Why wasn't Kiyone added into the later OVAs?

Started by Tenchifan30, December 12, 2016, 10:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
She was in both Tenchi Universe and Tokyo, what's up with her being replaced?

December 12, 2016, 12:21:22 PM #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:04:49 PM by جبريل 無道
Kiyone Makibi originated from the Hasegawa Novels actually, which was written after OAV1 and concurrently with OAV2 and later.  Naoko Hasegawa was the dialogue writer for OAV1 and guest wrote some TU episodes.  For example, Daughter of Darkness (Manatsu no Eve) is adapted from this book series, iirc something like book 10 of 12.

OAV1 director Hiroki Hayashi drew Kiyone Makibi for the first time for Hasegawa (as a favor) but Masaki Kajishima (MK) drew her subsequently for the Hasegawa's first book (also as a favor) and was the first to give her her bandana and GXP uniform.

Kiyone was first animated in the Mihoshi Special (Hayashi's second and last purely Tenchi project) which is a standalone episode (it's own continuity) and was practically a test pilot for how well TU (TV show) and Pretty Sammy could do.

MK has always followed his own original continuity, having started it in doujins (circa 1987) before the first Tenchi anime was even released (1992), and was acknowledged as the Tenchi world creator by Hasegawa in her first book.  She didn't even know Washu was supposed to be one of 3 goddesses until partway through her first book.  He doesn't take elements from later alternate universes no matter how popular they are, it would be like him adopting Nagi from TU, Yume from the Manga, Achika from TMiL, or Momo from Ai Tenchi.  I don't think it's him being mean, they just don't fit in his pre-existing framework - he'd have to shuffle things around to accommodate people who are, after all, building off from his original work and not the other way around.

He also published the character of Noike in at least 1993, if not having her in mind earlier.  Just like Minaho was published back then already but only appeared in OAV3/GXP iirc and as a major character now.  He's mentally like 30 steps ahead of the anime itself which has it's upsides and downsides.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on December 12, 2016, 12:21:22 PM
Kiyone originated from the Hasegawa Novels actually, which was written after OAV1 and concurrently with OAV2 and later.  Naoko Hasegawa was the dialogue writer for OAV1 and guest wrote some TU episodes.  For example, Daughter of Darkness (Manatsu no Eve) is adapted from this book series, iirc something like book 10 of 12.

OAV1 director Hiroki Hayashi drew her for the first time for Hasegawa but Masaki Kajishima (MK) drew her subsequently for the Hasegawa's first book and was the first to give her her bandana and GXP uniform.

Kiyone was first animated in the Mihoshi Special (Hayashi's second and last purely Tenchi project) which is a standalone episode (it's own continuity) and was a test pilot for how well TU (TV show) and Pretty Sammy could do.

MK has always followed his own continuity and was acknowledged as the Tenchi world creator by Hasegawa in her first book.  She didn't even know Washu was supposed to be one of 3 goddesses until partway through her first book.  He doesn't take elements from later alternate universes no matter how popular they are, it would be like him adopting Nagi from TU, Yume from the Manga, Achika from TMiL, or Momo from Ai Tenchi.  I don't think it's him being mean, they just don't fit in his framework.

He also published the character of Noike in at least 1993, if not having her in mind earlier.  Just like Minaho was published back then already but only appeared in OAV3/GXP iirc and as a major character now.  He's mentally like 30 steps ahead of the anime itself which has it's upsides and downsides.
yeah what were seeing now with ova 4 has probably been conceptualised and outlined since 1993.
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Doujinshi from 1987? Can you elaborate on that? Do we have those? I had no idea! I HAVE no idea! I want to know more about this!!!

Quote from: Y_Anthony_Who on December 12, 2016, 10:17:17 PM
Doujinshi from 1987? Can you elaborate on that? Do we have those? I had no idea! I HAVE no idea! I want to know more about this!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Sorry...this image doesn't tell me anything. ;_;

Quote from: Y_Anthony_Who on December 13, 2016, 07:04:54 PM

Sorry...this image doesn't tell me anything. ;_;

Before starting his own doujinshi 'circle' Kajishima released individual pieces in the pages of other circles like Genso Sonoda-ya [Kenichi Sonoda's circle (Gal Force, Gunsmith Cats), whom likely discovered and hired Kajishima at Artmic]. The first of which was released in 1992. But before that, Kajishima's first doujinshi was a self published doujin released in 1987 under the name that'd eventually become the name of his own circle, Kajishima Onsen. There's something like 250copies of it known to exist, the original copy was destroyed and I've seen it listed on Yahoo Auction for around 700USD. Fuck that. BTW Kajishima included a digital copy of a copy on the Kamidake Onsen CDROM.

Aahh I asked this cuz I miss her, she was one of my favorite characters when Universe was going.

Think shey'll ever appear again?

Quote from: Tenchifan30 on December 14, 2016, 04:36:18 AM
Aahh I asked this cuz I miss her, she was one of my favorite characters when Universe was going.

Think shey'll ever appear again?

Kiyone is awesome!   :pcgamer: :pcgamer: :pcgamer:

She'll never appear in the OAVs (Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki) though.

I have no clue why she didn't appear in Ai Tenchi Muyo, since the director of that also made Tenchi Universe and Tenchi Muyo In Love movies with her in it :neg:

I guess we can always hope for another Pretty Sammy spinoff with her in it?
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on December 14, 2016, 10:43:19 AM

I have no clue why she didn't appear in Ai Tenchi Muyo, since the director of that also made Tenchi Universe and Tenchi Muyo In Love movies with her in it :neg:

I suspect there are copyright issues at stake here. This Kiyone is a creation of Hasegawa-sensei. So she may have exclusive rights to the character. Or there may be other copyright issues concerning Pioneer. AIC may have been able to use the character for the time when they were partnered with Pioneer (later Geneon). But when that partnership dissolved, AIC may not have the rights to use the character any more.

On a similar note, I once heard a rumor (unverified, so take it for what it is -- a rumor) that the reason OVA 3 doesn't use the old Tenchi music from OVA 1 and 2 is because AIC no longer had the rights to use the music.

Copyright issues can get quite messy, especially in partnerships breaking up, company's going into bankruptcy, etc. Stuff can get tied up in courts for year and years and years.