What video games are you currently playing?

Started by WarOmnimon, December 28, 2012, 03:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
As the thread title entails, discuss what video games you're currently playing and whatnot.  You can also post to keep everyone posted as the weeks, months, etc go by.  (Seriously, I'd write a better intro for the thread, but I'm just being plain lazy right now as far as that's concerned.  :duck: )

I'll start the discussion by listing what I'm currently playing.

xBox 360
Virtua Fighter 2 One of the best games in the series, definitely worth the 400 points they ask for it.  Includes both the 2.0 and 2.1 versions of the game, with the final boss (Dural) being selectable in 2.1.

Sonic the Fighters Another 400 point game.  The characters' movesets aren't as in depth as VF2... but they did include the option to play as both of the bosses (Metal Sonic and Dr Eggman) and a new character (Honey the Cat), which were not available in the first console port of the game (Sonic Gems Collection for GameCube and PS2 was the first console appearance for this one).  I just wish they had included Bark and Bean in other Sonic games and given them an actual backstory.

Marvel VS Capcom Origins 1200 points for this one, but you get both Marvel Super Heroes and Marvel VS Capcom for one payment.  I remember playing the you know what out of these in the arcades as a kid... and they're still fun today.

PS3
WWE 13 Haven't been playing this one as much as the other games on my list, but I was lucky and haven't encountered too many of the supposed bugs in the game yet.  I also bought the Fan Axxess pack for this one, which has the most DLC out of the WWE games so far.  I'm thinking of starting a simulated season with this game's Universe Mode which I'd log on this very board.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

PC: World of Warcraft, Company of Heroes, Elder Scolls V: Skyrim

Vita: The Pinball Arcade, Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, Persona 4 The Golden, Street Fighter x Tekken

December 28, 2012, 08:36:23 PM #2 Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:37:54 PM by Tenchi Ryu
Well we do have a Video Game section, and I posted a number of stuff I was into there....

http://www.uselesstenchi.org/Forum/index.php?board=4.0

But for the most part, I'm usually playing some NBA 2k13, some Black Ops 2 and maybe a little Street fighter x Tekken or Marvel vs Capcom 3.

At other times when I'm in a RPG mood, I'll switch to PSP mode and play Monster Hunter, some Phantasy star or some other kind of magic game.

On occasional nights when I'm in a Fighting game mood, I'll bust out the dreamcast since I like to use my Arcade stick when playing older street fighter/ King of Fighter classics

I'm a handheld junkie these days, so...

3DS: Code of Princess (beat main storyline, just unlocking characters, etc. now)

DS:  Just finished 100% completion on Devil Survivor 2.  I picked the game back up a week or so ago when the anime was announced.  Currently, I'm doing a quick playthrough of the original Devil Survivor for 100% completion also (there was one route I didn't do before I rested the game).  I completed all of Overclocked a while ago.

There's also my always in-progress Dragon Quest IX mega file...

PSP: Eh, nothing at the moment, I barely touch the damn thing.  I do plan to go and play the Snow Queen Quest in Persona eventually, as well as finally dusting off that copy of Persona 2: Innocent Sin I have...
"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man."

http://morgeil.tumblr.com/

PC: Supreme Commander
&
Europa Universalis lll

Honestly I cheat so much in these games. And yet I play it legitimately when it comes to Japanese games that are ridiculously hard.
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

Apologies for posting this in the general section.  I knew we had a video game section here, but at the time I posted the thread I didn't notice it for some reason.  If a mod can move this thread there, it would be most appreciated.  :emot-iiam:

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on December 28, 2012, 08:36:23 PMOn occasional nights when I'm in a Fighting game mood, I'll bust out the dreamcast since I like to use my Arcade stick when playing older street fighter/ King of Fighter classics

*Arcade stick snip*

^ This.  I'll be bringing out my own DC and arcade stick shortly, as I am in a fighting game mood myself after playing KoF XIII a bit two days ago and SSF4:AE earlier today.

Speaking of Dreamcast, if you play wrestling games, Giant Gram 2000 (A pro wrestling game by Sega released in Japan only) is worth looking into if you have the means to play it.  The gameplay is tailored towards an arcade style, which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's still crazy fun, even if you don't know half of the wrestlers in the game.  It's tough to describe how certain moves link to others mid-move without going into complete detail on how gameplay works - that's part of the fun in this game.

I feel compelled to write a review of GG2K for this site now.  :emot-smugdog:
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

I looked at some gameplay on Youtube, and I like what I saw....And I love a good beat em up style Arcade game, so this looks like my cup of tea. I'll definitely check this one out....

Should be able to find a copy on TheIsoZone...

My friend has been Pokemon'ing it up with Pokemon black and white, and wouldn't shut the EFF up about it. Now its gotten to the point where he has me playing pokemon fire-red and pokemon emerald on a GBA emulator. So for the past few days, I've been playing 3rd gen pokemon games on the GPSP, a GBA emulator for PSP...

January 07, 2013, 01:23:34 AM #8 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:47:26 AM by Tenchi Ryu
So ever since this post above, I've been playing pokemon on the psp, but not just any pokemon, pokemon hacks. For those who might not know, hacking a GBA pokemon game and making it a new custom game (kinda like what Day Z is to Arma) is pretty popular in the pokemon community. So I've been playing the hack that many people consider one of the best in the past few years, POKEMON FLORA SKY.

Now its been awhile since I've played a hack, all the way back when a hack called Shiny Gold was out which was a hack of Fire Red. This here though is a hack of Pokemon Emerald, but the catch is that it has and focuses on 4th and 5th Gen pokemon from the Nintendo DS games. It's a really well put together game as the pokemon sprites are animated, and not just some crappy photoshop copy paste look. This IMHO gives me no reason to get Pokemon Black/White since I can just catch most of the pokemon from it here, and they look great. The storyline is always very well done...

http://www.youtube.com/v/vAkh0BINL2Q

Now that TR brings up ROM hacks, I will bring up one of my recent favorite hacks.

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Heroes

Take Sonic 2.  Add Knuckles as a playable character, every level (Including the Special Stages) from Sonic 1, save game support, the special shields from Sonic 3, and 3 player mode.  Make fixes so it's in a nice playable package.  Done.  :)

Aside from that, I've added some games to my current playlist (No pun intended, as that's usually a term for multimedia playing stuff).

-Vampire - Darkstalkers Collection (PS2)
-Vampire - Darkstalkers Chronicle (DC)
-Wrestle Kingdom 2 (PS2)

I've just been simming matches like crazy with Wrestle Kingdom 2, and will probably tackle the card-based Campaign Mode sooner than later.  As for the Darkstalkers games, I just started playing the series because of several characters from the series being included in Capcom Fighting Evolution (Which the way they meshed the fighting styles from the represented games was done quite well, in my book).  Collection has all five of the original games (With Arrange Mode for Vampire Savior as well as the Japan only "V2" Night Warriors and Vampire Savior), while Chronicle is basically the series' equalivent of Hyper Street Fighter 2 (And then some - the characters that weren't in the original Darkstalkers and Night Warriors have movesets that match the gameplay styles of those), with all three rulesets from the various games available.  If you are unable to play Chronicle on the Dreamcast, it was released internationally with additional features on the PSP as Darkstalkers Chronicle - The Chaos Tower.

As for who I'm playing as, I'm still getting to grips with all the more advanced gameplay mechanics, so I've been using Victor, Huitzil (AKA Phobos), Sasquatch, and Oboro Bishamon, who use fighting styles that I feel most comfortable with in most fighting games.  Victor and Sasquatch because I play as Zangief a lot in the Street Fighter games (And because Sasquatch has some similarities of Sub-Zero, who I main in the Mortal Kombat games), Huitzil because of his hovering ability and variety of projectiles, and Oboro Bishamon because he's the game's equalivent of Shin Akuma (Gouki) and therefore has so much combo capacity.  (No, I won't use Oboro against a human player - that would be just plain mean.)  Right now I would say Sasquatch is my main.

Most likely I'll be tackling Demitri and Morrigan next, though it will take a brief amount of time for me to get used to the fact that Demitri doesn't have an exact recreation of Ryu's Hurricane Kick.

As for what the future holds, I may get into Visual PinMAME again soon after reading that the good doctor is playing The Pinball Arcade on his Vita.  I always liked pinball myself, shame there aren't a lot of places where I live that have actual tables anymore.  (Protip - If you're a retro gamer and like both pinball and Pac-Man, try Baby Pac-Man out at some point.  It's essentially both genres combined - you'll have to play it yourself to see what I mean.)

Then of course there's Digimon Adventure coming out for the PSP in about a week's time, but you all knew I was going to play that one anyway.  8)

Mini-wall of text hits you for 2,013 damage.  Your move.

GG2K was a lot of fun. Not exactly my ideal wrestling title, but lots of fun and solid controls. And since you liked it, try Rumble Roses XX. Similar 'DOA' controls and lots of fun too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/WbL3kOy3ly0

Touhoumon Emerald
God-catching Alchemist
And Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil of Busy People
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

January 14, 2013, 12:55:22 PM #12 Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:01:58 PM by WarOmnimon
Quick update on my end.  Been playing Mega Man 2 (NES) as of this morning, and have already blazed through the initial eight levels.  The Wily levels are all that remain for me on this run.  I'll probably be playing through the other five NES games (In no particular order) while I'm waiting for Digimon Adventure (PSP) to release.

(And yes, Quick Man's level is still a PitA to this day.  Theoretically, you could say that my rear end is still sore from it.  Damn force beams... :pcgamer: )

EDIT Forgot to mention that I'm also playing Digimon Unlimited on my Android mini-tablet.  It's essentially the old Digimon Pendulum keychain pets ported to Android, with a larger character lineup and (As of right now) six different types of Digimon eggs to hatch.  Pretty fun stuff if you like Tamagotchi style pets, the battle and Jogres functions are even done with other players via wi-fi.

(However, DU's not available on Google Play.  You have to find the APK file and install it yourself.)

------------------------------------Eve Online----------------------------------------------Dwarf Fortress----------------------------------------------Company of Heroes-------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/v/W3KbcqyvydUhttp://www.youtube.com/v/zFIXdIJ154Uhttp://www.youtube.com/v/Y_MwntPB8S0

Just finished Mega Man 3 (NES) a couple of days ago, and am now playing Digimon Adventure and Digivice Version Portable (Both for PSP).

As far as the main game goes, they basically took the storyline of the TV series (And the second movie) and added more to do, including the Ultimate (Mega) forms for the main characters who didn't get them in the anime.  I just started the game today, so I'm not too far in yet.  The PSP Digivice is a nice bonus, especially if you can't afford the original handheld (It goes sometimes for over US$200 on eBay, for example).  Even if you do have the original Digivice and enjoyed it, check out the PSP version as it adds all eight Ultimates, plus Omegamon (Omnimon), which were not available on the handheld.  :)

I'm also thinking about playing Battleships Forever (PC) at some point - gotta get Star Trek starships blasting at each other somehow.  :babble: