Ai Tenchi Muyo Review thread.

Started by Dr.Soviet, December 25, 2014, 08:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll prolly give my own personal advice in the future as to what I think about this show, However I would like to hear what the rest of you thought about this.

On the Japanese side of things I'm tending to see:

1. Didn't like as a Tenchi show but thought it was ok by its self
2. Didn't like overall

Actually haven't seen anyone rave over it, When sales pre order/sales numbers come out I'll post it.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on December 25, 2014, 08:01:10 PMHowever I would like to hear what the rest of you thought about this.

On the Japanese side of things I'm tending to see:

1. Didn't like as a Tenchi show but thought it was ok by its self
2. Didn't like overall

Considering it to be a TM! spinoff of sorts, I couldn't find any quality of permanence, since obviously this show by design, with minor resemblances, diverges from the original. It doesn't inspire much of fan activity from what I've seen. At best, it's to be watched to satisfy curiosity and for humour, perhaps from some boredom out of the ordinary.

For what other reason would I've watched these episodes other than that it's under the title "Tenchi Muyo"? 愛・天地無用!, if by any other name, I would've not wanted to watch at all. The show, by itself, doesn't make any sense due to its uninteresting story, in part relying on TM! By its entire length, it also lacks time to convey a compelling plot, if any.

Overall, in my view, it's just a phase, neither liking nor disliking the show. The show's nought but something to be looked at with a few blinks of the eyes and a long sigh at least. 
⚆_⚆

I don't think that horrible and the worst thing ever but that not very good too.

Here my thought:

-Out of the girls, I like four (Momo, Hachiko, Rui and Yuki).

-My favorite part is the president election and seriously I wanted Yuki win because she is more likable than the two girls who are with Moko and Hachiko.

-I would never forgive the show for making Ryoko punching Tenchi and worst not showing Aeka boobs.  :sotw:

-Why the hell Mihoshi has a playboy custom?

-The show past too much times on filler and when the big story arrive that needed one or two more weeks.

-Beni is suppose to be the main girl with Momo but that like Yuki and Rui have make more appearance than her. I am not even sure if Beni is in half of the episodes.

-I don't think I understand Momo's backstory but I don't care anyway.

-I ship Yuki x Rui.  :heysexy:

-WHERE THE HELL WAS THE PROMOTION TOURISM IN THAT MESS? That probably the part that annoying me the most because the show fail in what it was supposed to do. I learn nothing about where Tenchi lives. I wanted Tenchi and the girls visit several place and show me new things on Japan. Heck, they could had do something like Tenchi and his class doing a field trip Do it has advertise about tourism that airing before the show and I just don't know because that the only explanation I can think of. 

The series had follow the course of the first series Ryo-Ohki as well as Universe.  The series started out with some humor during the first episode. By the end, the series became more serious. There are still a few flaws with the series.

If the Producers wanted to do an anime series, they do need to focus more  on the link between the Feudal Japan timeline and the present timeline.   We had found out that Momo was one of Tenchi's ancestors. If AI had taken place in the Ryo-Ohki Universe, Momo would have arrived long before Yosho's arrival on Earth.  The Masaki Family is Japan's oldest  family as I know of.  In AI, Momo had arrived on Earth next to the Masaki Family Shrine and Estate.

The Masaki Shrine in AI is located in the northern part of Takahashi City near the Hokoku station along the Habuki Line.  It is likely that the Masaki Shrine in Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo are located near the Hokoku station.  For Ryo-Ohki since it is based in the nineties, the Shrine is located closer to Takahashi Town. 

The series was worth watching. It did have a lot of flaws with it.  If there is going to be an  anime version,  AI needs a lot more work.   One important improvement is the need to focus more on the  link between the Feudal Japan timeline and the Present timeline.

:shygirl: :really: :shyboy: :merchant: :ass:

This series makes GXP look like an epic. Even with the idiotic 4 minute format, they still had the potential to take the plot *somewhere* in the territory of relevance but what did they use 60 episodes worth of potential for? Nonsensical gags and a plot that went nowhere, I'd give this series a 5/10 and I'm being generous there.

If you pointed a gun at my face and asked me to describe in one word my entire thoughts on Ai Tenchi Muyo! it would be this:

Pointless

I'll get the obvious out of the way and say I learned jack shit about the setting. This was billed to promote tourism so it felt like I was taken on a ride in a round-a-bout in the middle of London. It felt like it was going in circles and I frequently felt myself getting bored but pushing forward out of sheer curiosity and fear of causing an accident.

I am hard pressed to mention even one scene that I felt was memorable or worth saying "Wow, that was amazing!" to. The series got off to a pretty slow start and was in neutral for most of the time until maybe two or three weeks ago when the actual plot of the series started to even make any sense. But by then it was too late for Ai Tenchi. Tenchi will most likely remain a relic of the past and from what I'm seeing (lack of new artwork and merchandise mostly) it will remain that way.

While I didn't loathe the character designs for the most part, some of them just felt overly sexual and flat out stupid. It was a fairly colorful series, but you can paint a Honda to look like a sports car. Unless you actually put something under the hood, you're going to get left behind.

So that's my ultimate final say of the show. I cannot in good faith recommend this to anyone, unless I want them to be as bored as I was. It's a bittersweet goodbye as I did indeed get to see a new adventure, but Ai Tenchi represents a "What could have been?" scenario for me if the resources were spent more wisely than they were.

And that will always bee the worst part for me.  :frustrated: :conan:
This is not a sig, it's a Sandwich.

Ryokos Stepdad summed up my feelings exactly as far as the series goes quality wise and the whole thing of it being a tourist promotion - I too thought that this series was completely pointless and nothing notable was actually put on the table as far as the setting goes.  And Spud is also right... GXP and even Shin Tenchi were better than this mess.

Furthermore, I want to remind everyone of the fact that AIC advertised this as an anniversary season.  In the past five years or so, other animes and live action works (Super Sentai / Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, etc) have had major anniversary seasons and all of them had at least some effort put into them... but that wasn't the case here and that's just plain sad that such a thing as a super terribad anniversary season exists now.

Therefore, I can say that this series was not only pointless, but also a possibly successful attempt at a public decimation of the franchise.  I hope that Kajishima doesn't just burn his bridges with AIC in response to this - he should definitely napalm that sucker and find another studio to work with for his next anime, if not for himself but for the fans.  No one deserved for it to end this way.  No one.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

Agreed. I wish that another studio would take over and revitalise the franchise together with Mister Kajishima.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki