Useless Translations

Started by Auir, February 18, 2013, 08:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 18, 2013, 08:46:24 PM Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:12:31 PM by Auir
This is just me being excited here but since we have a person who some knowledge of Japanese, a person with an extremely basic knowledge of Japanese, and the whole wide web with all its technology...
Let's start a scanlation group. Our goal, translate all the Tenchi content!

Just post what position(s) you'd like!
Here are the list of positions. (Taken from Baka Updates)

*Scanner - The person who has access to raw manga and to able to transfer it on to computer format if it not already

General Requirement: Has access to raw manga and able to scan it on to the computer

*RAW provider – A person who obtain raw manga (often scan) through any methods they can uses to get it, usually by searching online or some other ways. This job is different from Scanner for they don't scan the raw manga, they could but don't.

General Requirement: Has access to raw manga and to be able to provide it to the public (usually to a scanlation groups)

*Translator -The person who translates the raw manga from foreign language into the language they want it to be (example: Japanese into English)

General Requirement: Able to read the language of the raw manga and translate it into the language of choice

*Editor - The editor jobs may varies from groups to groups but most commonly their job is to clean the raw manga and type in the translation. (Please refer to Cleaner and Typesetter for more information)

General Requirement:Has access to Photoshop or similar program (preferable they must have some experience with the Photoshop when applying for this position)

Cleaner - This job only shows up in certain scanlation group but commonly to be considers part of the Editor job if not separate into two different jobs. Their job is to clean the raw from whatever Quality it is into the quality the group wants. Also their job is to clean the bubble with foreign language into blank so the Typesetter (if there is one) can type the translation in.

General Requirement: Same requirement as the editor job

Typesetter -This job only shows up in certain scanlation group but commonly to be considers part of the Editor job if not separate into two different jobs.Their jobs is type the translate language into the blank bubble of the manga.

General Requirement: Same requirement as the editor job

Proofreader - This job only show up in certain scanlation group.Their job is to proofread if the translated language (English) run smoothly or if it make sense

General Requirement: Know and understand the translated language (English) and its grammar rules (must have a Photoshop or some other program to find any errors)

Quality Checker - This job only show up in certain scanlation group. Their job is to find and fix any mistakes or spelling errors made by the Editor (Cleaner and Typesetter) and the Proofreader. This job can also be consider call (by me) Editor of an editor.

General Requirement: Same general requirement as the Editor and Proofreader, expect they fix any slip-up left by the editor and proofreader.
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

I can see what I can do translation wise, but honestly in order to get anything done I would probably need to be able to rip the text out of stuff so I can use some tools to double check things. There is a project I am currently working on, kinda (still seeing if it's workable before I mention anything) but being able to say, post text into a webpage so I can use Rikai for any Kanji I don't know, (and in the thing I'm trying.)

Also, I might suggest that we keep any and all translations on the down-low as AIC has jumped on stuff in the past and sites have been shut down with a quickness.

No promises, but for example if someone can get me an editable text version of some of those kajishima afterwords from his doujins, I might be able to swing something.

Jibiril mentioned using ABBYY FineReader. It supports Japanese texts so we'll try it out.

I can be the official Kerfluffle.

Moo.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Here are OCR scripts for most of the doujins, using ABBYY Finereader. Just do not assume them accurate or even complete, as the a lot of the older doujins are scanned in resolutions too low for OCR software to accurately recognize and Kajishima uses some funky cursive font that OCR does not recognize.

http://depositfiles.com/files/pcp1bq7mf

IF you guys get serious enough to need additional raws, outside of my already 600dpi scanned releases, keep in mind that I do not mind rescanning most of my doujins. Anything with a glued seem is off limits thou. As it stands, you've already got 600dpi scans of 21st Century, Seikishi Ban 11.08, 11.12, 12.08 & Tenchi Ban 12.12. So I don't think I'll be scanning anything for a while. :parrot:

BTW I believe the font I used for Omake Ban was "Dom Casual" or "Franciscan". And with GXP Ban #17's afterword, that was likely "Wild Words".

Is there a free ABBY I was trying to rip 12.12?

Pirate.
But as a last case scenario, I could always transcribe the thing and type it out.

Hmmm... So we have a raw provider (But let's get things done first before going for higher quality scans)...
Three translators
And a- Kerfluffle... What's a Kerfluffle? >.>
'A disturbance'
Right.... Mascot then.
We're missing one more critical part before we can start. We need an editor. Anyone good at photoshopping?

I don't want to be the debbie-downer, but I just want you guys to be full aware of what you're getting yourself in to. Doing some of the doujins is one thing, but if you're talking about "Everything", then tackling the novels is a whole different beast all together. It's going to be very time consuming and require a lot of editing and re-checking. It's so big this project would literally cost hundreds of dollars if we tried to get this stuff paid...

So while I won't say "May god have mercy on your souls", I will say good luck.  :staredog:

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 19, 2013, 09:15:43 PM
I don't want to be the debbie-downer, but I just want you guys to be full aware of what you're getting yourself in to. Doing some of the doujins is one thing, but if you're talking about "Everything", then tackling the novels is a whole different beast all together. It's going to be very time consuming and require a lot of editing and re-checking. It's so big this project would literally cost hundreds of dollars if we tried to get this stuff paid...

So while I won't say "May god have mercy on your souls", I will say good luck.  :staredog:
Which will probably hit me in a few days because I'm still running off of excitement right now so it's fine. :D

February 19, 2013, 10:36:23 PM #10 Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:50:41 PM by Auir
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q07wJpm9Bjv7WywSjhyGYWF71tFUdP1ePN1b_tr6qZY/edit
This will show the current progress of transcription/translation/edit-fication of our projects.
Current: (C83) [Kajishima Onsen (Kajishima Masaki)] Omatsuri Zenjitsu no Yoru Tenchi Ban 12.12 (Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki)

Paying for the novels would likely cost a lot more than that. And there is the AIC smackdown as well.

As for the Doujins, that's not too awful all things considered, just brushing up on my grammar and remembering that Japanese is a language created to make my brain explode. Or some such. Heh. Still, it's coming back to me. Friggen particle variations.

For anyone that cares 12.12 is OCRed and added to the doc. Will work on the rest when I have time.

"Ha, ha, ha, I'm a pain in the ass aren't I?" - Masaki Kajishima

-Tenchi Fanbase

Hundreds?  Try thousands.  I'd say $1,000 per novel minimum.  Likely much more unless you find someone working for much less than they could be.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.