GXP Novel Re-edits

Started by BobSchlotkin, January 02, 2023, 02:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
when i first looked up the name it told me yomotsu was a ferryman of the underworld now that i checked what you said its saying its another name for Izanami i would've made a different adaption of the name entirely had i known that yomotsu ookami refers to a version if her that is queen of the underworld.

Persephone or ereshkigal is more fitting
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

June 14, 2023, 08:15:09 AM #16 Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:27:50 AM by Nonsuch Ned
Quote from: Dreamr on June 12, 2023, 11:17:19 PM
For fun, https://battle-spirits.fandom.com/wiki/The_YomiRouseBeastEmperor_YomotsuOokami

"[ Complex ]《"Yomo" is the sound change of "Yomi (Yomi)." ``tsu'' is a case particle meaning ``of.'' It is attached above nouns and indicates that the word is related to the underworld  ."

Basically, yomotsu = yomino. I find it interesting that the individual kanji are Yellow Spring. I might spend a bit of time reading up on the entymology of it. Wonder if the color yellow is associated with the underworld. Sounds like something the Japanese might have imported from China.

tl;dr: Great God of the Underworld. So synonymous with Izanami, Hades, Pluto etc.

Ookami can also mean wolf. There was a couple games by that name for the Playstation. They were very good, with an impressive Japanese aesthetic.

I do not agree with any reference to Charon. Charon is the boatman responsible for ferrying souls across the River Acheron. He is not the Lord or wolf of the Underworld. He just collects his fee and poles the boat.

Personally, if I were to take some poetic license with the name, I'd opt for something like Hellhound or Barghest.

Regardless, wtf Washu. Why? Such a horrid name for Fuku and Ryo-ohki's little sister. What's wrong with you?

I mean, I know nothing of it. But if "tsu" can be translated as "ferry" then it fits.

Quote"Yomo" represents "Hades." Literally, it's the sulfur river of Hades. "Tsu," in this incident, translates as "ferry."  "Ookami" translates as "wolf" but it is clearly a pun on "okami" (great deity). It's clearly referring to Charon, the ferry kami of Hades, so, to localize, the fan translator uses "Charon Wolf" instead of its cumbersome long name.'

Apparently the name was chosen because "it made Seto laugh."

The other option is to try to convey the jokey over-the-top nature of the name and always name it something like "Hades-River-Styxx-Wolf-God"  "Hades-chan" for short.
...in my pants

Considering the company Yomotsuookami is in (Zinv / HIMC), I think the name is rather fitting.

After looking a bit more, 黄泉津大神 does indeed have the kanji for ferry in it. Literally Yomi-ferry-great god. So I guess Charon could work. But as I don't own a copy of the novel, I'm assuming the kanji in that site I linked are the same as in the novel. c/d?

Quote from: Dreamr on June 14, 2023, 08:48:04 PM
Considering the company Yomotsuookami is in (Zinv / HIMC), I think the name is rather fitting.

After looking a bit more, 黄泉津大神 does indeed have the kanji for ferry in it. Literally Yomi-ferry-great god. So I guess Charon could work. But as I don't own a copy of the novel, I'm assuming the kanji in that site I linked are the same as in the novel. c/d?

I've got all 17 novels as jpg's and OCRd.
Unfortunately, there is no kanji referring to Yomotsuookami in the GXP novels. Katakana only. ヨモツオオカミ.

I really don't have an opinion on what the name should be (except that Yomotsuookami is a bit long!) , so I'll go with whatever the general consensus is.

BoB

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

June 22, 2023, 02:50:31 PM #19 Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 02:53:42 PM by Dreamr
Using just the katakana in deepl, I got: Hokkaido wolf (Canis lupus hattai, extinct).

I think I get it now. Izanami got the name of Yomotsuookami because she chased her husband, Izanagi, out of the underworld after he broke his promise not to look at her under light (because she was rotting and dead). https://nihonsinwa.com/page/1951.html

Quote from: Dreamr on June 22, 2023, 02:50:31 PM
Using just the katakana in deepl, I got: Hokkaido wolf (Canis lupus hattai, extinct).

I think I get it now. Izanami got the name of Yomotsuookami because she chased her husband, Izanagi, out of the underworld after he broke his promise not to look at her under light (because she was rotting and dead). https://nihonsinwa.com/page/1951.html

That's very interesting!
Sometimes I get Hokkaido Wolf, mostly I get Yomotsu Wolf.
DeepL being the occasional Hokkaido Wolf.
Google Translate, Yandex Translate, and Translate.com always respond with Yomotsu Wolf.

BoB
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

Another slight issue is that both Barrium and Abaryum are used for the planet that Seina gets stuck on.
As Eff used Barrium first, that's what I put in the wiki- but either is probably fine.
...in my pants

What't the deal with "Nayuta" being upset about having the same as Nana? Is "Philosopher's Stone" somehow pronounced as "Nana"?
I thought the deal was that Barigaru also called the core borrowed intelligence a Philosopher's Stone- but as I read 17, it seems that at least some of he problem is with "Nana."
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 10, 2023, 01:07:44 AM
What't the deal with "Nayuta" being upset about having the same as Nana? Is "Philosopher's Stone" somehow pronounced as "Nana"?
I thought the deal was that Barigaru also called the core borrowed intelligence a Philosopher's Stone- but as I read 17, it seems that at least some of he problem is with "Nana."

no clue. i literaly just finished 17 for the first time yesterday and whew whata  boring novel
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Eff Efferson on August 11, 2023, 01:20:05 PM
Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 10, 2023, 01:07:44 AM

no clue. i literaly just finished 17 for the first time yesterday and whew whata  boring novel

Oh yeah, lots of content, but I'm having problems just writing the summary/recap.
...in my pants

Saw the updated 17 summaries on Fandom, looks great Nonsuch Ned.  :discoursechef:

Yeah, since I don't know when I'll finish, I decided to just post the chapter updates as I do them.  I  think Chapter 3 will be the longest, so, ... maybe half finished?
...in my pants

August 13, 2023, 02:27:34 PM #27 Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 02:33:19 PM by Eff Efferson
Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 12, 2023, 03:31:53 PM
Yeah, since I don't know when I'll finish, I decided to just post the chapter updates as I do them.  I  think Chapter 3 will be the longest, so, ... maybe half finished?
wait on tenchi.fandom.com? cause some of those summaries are god aweful (5-14 specificly). like I love that they make me laugh but that's not even close to whats going on.  but in the early gxp and the renzas ark the summaries are great though from what ive seen
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

August 14, 2023, 10:09:46 AM #28 Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:08:36 PM by Nonsuch Ned
I know. I desperately need to redo them. They must have been done early in your translations, but even then, not sure how some of that was written down and just left like that. But... other things to do. The Renza arc took priority, as they are the ones people have zero familiarity with.

...just added notes to warn of possible inaccuracies.

I fixed 1,2, & 4... I have no idea why I skipped 3 (I think 4 was just insultingly bad... like worse than the ones that are still there.)

But, like ... written in 3 ... Apparently Kirche was special because she has "Ahou"
   :really:
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 14, 2023, 10:09:46 AM
But, like ... written in 3 ... Apparently Kirche was special because she has "Ahou"
   :really:

Not sure if sarcasm was intended. So I'll assume not. That's a tie-in to Photon and Geminar. Everything about super-powers in those was tied to ahou. Also, iirc ahou also means fool, idiot, etc. Hence, Photon: The Idiot Adventures. You know how Japanese love their word-play.