GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think they should do a Paradise War anime adaptation, but considering how Kajishima-sensei is, I kinda doubt we get one.

He really seems to want to, the companies are the ones that seem on the fence. Last doujin afterward pretty much said that. The upside is that he says he'll get back to the novels until something else happens.
...in my pants

I admit, I didn't read the last doujinshi statement from Kajishima-sensei. For a studio, and anime adaptation would seem to be an easy call, more so if you keep the adaptation faithful.

Although that's already being changed, with Tsukiko now seemingly having an active role. Nayuta is also a factor. Presumably, she can just stay "inside" Seina if she has too (it's never explained what her deal is now. In episode 4 she was shown "linking" with Seina at one time- as if she were still "part" of him- but that was the only time she did so).

Really, that may be the big question.
What part of this OVA was the least developed/least satisfying tease?

Tsukiko's unexplained flashbacks?
The development of the Yamada superstore- which the girls never got to work at?
Souren?
KurryKoochie (or whatever her name is)
Aspects of Jovia's story?

...for me it may be the introduction and instant disappearance of Zinv-chan. I know that her, story, as well as those of Nayuta, Souren, Airen, and others are things to be covered in the novels... but why even bother showing her if she never gets to come back? Why doesn't she get to play on the beach with the cabbits? She has a "body" now, does she get to interact with anyone or does she just have to stay with her seed all the time? Is she possibly the loneliest "character" ever shown in the franchise?
...in my pants

petition to fomalize the fan name of curry koochie
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on October 30, 2023, 01:01:06 AM
I have to say, episode 6 felt cheap (as in EXNOA ran out of money)...and it doesn't feel like the end of a series. I get that this OVA is just to bridge the GXP novels with the Paradise War novels. But to me, there should have been more. I suppose if I had read the novels, I'd have an explanation of sorts on how things got established. But in terms of its own story, the GXP OVA felt hollow and pointless.

I'll write more in the blog, and maybe when I finally get moved into my new home, I can do a video reviewing the whole series. But here are issues I had.

1) The whole Tsukiko x Seina stuff was completely pointless.
2) As much as I liked seeing Masaki, she was pointless and turned into rubbish in episode 5.
3) Jovia is pointless.
4) The cabbits seem interesting, but not enough time is spent with them to flesh them out more.
5) There should have been some sort of cameo from Seina's other wives. I'm not saying they should have visited, but the technology exists for a "space phone call", so why not have it?
6) Speaking of contacts, outside of Kai, Seina has ZERO contact with his family. Why? Clearly, the cabbits (and I guess Jovia and Tsukiko) keep Seina's unlucky elements suppressed a lot. But even if direct contact was too much (and I don't buy that if Kai can contact Seina), then a phone call? Seriously!
7) The magic system is something I'm not buying into. As I understand it, space technology (Jurai, GXP, whatever) can do pretty much everything the magic can do.
8) And as usual, the series relies on viewers previously reading the GXP novels and the Paradise War novels. There were some improvements on this front, but not enough.

I need to hit the sack, but while I certainly didn't hate the series, I felt it was just underwhelming. And that last episode really felt like EXNOA ran out of money.

I really wanted to see Seina's OG wives from the GXP anime back again. Hell, we got more of Kiriko, Amane, and Ryoko Balta in OVA 5 than in this new OVA that literally has "GXP" in the title. I know it's supposed to focus on setting up Paradise Wars but I wanted to see the original cast interact again because I actually like those characters a bit (especially Amane). Oh, and Seina's family too. He never even talked to his sister Yoshiko I believe, even though she got married to Kai. And I haven't watched the last two episodes yet but I've heard that Seina and Tsukiko's relationship doesn't go anyway by the final episode which is a big letdown. I mean the first episode was just teasing us about those two, we don't deserve to get blue-balled like this.

I feel like the fundamental problem with Kajishima's style of storytelling is that he loves to expand the world and characters (which is cool and all) but he's always trying to set up the next big thing in the plot, instead of taking the time to "breathe" every once and a while. Obviously plot progression is important but it should be balanced against having characters just being in their element, you know, just doing whatever they want and having fun with their lives. And I know Kajishima can do that sort of thing because OVA 2 (and to a lesser extent OVA 3) was exactly like that and was great. But here in GXP Paradise Starting, I feel like there's not much enjoyment to derive from it directly, especially not without having read the prerequisite light novels (of which I really should get to reading but I don't have time to). It's still better than OVA 5 in this aspect, though.

I do like Jovia though, she's by far the funniest character in this new OVA. The first half of episode 3 where she's just messing around and doing what she wanted was great, but there should be more stuff like that throughout.

And I've also heard about the really bad visuals in episode 6. I'll be looking forward to that too.

Does anyone know if there is going to be an OST or at least an OP/ED single for 「想ひ、ひとひら」 & 「Paradice LOVE」?

Quote from: bsfema on November 03, 2023, 11:26:45 AM
Does anyone know if there is going to be an OST or at least an OP/ED single for 「想ひ、ひとひら」 & 「Paradice LOVE」?

I'll look in to it.

Got home from work and found a box containing the GXP Shido Hen book (237 pages), yet another audio CD (about 23 minutes), and the Washu Tapestry.  I'll get everything scanned, ripped, and photographed this weekend and get started on the translation.

Sometime in early December I'll be putting Season 4, 5 and all of the Shido Hen stuff up for sale. If anyone wants it, you better speak up quickly!

BoB
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

Quote from: BobSchlotkin on November 08, 2023, 03:00:35 AM
Got home from work and found a box containing the GXP Shido Hen book (237 pages), yet another audio CD (about 23 minutes), and the Washu Tapestry.  I'll get everything scanned, ripped, and photographed this weekend and get started on the translation.

Sometime in early December I'll be putting Season 4, 5 and all of the Shido Hen stuff up for sale. If anyone wants it, you better speak up quickly!

BoB

is the tapestry for sale?

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on November 10, 2023, 01:40:54 PM
is the tapestry for sale?

I'm going to try to sell Season 4, 5 and Shido Hen as a set. If I can't get a decent price for the lot, I'll piece them out. If that happens I'll start here!

BoB

Alrighty folks,
I've completed photographing all 240 pages of the Shidohen novel, OCR'd 'em on Google and have begun the translation.

One question!
What the consensus? Jovia or Jobia?

Kinda partial to Jovia myself, but it really makes no difference.

BoB

Jovia Jovis

I've always seen it akin to "jovial"
...in my pants

Got a quick complaint about the Shido Hen novel.
There are 11 instances in the book where Jovia's name is spelled out in Katakana as Jopia!

I really wish this guy could afford either an editor or a spell checker!

BoB

classic kaj. cant even keep his own characters names spelled right
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here