Which Tenchi movie is your favorite?

Started by Sushi, July 03, 2020, 06:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I rewatched all the Tenchi movies recently and it made me wonder, how are the movies regarded in the fanbase? I couldn't find a thread discussing them.

My opnions:

Tenchi Muyo! in Love has some of the most beautiful 90s animation I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it's filled with plot holes and story beats that don't really serve any purpose. It's kind of a mess. Still, it's a fun jaunt with the characters that I revisit from time to time.

Tenchi: Daughter of Darnkess is actually one I really enjoy. I like that it feels episodic and kind of steps aside from the main plot to focus on some new characters without diverting attention from the main cast. This one is also gloriously animated and I love the scene  where Ryoko pushes Tenchi to the edge, leading him to lash out. Their resolve is one of the most touching moments in the entire Tenchiverse, imo.

Tenchi Muyo in Love 2: Tenchi Forever is my personal favorite. The sense of finality permeating the film really hits me in the feels. There's this melancholy tone that makes you feel like you are having one last adventure with these characters. The slightly different character designs are a bit jarring at first but that's my only real complaint. The movie feels like the end of Tenchi Muyo.

sooooo yeah! What does this community think of the movies?

10 years ago it was Daughter of Darkness because it felt the closest to the OVA....

Now its definitely Tenchi Forever....

The music is outstanding, the art is outstanding and the plot is pretty interesting. AIC took a gamble and imo it worked very well.

The original Tenchi Muyo in Love movie. I really liked the soundtrack and thematics.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

:siren: I agree with Sushi, Tenchi Muyo in Love had great animation for its category of film, and was treated canonical to the OVA until the Kuroda light novels emerged. Plus the music was by the same dude who did Babylon 5 soundtrack (according to the Fandom page).