DYK Anime Video on Tenchi Muyo

Started by Surgeon Of Death, September 07, 2014, 11:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I honestly am completely and utterly confused by the idea that these people are peddling that the girls' personalities changed so radically from OVA1 to 2. It... it just isn't there. If they're so uber mad about the harem ending, why not just, I dunno, prefer Universe or something? It's not that hard. Uni is p. good.

Also, as far as Petrea goes... people's opinions can change. Just gonna say that much. Maybe I'm naive, but knowing how Funi operates and given the lack of proper home PC recording equipment available at the time, eh... Unless she lived in Texas at the time I can understand why she might have turned it down. But if she did it's certainly questionable.

Quote from: Mewshuji on September 09, 2014, 04:16:55 PM
I honestly am completely and utterly confused by the idea that these people are peddling that the girls' personalities changed so radically from OVA1 to 2. It... it just isn't there. If they're so uber mad about the harem ending, why not just, I dunno, prefer Universe or something? It's not that hard. Uni is p. good.

Always been my issue. If you prefer Universe that's cool. But its like a broken record that we just got to keep hearing. I don't like this, Kajishima is doing something I don't like, etc.

We get it already, we've gotten it the past 10 years. Accept or move on.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on September 09, 2014, 06:05:14 PM
Always been my issue. If you prefer Universe that's cool. But its like a broken record that we just got to keep hearing. I don't like this, Kajishima is doing something I don't like, etc.

We get it already, we've gotten it the past 10 years. Accept or move on.

This, most people by this time in their life have way more shit to worry about then how "muh chinese cartoon" didn't end the way they wanted.

Imagine living in a world where more adults would shake their manchild... one where these sad bitter individuals could finally disappear.  :smith:
http://www.youtube.com/v/OKpo9wxSZaU

September 10, 2014, 02:13:48 AM #21 Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:22:40 PM by جبريل 無道
Quote from: Mewshuji on September 09, 2014, 04:16:55 PM

They do prefer universe.  Or so they claim.  But Universe is kinda shallow, what you see is exactly what you get.  I've never seen a TU (proper) discusion in the last dozen year except on Nagi, or a comment on the swimsuit competition and Kiyone's farmer's tan.  Nothing on what happens, future developments, mysteries, etcetera.  Even when Tenchi had over a dozen active forums a decade ago.

So The Ryoko Forever Fan Club v2.0 wants have even more elements from OAV, especially anything that makes Ryoko better.  Instead of a 17ish year old Space Pirate, they'd rather have her as the 5,000 year old that attacked Jurai, battled Yousho, sealed in a cave and astral projected her way out to fall in love with Tenchi (more heartwarming than TU's love at first sight), Washu's 3 gems, which make her a demigoddess in the future.  Plus Washu as her mom.  What better way to coopt that then to declare a divergent continuity of novels based on OAV1 as canon?  Especially by an author who admitted she wrote the first book with no clue who the 3 goddesses are, and then somehow edited it enough to include an illustration of them with Ryoko floating in the middle with some "Child of Destiny" title.  (I'm pretty sure OAV1's ending hinted that type of role would be Tenchi's but whatever...)

It's also why they rejoice at quotes like Hayashi saying he thought of the show as essentially Tenchi/Ryoko and all the other girls just as filler and essentially background noise.  It's all the other girls I like, so that essential mentality of that section of the fandom makes me sad:(

I think this view of the girls was the cause of the HH/MK split.  MK designed all the girls and as he said they were all his idealized women.  He even came up with an entirely new name, Ayeka from an old obscure word Aekanaru, meaning delicate or fragile for one.  They were all interesting, deep characters in their own right, and not just filler for laughs or to be shoved aside.

If you look at OAV one, except ep3 to a degree, each one is quite Ryoko dominated even when the other girls get introed.  MK personally storyboarded ep6 (and ep1), and we're seeing a slight more balanced show where all the girls act and not just Ryoko.  Mihoshi is responsible for freeing Washu from ice.  Ayeka carries on the attack and saves Ryoko with her logs at a crucial moment (and in turn Ryoko saves her iirc).  Washu is introed (HH didn't want this as he thought it was too many girls too soon especially with Tsunami also appearing for the first time).  And the ending, we get Ryoko wanting to hug Tenchi, but ending up everyone but her getting to Tenchi sooner, including her newly found mom and even her cabbit:)

OAV2 has its Ryoko moments, but no longer is she the dominant player around which the universe moves and whose actions it reacts to.  And even what should be her big moment, Tenchi there gingerly holding the dying Zero, we have the real Ryoko in the background banging a glass test tube from inside XD

Edit: Spelling.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

As someone who prefers Universe... yeah I can see it being shallower. Besides the fact that it's over and done with and most things necessary to explain have been, it is a pretty basic action/shonen/shoujo show. Nothing wrong with that, and the fact that it is a bit simpler makes me like it more. I do have to say I dislike how... simple they made Mihoshi. In the OVA/OAV/TMR (still unsure which is the preferable term to use) she's not really dumb, just clumsy, and happens to chance into good things through her clumsiness. I realize that was to play up the manzai routine between her and Kiyone but it still feels cheap.

But that the original series gives more power to Ryoko, oh, definitely, I can certainly understand why they'd want to warp it to their whims. But to be frank none of the girls' origin stories were really explained in Universe- well other than Sasami and Ayeka but those were pretty basic princess roles. Whereas in TMR, they all have distinct backgrounds. Which I definitely appreciate.

Anyway, as you guys said, in the end it is just all fiction. It's nothing to cause such drama over. Certainly fiction has the power to make us sad, or upset, or angry... but once it starts making you angry at other people, maybe it's time to calm down and think about why it's that damn important to you and if your life needs adjusting. I say this as someone who has had... moments like that myself. But I recognize I have had a problem and I'm taking active steps to overcome it. Seeing a psychiatrist and such.

Bwah, I dunno.   :poopoo: Kinda went off on a tangent there, my bad. Still, think it's legit to say.

Mind you, I agree about that the complainers about OVA3 (especially "PenguinTruth") and the exclusive Ryoko favourisers can get extremely annoying with their obsessive complaining about old events. I just think that this video in particular came across like harmless fluff, and that we shouldn't take it out on Petrea, who only read from a script.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

I definitely agree in regards to Petrea. I'm sure she had no idea what she was reading was a total load of crud. After all I certainly "believed" a lot of it at first until I got set straight. Really it was only the one line implying Kajishima was misogynist or something that made me think like "WAIT A SECOND, this smells like bullcrap."

I wouldn't take the Petrea hazing too seriously.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Quote from: antvasima on September 10, 2014, 03:14:01 AMI just think that this video in particular came across like harmless fluff, and that we shouldn't take it out on Petrea, who only read from a script.

I love Petrea's Voice Acting in this too-

http://www.youtube.com/v/ady5wUpIZDw

September 10, 2014, 08:47:06 AM #27 Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:52:44 AM by antvasima
That's just stereotypical psychopathic filth, and had nothing to do with any of this.  :ignore:

Well, that one was much better. I dislike when trolls, like the guy who made that video and others even worse, get fanatic about attacking and degrading anything nice that they can find.