the first episode YAY!

Guy said he'd make a 5 ova if it did good in the numbers right? Course I'd be fine with ova extending episodes too than throw in ova 5 after.

I just want to see the Tenchi series conclude properly. The series ending with him having multiple kids with each girl of his harem and living on planet Juri like what was said would be a great conclusion.

Quote from: Tenchifan30 on December 11, 2016, 11:41:46 AMI must be one of the few people who actually enjoyed Ai Tenchi, course mostly due to the ending of the series.

I liked Momo and Hachiko a lot.  Hana quite a bit too.  But I think they could have done much more with everything.  For instance, Yuki and Rui were just Washu and Mihoshi all over again imo.

What did you like about the ending specifically?

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on December 11, 2016, 11:55:53 AM
Quote from: Tenchifan30 on December 11, 2016, 11:41:46 AMI must be one of the few people who actually enjoyed Ai Tenchi, course mostly due to the ending of the series.

I liked Momo and Hachiko a lot.  Hana quite a bit too.  But I think they could have done much more with everything.  For instance, Yuki and Rui were just Washu and Mihoshi all over again imo.

What did you like about the ending specifically?

I loved him going back through different times to save Momo, plush Washu going nuts on us and being caught by the person she least suspected to LOL.

Ryoko being involved trying every thing in her best to help Tenchi in the final too.

The newbie characters, the only one I liked was Momo, darn shame what happened to her.

Quote from: Tenchifan30 on December 11, 2016, 12:31:33 PMI loved him going back through different times to save Momo, plush Washu going nuts on us and being caught by the person she least suspected to LOL.

Ryoko being involved trying every thing in her best to help Tenchi in the final too.

The newbie characters, the only one I liked was Momo, darn shame what happened to her.

Tenchi/Momo love represent! :D