The obsession...

Started by For Washuu, October 28, 2012, 06:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm "better safe than sorry", they say, so this thread goes in the Rant Room instead of chit-chat. 

Sex, people.  It's what this country and culture (if not the whole world at this point) adore.  It is presented to us on the big screen, over the radio waves, on billboards, and in nearly every corner of the internet and our daily conversations.

And here on UselessTenchi, amidst online peers and sibling-like rivals in fandom, ponders one "sad, lonely virgin."  (Thank you, Tenchi Abridged.)

I mean... I just..... why?
I know a 40+ year-old, single virgin who has found both contentedness in life and humor in this pop-culture addiction that daily tries to shove down his throat that he must have sex and sex appeal to be "the man" or to find fulfillment in life.

Why, dammit, why?!?

Is there nothing in this whole, wide world that we (the American culture) cannot sexualize?  Is there any phrase that we can't reply to with "that's what she said"?  Is there a single advertisement-riddled channel on the Idiot Box or a single ad-bar-laden website that WON'T try to use the appeal of an attractive girl/woman to sell me their product or service?

I'll be honest with you concerning me and sex.  No, I've never been with someone in reality, but I'll route anyone straight on back to the Dreamviews forum if they challenge me when I say that sex in one's dreams feels less real than that in real life.  (No, really.  Ask them there; they know.)
So I know what this feels like in effect; I'm not some guy left out wondering what the fuss is about.

But I am!  Because there is SO MUCH fuss!  I mean, an obscenely excessive amount of fuss.  Can't we all just shut up about it and find something a little more solid than a chemical reaction to obsess about?  Can't we look at sex as an expression rather than an action?  Can't we look at a beautiful woman and wonder if they're just as beautiful mentally, instead of saying "sexy bitch" and skipping straight to lust?

Can't we just NOT be fed that it's weird to be restrained in this aspect of life?

Can't they just shut up?  Do we really think that we MUST be susceptible if not ruled by this mentality?

Jesus criminy christmas you had to pick THIS as a topic.

While many people focus on the lust aspect of sexual encounters, they talk about how awesome or beautiful or sensual and erotic their time was, but in truth the act itself is often rather clumsy and awkward, particularly when you're first starting out. [Practice makes perfect.] The release and sensation certainly becomes addictive and can often lead to changes in the way you react to situations or consider people when you meet them.

However the simple release of chemicals and the exchange of fluids is secondary to the connection between two people during the act of making love.  Especially when you find someone you mesh with properly, the connection is something unattainable on your own, a blending of two people lost not just in animalistic passion and mindless rutting but lost in one another. 

That someone refrains from engaging in this connection has become odd in today's society, but should not be frowned upon.  The act of making love does not change who you are, it may change how you act, but ultimately you will walk away from the experience unchanged.  However, it is absolutely an experience that should be, well, experienced.  Lucid dreaming and dreamscaping can provide some modicum of understanding and at least a partial experience, but it's not really quite the same.  In a dreamscape you're still in control, and despite how real it may seem, you're still only connecting with yourself.

Now, as for society and how it perverts the act of love to sell beer, chocolate and even toys does turn the stomach, it's been proven time and time again that sex sells, and money drives civilization, so therefore, at least in some way, sex drives civilization.  It's growing to a point where you can't hardly see the true beauty of the world for all the photo-shopped 'honeys' standing in the way.  All it takes is a little mental effort and you can push this aside, however.  If you can lucid dream, you can ignore the multitude of flashing 'XXX' signs that assuage us from all angles.  Is this something society should work to if not prohibit, at least downplay?  Absolutely.  Will it happen?  Probably not. 

So really it comes down to you to see the beauty in a person and not just an attractive exterior.  If you look hard enough there's beauty everywhere and all around you.  It's not up to you to make someone else see things your way, but to just accept that you see things your own way and live as you see fit.

Thought the path is paved with jagged stones and I cannot see its end, I shall strive ever onward, for one day my bleeding feet will heal and the free air is too sweet in my lungs for any other to suffice.

I, as a traditionalist, understand what you're saying but. There's nothing that can be done. Society is running ahead too fast and leaving us behind. All we can do is pass down our ideas down to our children and hope they pass it on. >.>
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

Patu's reply
+
Quote from: Auir on October 29, 2012, 02:34:18 PMThere's nothing that can be done. Society is running ahead too fast and leaving us behind. All we can do is pass down our ideas down to our children and hope they pass it on.
=
Gee whoopee.  I guess it's time to pack my bags and move to...

...crap.  There's nowhere to run, is there?
No, wait, I know: googlemaps @ -46.875558, 37.858479

Or...
Move to one of the traditional cities or villages in Asia.  ;D

That's if, if you can take it. ;)
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

Quote from: Auir on October 30, 2012, 01:26:35 PM
Or... Move to one of the traditional cities or villages in Asia.

"Daaaang succah."   Too bad Okayama isn't one of them.