Best of the 2010s

Started by Ryo-Okay, January 17, 2020, 10:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I won't lie, this is just me looking for recommendations. What were some of your favorite anime, manga, light novels, anything else you think is worth mentioning of 2010-2019.

Anime:
Barakamon
D-frag!
The World God Only Knows (It's a shame how awful the final manga arc was.)
Ben-To
Witch Craft Works
Invaders of the Rokujouma!?
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?

Manga:
Renai Boukun
Maga-Tsuki

Light Novels:
Invaders of the Rokujouma!? (Technically it started in 2009, but 30 of its 33 volumes were published in the 2010s.)

January 30, 2020, 09:29:56 PM #1 Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:23:25 PM by WaitoKon
Anime

Hyouka
KonoSuba
DanMachi
Re: Zero
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari

Manga
Inside Mari
Happiness
Platinum End
Shinji Ikari Raising Project (licensed overseas releases)

Light Novels
True Tenchi  :discoursechef:

Anime

Mob Psycho
Rising of the Shield Hero
Food Wars
Cat Shit One
WiseMan's Grandson
War on Geminar
Tenchi OVA 4

Manga
Food Wars
Wiseman's Grandson

I haven't watched much anime in recent years, but I like the following manga, anime, and cartoons that have come out in the last 10 years:

Bleach
Dragon Ball Super
The Dragon Prince
DuckTales
Fist of the Blue Sky
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gravity Falls
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Kongou Banchou
The Legend of Korra
The Looney Tunes show
Magi - Labyrinth of Magic
My Hero Academia
Nanatsu No Taizai
Naruto
One Piece
One Punch Man
The Penguins of Madagascar
Phineas and Ferb
Tenchi Muyo!
Toriko
Yotsuba&!
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Quote from: WaitoKon on January 30, 2020, 09:29:56 PM
Manga
Inside Mari[...]

ಠ_ಠ

I mean, yeah, but...
I thought I was the only one messed up enough to like that manga...

Well I started reading it after the Wiki for Japan's #1 anime film "Your Name" talked of the manga as inspiration. I mean, Shinkai pretty much ripped the entire opening act of Inside Mari into a film format.

Your Name is very pretty but the plot is shit. They are doing a new movie and I am sure it will be more of the same

If you mean Weathering With You, yeah there is consensus that it is just a clone or sequel in tone and to some extent plot twists. This makes me wonder why they didn't just make a Your Name 2.

All Shinkai films are clones, anyway.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Well Shinkai is on the right track. They did pay Schwarzenegger an absolutely staggering amount of money to make The 6th Day, no doubt repeat success to the point where you just clone your work or even yourself is good business.  :sus:

I wasn't really paying attention to a bunch of anime between 2010 and 2014 (The latter of which was a bad year for my personal life anyway... both Ai Tenchi Muyo! AND Power Rangers Super MegaFARCE airing that year CERTAINLY didn't help matters) as much as I did between 2015 and 2019, but I've still got some I wanted to mention. Out of what I watched during this timeframe, I enjoyed these. I'll also note the year that each one aired in.

And no, I'm not going to mention Tenchi or its spinoffs. That's because they go without saying. The name on this forum's marquee IS Useless Tenchi, after all. :)

•Digimon Xros Wars, 2010 to 2012: Don't let the idea of Digixrossing being used instead of Digivolution (At least at first; traditional Digivolving begins happening regularly right before the Death Generals arc begins) fool you; Xros Wars has THE best action sequences in the entire Digimon anime. The first arc and the Death Generals arc form a decent story, and Taiki (The "goggleboy" of the season) stands out for being so strategically sound. But stay away from Young Hunters. Yes, Gumdramon and his forms are awesome... but the story is basically nothing but mindless filler until the big final battle (Which is a teamup with the main protagonists of the previous anime seasons; mostly the "goggleboys" but also a few others), and even that ends up being lackluster BECAUSE of how much filler you have to sit through to get to it compared to how long the final battle lasts.

•THE iDOLM@STER, 2011: One word; FUN. On top of that, they managed to give everyone an even amount of screentime and character development... which is pretty remarkable when the show basically has 13 main protagonists (15 if you count Kotori and the "broducer", which you should be) AND 25 episodes total to work with. Sometimes I ask myself; "how did they pull it off!?". I haven't watched the movie yet, so I can't comment on that.

•High School DxD, 2012 to 2018: If you like harem anime and action anime, you'll LOVE DxD. Plenty of both genres to go around. Oh... word of advice. In terms of DxD BorN (Season 3), only watch up to episode 8. DxD HERO (Season 4) episode 0 (Yes, there's actually an episode ZERO; they had to do canon based damage control) is what REALLY happens after episode 8, because from episode 9 onward, BorN goes completely off canon and the results are... well, trust me. Once BorN goes off canon, the rest of it is just plain BAD.

•PUCHiM@S!! PETiT iDOLM@STER, 2013 to 2014: 14 of the 15 main protags from iM@S return for this one (The producer is a different character in this one; a straight up goofball with the letter "P" as his head; I kid you not), along with the Puchidols (Basically Mini Mes of the idols and Kotori). Much wackier than the main series, and just as much fun.

•Kantai Collection, 2015: A good balance of fun and action sequences, a fun concept (The same concept was used for Azur Lane), and the fact that every kind of anime fan will find at least one character they'll really like here (And possibly a potential new waifu). It should be noted that the upcoming season 2 will feature a completely different story and mostly different characters, and thus won't require you to watch season 1 first. Like with THE iDOLM@STER, I haven't seen the movie (Which is a finale to season 1) yet, so I can't comment on it.

•Dragon Ball Super, 2015 to 2018: Needs no introduction. Definitely recommended.

•My Hero Academia, 2016 to, well... it's still running: Same thing I said about Dragon Ball Super, but I'll say it again. Needs no introduction. Definitely recommended.

•Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, 2016 to 2017: Appli Monsters has a likable cast of protagonists and a good story; a bit confusing in certain aspects at first, but everything gets explained by the end. Absolutely underrated... and sadly, the reason for that is because it aired while Digimon Adventure tri. (BLECH!) was running, which means the nostalgia goggles crowd was out in full force and throwing shade on Appmon (Shade which it didn't deserve IMO, especially given that Appmon was actually pretty good while tri. was really bad).

•Megalobox, 2018: Tied with SSSS GRIDMAN as my anime of the year for 2018. It looks like a late 1990s / early 2000s anime and it's awesome, especially if you're a fan of Hajime no Ippo and the like.

•SSSS GRIDMAN, 2018: Tied with Megalobox as my anime of the year for 2018. Whether you've watched Denkou Choujin Gridman, its American adaptation Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, or even both, you'll find references to them. There's a sequel / spinoff incoming soon (SSSS DYNAZENON), which I am REALLY looking forward to.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could mention a few more if I wanted to, but those are the ones I had to mention right out the gate. I'll probably be back to mention more at another time.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

Did a countdown in three parts for the ANN forum and my Facebook notes (Tenchi can be annoying to bring up at ANN- too many disillusioned fans, so Geminar ended up in the "Screw you- I love it" section)

1. Cross Game
Simply a masterpiece. I watch all 52 episodes (except maybe the big one about the spoiled actress/manager girl) almost every year. I love the sympathetic characters, the heart of it, the humor and the nostalgic feels of baseball sportsmanship.
2. Nichijou / My Ordinary Life
I do not agree with the common claim that you can't rewatch a comedy much. Just thinking about the standout segments of this show crack me up and watching actually brings some feels.
3. March Comes in Like a Lion
i have a serious weakness for coming of age stories and this is a killer one. So much pain with growing up, so much importance put on empathy and caring for weakness. The we have cuteness and wonderful humor. It hits so many boxes.
4. Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You)
again, A sweet coming of age and sweet romance...if maybe a bit rosy. And those super deformed segments.
5. Bakemonogatari/ Monogatari series
SHAFT! Shinbo! Nisioisin, the cuts, the symbolism and depth! There's mention in the podcast of how a show stands out because it grabs you and that's what happened here... probably why this list is top heavy, because so much later stuff relies so much on earlier stuff. Also... a bit ashamed to say I like so much of the kinks in the series, especially in the first series.
6.Working
This is like a perfect mix of western sitcoms and anime teen tropes. I also love me my vulnerable strong girls, and this show features our girl who is such an embodiment of it that it is a joke... but a good joke... Inami, that's my moe.
7. Silver Spoon
Again, coming of age, excellent fish-out-of-water humor, some romance pinning, and another strange weakness of mine. Out-of-your element agricultural themes. This is the best but Moyashimon, No-Rin, and the old masterpiece movie Only Yesterday also check this box.
8. Seitokai Yakuindomo
The ULTIMATE sex-comedy, the perfect example of it, and what makes it so perfect is the the raunchy girls and straight-men characters are still so likable and even lovable (well, maybe not teacher and robo-girl so much- yet) AND that it almost completely ignores blatant fan service. The ecchi is implied and verbal joking. Many times it doesn't even have to be echii to be funny. One of my top five sequences is the bit about Tsuda's short story. Georgie!
10. Space Brothers
I'm glad I got through the podcast to hear a mention of this- for some  reason, I forgot to include it. Such a geek fest- it has things to  complain about but it's a love letter and Mutta is the strangest most  lovable main character.

Other 11 (originally supposed to end with 20)

11. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Simply no bad jokes
11. The Great Passage
That one just spoke to the word geek in me and revealed just how  second-rate an English word geek is. And so adult in the relationships  in ways other "adult relationships" in anime simply are not. The main  characters simply fall into their relationship in a way people do,  WITHOUT an exceptional passion.
11. Chihayafuru
Yeah, the ultimate sports story about a card game. Love it (oddly my  next choice for sports story is the mostly forgotten Baby Steps- give  me more Baby Steps!) 
11. Hanamaru Kindergarten
Soooo cute! And sweet, and it takes this situation that makes you think  will be disgusting and says... she's a little girl who "loves" an adult-  duH, that's not pervy- it's cute- ALL these girls are adorable. and  those EDs are legendary.
15. Non Non Biyori
Had to separate these simply to say- no, Hanamaru Yochien is cuter.  Oddly, I just realized this is the first straightforward do-nothing  slice of life show in the list... unless you count Nichijou... but that is  pure comedy, this is wonderfully funny but the true charm is the  everyday. Slice-of-life is my comfort food. 
15. Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
Similar to stuff above. sweet, feels, young angst, great comedy. KyoAni stuff
15. Barakamon
yep, cute, comedy, fish-out-of-water stuff. Feel-good.
15. Polar Bear's Cafe
Holy Crap levels of cute! And so weird! So priceless. Watch it!

....screw you, guys! I love these!

19. Mysterious Girlfriend X
I really feel like this is the essence of the awkwardness (and  grossness) of teen romance. I have weird pet peeves including some  associated with liquids, but I have NO problem with with the drool. the  way it works here works perfectly for me.
20. Tenchi Muyo- War on Geminar / Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
I should put it higher. I am such a Kajishima Tenchi fan and this is the  essence of his stuff- at length he actually meant it to be (no CUT  episode orders!) with an ending that fits. And Kenchi is both a power  fantasy AND a dweeb AND lovable. Here was a show with Isekai in the  title that opened the decade that destroys the trendy ones. Probably the  only thing that dropped it down was that I haven't thought about it  lately... and talking to all you haters lately had me decide it had to  be in this section.
21. Asobi ni Ikuyo >>> "Bombshells from the Sky" >>>>>> "Cat Planet Cuties"
To tell the truth- you guys that insist on using the "Japanese" name  instead of the English title bother the ever-loving-**** out of me. But  this one... Ugh. First the Crunchyroll tilte, then the release one...  This show may be ecchi but is nowhere the trash those new tiles imply.  My understanding of the Japanese title, roughly "We Come to Play" is  actually so much more appropriate and actually witty in a sense that  works with an English phrase. These aliens do not only "Come in peace'  they come to play. Somehow they have found the essence of a peaceful  life and it is a playful one. There are so many deceptively smart ideas  in the series!... and damn are the girls hot. (^_^)

... come to think of it, this is the version from my FB- I edited in K-ON to the middle of the top half, and removed Chunibyo as my representative Kyoani.
...in my pants

October 22, 2020, 07:23:35 AM #12 Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:30:13 AM by WarOmnimon
Before more recommendations, gotta respond to Ned. I'm going to quote you twice and point out a few on the list at a time in relates to my reactions to them. :)
Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on October 02, 2020, 08:38:20 PM
2. Nichijou / My Ordinary Life
15. Non Non Biyori
15. Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
^ I already plan on checking these out, and in fact am partway through both Nichijou and Love, Chunbiyo, & Other Delusions...
1. Cross Game
8. Seitokai Yakuindomo
11. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
11. Chihayafuru
15. Polar Bear's Cafe
21. Asobi ni Ikuyo >>> "Bombshells from the Sky" >>>>>> "Cat Planet Cuties"
^ ...and now I plan on checking these out, too.
Slice-of-life is my comfort food.
Mine, too! Preach! (Also, +1 to your Useless Points!)

Alright, time for more recommendations. The first one, I finished watching a couple of months ago. The second and third ones, I'm surprised I didn't recommend in my first batch.

•THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls, 2015: Similar setup to the original anime and set in the same universe, but focusing on a different talent agency and thus featuring a completely different cast. This time there are 14 main protagonists (16 if you count the Producer and Chihiro), though the plot is mostly focused on the main trio of Uzuki, Rin (Best girl; it's the reason why she's my profile pic right now), and Mio. The second half of the series also centers on a corporate meddling based storyline and its effects on the idols, which didn't come up in the original (The second half of the first iM@S anime centered on a rivalry with another talent agency with a rather heinous businessman in charge and, you guessed it, its effects on the idols). Also, Kirari carrying Anzu around is one of the cutest running gags ever and you can't tell me otherwise.

•Cells at Work!, 2018: Pretty much the quintessential educational anime IMO. Slice of life stuff, action stuff, fun characterization (Red Blood Cell is one of the funnest main protags in anything I've seen in recent years; seeing how well her character development was handled was a treat), and you learn about how the human body works and how it responds to various things. Season 2 and Code Black are both incoming in January (Yes, two iterations of Cells at Work! airing at the same time!). Just keep in mind that Code Black touches upon more serious stuff such as drug use and so forth, so it'll be more mature than the original.

•Senki Zesshou Symphogear, 2011 to 2019: I'm gonna keep this recommendation short and to the point. Magical girl anime involving power suits, the heroines singing while beating the everloving stuffing out of their foes, great characters, epic soundtrack, consistent plot and character development... just go check this out if you haven't yet! What are you waiting for?! (Also, Tsubasa is best girl.)
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

4. Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You)
again, A sweet coming of age and sweet romance...if maybe a bit rosy. And those super deformed segments.
SHAFT! Shinbo! Nisioisin, the cuts, the symbolism and depth! There's mention in the podcast of how a show stands out because it grabs you and that's what happened here... probably why this list is top heavy, because so much later stuff relies so much on earlier stuff. Also... a bit ashamed to say I like so much of the kinks in the series, especially in the first series.

Have you seen Ao Haru Ride and Nisekoi? Haru Ride handles a Kimi ni Todoke romance but at a much faster, rather hilarious pace. As for Nisekoi (False Love), like the Monogatari shows, it involved Kubota from SHAFT and some of the most hardcore 24 frames per second in-between character emotions I've ever seen. Plus its a harem with the only premise is one of the lucky ladies has the key that opens his uh, locket heirloom device? I guess a reverse Princess Bride scenario...no wait I'm thinking of the Mel Brooks film with the same dashing lead, Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

October 26, 2020, 04:02:45 PM #14 Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:07:41 PM by Nonsuch Ned
I got tired of the idol anime stuff eventually. I like the first Idolmaster and Love Live was mostly fun. If made to watch more, I'm sure I wouldn't hate. I think the last I gave a chance to was Wake Up Girls, but I didn't really like the girls much.... but your description intrigues me. Maybe it's time for a little more Idol magic.

Need to finish Cells at Work eventually. Not really sure why I stopped watching it.

I think I've seen all of Nisekoi available, I quite liked it, but the chatter around the manga chapters after the adapted stuff makes me hesitant

I liked Ao Haru Ride, but it doesn't have the sense of humor Kimi Ni Todoke has (although if you continue with the KnT manga... there's something to be said for speeding things up- that really dragged on a bit longer than it should).
KnT the anime does a familiar thing for romance anime. It adapts the first half- which is usually all about the girl slowly falling for the boy, who helps her open up and better herself.  And throughout this first half the boy hints that he has a dark side that should be explored. But the anime never goes there, it stops with the girl.
Skip Beat, Maid Sama, My Little Monster, and the early one with such promise that ends in a train wreck- Kare Kano. They all do it to some extent. Give you the actualization of the girl, and usually some love confession. Then it stops.
I own the Kare Kano manga, and it delivers on the boys dark side story- maybe too much, but I enjoy it (and am maybe a bit of an apologist about the most controversial part--- as she says "I never said 'No'")... Yukino is probably my favorite anime/Manga girl though. the ultimate vulnerable badass.

But Kimi Ni Todoke... I like how it resolves- but it never really delivers on his supposed darkness- he doesn't have one, he really is as nice as he seems... just a bit of a whiner.

...also, just looked at some above lists and thought "where's my action?" --- well, it does end up being second tier. But one more recent one you should watch is... 
Mob Psycho 100
- One Punch Man author but it's such a better story... it HAS a story. I only watched One Punch Man after watching Mob Psycho... I had watched its first episode and thought... this show has one joke. It's a funny joke- but that's it. When I came back to it, pretty much right. I like his "I'm doing it for myself" attitude though.
Mob Psycho though, is funny and comes close to one joke- but it has so much heart. A surprising amount. By the time you get through the second season you realized you've watched this joke character actually grow and mature.
...and the action sequences really pack a punch.
...in my pants