OVA 5 Info Thread

Started by Dr.Soviet, August 30, 2017, 12:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
sorry to double post but is anyone else still confused as to why they made Fuuka a separate character when she was supposedly supposed to be kasumi taro's mother.... honestly i suspect it to be a mistranslation...
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

That is interesting, what does Taro's mother look like? I thought in the earlier OVAs it was always the aunt doing the baby Taro handoff.

Yeah I was confused by the Fuuka thing too. I don't know why he would want to change that. Having the current Fuuka stay Kasumi would have given audiences a little more reason to care about her.

Quote from: WaitoKon on July 25, 2019, 11:24:15 PM
That is interesting, what does Taro's mother look like? I thought in the earlier OVAs it was always the aunt doing the baby Taro handoff.

Yep, it was.

Originally Kasumi looked like Fuuka, as the page Fap provided shows, but as of OVA4 she's very normal looking. To my knowledge Kajishima never said why he split them. The novel Washu demonstrated that Kasumi spends some time in space, so why not let "Fuuka" stay Kasumi?

OVA 4 could have much better if there was more humor in it. It would have been much better if there was an episode on Shrank's visit to Earth. Shrank's visit to Earth was disclose in one of the GXP's episodes. Shrank's visit could help OVA 4.  OVA 4  is a prequel to War on Geminar as well as marking the end of the Ryo-Ohki series.  I do  want OVA 5 to be a sequel.

About the series' main plot, it can nclude a focus on Jurain politics.  Tenchi and Ayeka can learn that the present Head of the House of Amaki wants to visit earth as well as to see them. Of course, I did disclose my ideal for the visit in another reply. For the villain, he should remain a mystery like Dr. Clay and Kagato. There can a vital clue to who the main villain may be in an early episode.

:how: :vrage: :ragdoll:

Many thanks for this suggestion, takahata. The villain factor is huge for Tarant and his team, they apparently reverse-engineer Cabbit (am I reading the GXP summaries correctly?)

Quote from: WaitoKon on July 27, 2019, 11:31:21 AM
Many thanks for this suggestion, takahata. The villain factor is huge for Tarant and his team, they apparently reverse-engineer Cabbit (am I reading the GXP summaries correctly?)

they failed but thats what they were trying however tarrant is very much disposed of.
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

While we are on the topic of villains, there was a "Kagato Ghost" in the 1993 light novel by Naoko Hasegawa, who was in charge of screenplay for OVA 1 and 2. I think it was a regrettably short read, but at least we got the jist of what a felled Kagato presence might evoke. The problem was it tried to absorb one of Ryoko's gems wholesale, in order to command spirits from the Masaki estate as well as puppeteer people.

Quote from: Eff Efferson on July 21, 2019, 09:38:39 PMDare i say it...

OVA 4 is bad and boring because instead of focusing on the girls story arcs like OVA 1 2 and 3 it focuses on resolving tenchi's story arc and most people never even pick up on his ark / care if poor little mommyless tenchi gets over his feelings of loss and abandonment from his mother figure.

it also works on resolving nobuyuki's story ark which no one really ever cared about / was shoe horned into ova 3.

PREACH!  This is also my biggest problem with OVA 4.  I mean, really... there's no reason why they should have focused literally ALL of OVA 4 on Nobuyuki and Rea.  The fact that they shoehorned it into OVA 3 was bad enough.  We shouldn't have had to sit through it AGAIN.  At least it was better than the unmentionable we had to deal with 5 years ago.  Doesn't necessarily mean that OVA 4 was good, but let's face it... anything is better than Ai.  ANYTHING.

And then again, I'm sure that OVA 5 will give us Tenchi's wedding (Remember, word going around is that we're getting 6 episodes this time; they'll probably put the buildup to Tenchi's wedding and the wedding itself in there so that OVA 5 isn't just "okay here's a Kenshi Masaki training montage that lasts for 6 whole episodes"), so yeah.  I think things will be handled MUCH better this time thankfully.

Quote from: Eff Efferson on July 21, 2019, 09:38:39 PM#lets not forget the whole tarrant shank kiddinaping set up that is just totaly ignored.

Given that happens during the Tenchi GXP novels, I actually expected the OVAs to avoid talking about it all along.  Logically speaking, that's material for a remake / sequel (More than likely we'd get a remake rather than a sequel for obvious reasons) of the GXP anime, not the OVAs.  Frustrating, yes, but at least I can understand why the OVAs didn't go near those happenings.

In other words, whether AIC would do another GXP anime or not is a discussion for another place and / or time... but the fact that what happened with Tarrant was part of GXP's story is probably why they didn't touch upon those events in the OVAs.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

but they dont discuss it. they discuss it like your already supposed to know it happened and how it went down. its given a few vauge throw away lines and just enough info to let you know it happened right after the end of ova 4...  same thing with mihoshis incedent... you can tell theres only neough information given so they can have the full story elsewhere
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Eff Efferson on July 21, 2019, 09:38:39 PM
Dare i say it...

OVA 4 is bad and boring because instead of focusing on the girls story arcs like OVA 1 2 and 3 it focuses on resolving tenchi's story arc

Did it? To me, OVA 4 came off more as a "fill in the gaps" from other canon materials Kajishima-sensei has written. Tenchi felt like more of an afterthought to me.

Quoteit also works on resolving nobuyuki's story ark which no one really ever cared about / was shoe horned into ova 3.

I don't think it was shoehorned into OVA 3. I think AIC cut it short. Rumor was that OVA 3 was supposed to be much longer than it ended up being. And AIC tossed a bone to Kajishima-sensei with OVA 3 +1. Whether that was true or not, OVA 4 was Kajishima-sensei's way of telling the tale he wasn't allowed to tell back then.

Quotewho's to blaim AIC or kajishima.... id say both.

I don't disagree there. One of my gripes with Kajishima-sensei's writing style is that he expects people to be current with all other canon works of his. OVA 4 was difficult for me because I'd not read the GXP novels. And I hadn't seen WoG in ages. (My BD set from FUNimation is still sealed in plastic. 😅) So I was having to remember story elements from that during the heavy exposition. At least he did show some imagery from WoG during the exposition, but it was still a heavy dump.

QuoteOVA 3 is bad sepecificly because of something no one ever likes to put the blame on. REA. people want to blame noike... noike is a good waifu and a decent character. rea... rea is a needless tie in to war on geminar. her personality is mush. her design... meh. the fact that her existance warrents an entire seasonal arc around her... bleh.

I honestly don't have a problem with Rea. But then I didn't have a problem with Noike either. Rea would have worked better had she been mentioned in OVA 1 or 2.

Quoteoriginally kenji wasn't planned to be his half brother but his granson... and honestly it should have stayed that way.
https://tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/night-before-carnival-vol3-heisei-ban-3.html

Well, there were a lot of things originally planned for "X" or "Y" that get changed along the production route. I often watch the commentary track for movies or TV shows where the director or show runner discuss how much the finish product changed from the original story pitch or first draft. 

If I recall correctly, there are doujinshi where Kajishima-sensei publishes early drafts for OVA 1 episodes. I seem to recall that most of the modifications done for the anime version of the script were positive changes that improved things. The only change I didn't like was the conversation between Ryoko and Aeka in the floating onsen. The earlier draft version of that was far superior than what we got in OVA 1. But for whatever reason, it got changed.

Quote from: takahata on July 26, 2019, 04:58:43 PM
OVA 4 could have much better if there was more humor in it.

I think some of the humor was more Japanese culture related. And some of it was Kajishima related. Its times like this that I miss True Sheol's insight on this aspect of TM!R.

QuoteShrank's visit could help OVA 4.  OVA 4  is a prequel to War on Geminar as well as marking the end of the Ryo-Ohki series.  I do  want OVA 5 to be a sequel.

Since I'm not versed on the GXP novels, was Shrank's visit covered there?  If so, that's why you likely won't see it in anime form.

That aside, I honestly get the feeling that Kajishima-sensei isn't interested in doing more action stuff with TM!R. He'd rather do "day in the life" or stuff like that.

Quote from: WarOmnimon on August 07, 2019, 05:31:04 PMI mean, really... there's no reason why they should have focused literally ALL of OVA 4 on Nobuyuki and Rea.  The fact that they shoehorned it into OVA 3 was bad enough.  We shouldn't have had to sit through it AGAIN.

I still don't believe it was shoehorned into OVA 3. I think Kajishima-sensei always planned to have it in OVA 3, but wasn't given the episodes to do it. After OVA 3, there really was no plan for more TM!R episodes.

That aside, when it came to OVA 4, AIC didn't go for the "-If-" stuff, so he gets to tell his Nobuyuki wedding tale that he wanted to tell years ago. This is one of those rare times that Kajishima-sensei will recover old ground. Had he properly told his Nobuyuki x Rea tale in OVA 3, it wouldn't have been in OVA 4.

QuoteGiven that happens during the Tenchi GXP novels, I actually expected the OVAs to avoid talking about it all along.  Logically speaking, that's material for a remake / sequel (More than likely we'd get a remake rather than a sequel for obvious reasons) of the GXP anime, not the OVAs.  Frustrating, yes, but at least I can understand why the OVAs didn't go near those happenings.

So this is gone over in the GXP novels then. I'd love for the GXP anime to get a remake, but I doubt Kajishima-sensei is down for that. As I see it, in his mind, the novels are enough. Non-Japanese fans don't enter his thought equations.

Quote from: Eff Efferson on August 07, 2019, 07:45:14 PM
but they dont discuss it. they discuss it like your already supposed to know it happened and how it went down. its given a few vauge throw away lines and just enough info to let you know it happened right after the end of ova 4...  same thing with mihoshis incedent... you can tell theres only neough information given so they can have the full story elsewhere

That's the problem with Kajishima-sensei's writing style. If he's done something to his satisfaction once, he's not doing it again. To me, that's why we didn't get to see Ryoko and Aeka kick arse in OVA 3 (something that pissed me off royally). As I see it, in Kajishima-sensei's mind, we'd seen them kick arse in OVA 1. As such, there's no reason to show it again.

Because of this mindset, Kajishima-sensei doesn't feel like being bothered with spending time bringing folks up to speed in OVA 4. In his mind, true fans of his work will have read the GXP novels and watched the WoG anime, to say nothing of having watched OVA 1-3+. It is bad storytelling from the sense of reaching a broader audience. But since Sensei isn't worried about a broader audience, nor a non-Japanese audience, well...

One might say that Kajishima-sensei has gone back over old ground before. That's true, but conditionally so. The GXP novels rose from his dissatisfaction with the anime. So in his mind, he's not recovering old ground. He's fixing a problem. Ditto the Nobuyuki-Rea wedding in OVA 4. This wasn't retreading ground from OVA 3. This was fixing what he couldn't do in OVA 3.

Again, I agree with the sentiment that OVA 4 isn't "good" because it relies on audiences being 100% up to date with the canon lore. To Japanese fans, OVA 4 was great because it filled in some lore gaps and bridged the TM!R anime with the GXP novels. That's why we are getting an OVA 5.

Did it? To me, OVA 4 came off more as a "fill in the gaps" from other canon materials Kajishima-sensei has written. Tenchi felt like more of an afterthought to me.
if you read the OVA plot outline novel its pretty clear from the descriptive dialog (the text that isn't verbal) that kajishima's intent of this part of the story is that minaho arrives after his family basically made a mockery of his mothers memory and she, being the one who knew and also resembles his mother the most she takes him out with her so she can introduce herself and also help tenchi resolve his feelings of loss of his mother, as well as his lack of knowledge about who she truly was.

this doesn't translate well at all with bad subtitles (our fault) 3rd party directing (time's fault) and direct adaption (i assume everyone's fault)

examples"
[spoiler]
*the three idiots show up on the deck mizune charges and is thrown off minaho comes in*

The quiet and calm feeling of her arival was clearly different from Airi and Tennyo's,
She gave off an impression like Noike or Tsukiko did.
Indeed, the atmosphere she gave off was very similar to the one Funaho gave off.

(......... her aura feels similar to Mother's) Tenchi thought.

Of course, from the story he heard Airi and Tennyo, he learned that Kiyone was quite different, but for now Minaho in front of him seemed to embody only the good parts of his Mother that Tenchi remembered.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Minaho unexpectedly went and gently hugged Tenchi as he tried to greet Minaho. It felt as gentle as if he was wrapped in feathers. As usual, the girls began to wrinkle between their eyebrows,

but instead of CRYING out in outrage they eventually just began smiling at the sight.[/spoiler]

not only that the intended pacing was changed a bit minahos speech on his mother while farming comes exactly right after he is introduced to her in the next scene when they work the feilds in the anime it is cut in half by ayeka and ryoko's discussion over the fabric (which has the engagement reveal part cut wtf[spoiler]Jurai's formal wear has various meanings that can be gleamed from looking at it. By looking at it, she could tell who each piece was meant for and it even said things about the intended parties lineage and royal status. There was a systematic design in it that designated things like if one was a minor, or a member of the royal family.
In her case it said that she was was Azusa's Daughter. However, if you were married or engaged, another design was also added. In other words, the fabric for the outfits to be made by Ayeka for Ryoko and the others also revealed their true intended purpose to her.
In extreme terms, The designs showed she was was Azusa's daughter but where she had once hoped it would say Yosho, it said Tenchi.

"Either way, it's still ahead of us, so we have time to think about it."[/spoiler])... so that the

[spoiler]"Will you go out with me"

"eh?"

Minaho smiled a smiling face that Kiyone would make. However, it smile Kiyone would make when planning mischief. "What ??"

If you think about it, Minaho was still Airi's daughter and Kiyone's older sister. [/spoiler] part is moved to the end...

the reason they talk about seina so much is two fold to explain why he isnt there: his girlfreind was just brutally murdered and because widow had just been killed and they are busy receiving widow's soul to make fuku. this relates back to minaho and airi and this is simply because this is set up for their still unreleased novel.
[spoiler]"Tenchi-chan, why don't we take a bath before dinner?" Minaho smiled nicely at Tenchi. Minaho's smile was different from the kind airi would have made, it conveyed no evil intentions.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]"Noike-san, what has Minaho been doing??"
"She's been with Tenchi-sama ever since the moment she arrived... It's like he's been reunited with his mother ..." [/spoiler]

Quoteit also works on resolving nobuyuki's story ark which no one really ever cared about / was shoe horned into ova 3.
nobuyuki had basicly no ark and then they just gave him one so they could more directly tie war on geminar to tenchi. now the literal least interesting comedic backup character and a new character has an arc that encompases like 5 episodes...

I don't disagree there. One of my gripes with Kajishima-sensei's writing style is that he expects people to be current with all other canon works of his. OVA 4 was difficult for me because I'd not read the GXP novels. And I hadn't seen WoG in ages. (My BD set from FUNimation is still sealed in plastic. 😅) So I was having to remember story elements from that during the heavy exposition. At least he did show some imagery from WoG during the exposition, but it was still a heavy dump.

here have a one paragraph spoiler to catch you up

all you really have to know is that [spoiler]miki, seina's girlfriend has just been brutally murdered by tarrant so he isnt there, and that widow, the serial killer who destroyed airi's planet and religeon turned herself in said he captured her and that and wanted to help him so they killed her and are now transferring her soul to make fuku and that seina is basically a bajillionaire cause of that but jurai is more or less borrowing the money and racking up debt with him. also kajishima's airi is a pedo who no one likes thanks to her experience with young yosho. and mikami expecially hates this about her, mikami despite being an obvious lesbian, gets encouraged by widow to throw her hat into the ring to go after seina so she start to do so in her own way. while she was pregnate tsukiko's lover was "killed "(dissapeared) mysteriously by whats implied to be HIMC. so she informally partnered with Dai tennan to raise kiriko but she hates him cause he is an ass. she was going to marry seina because he had no other options in life but that and then he went to space so she keeps using threats of that to get kiriko to stop trying to get seina to go home because she ran away to space to keep away from seina"[/spoiler]

nothing in the novels prepares us for the stuff in the last episode concerning seina
that all is info on stuff that happens post renza arc and pre paradise war/ pre ova 5

QuoteI honestly don't have a problem with Rea. But then I didn't have a problem with Noike either. Rea would have worked better had she been mentioned in OVA 1 or 2.
in an ensemble of developed and strong women, she is a wet blanket.
[spoiler]

Since I'm not versed on the GXP novels, was Shrank's visit covered there?  If so, that's why you likely won't see it in anime form. [/spoiler]

no you think it would be, but it takes place time wise towards the end of ova 4 and only gets a one line mention in the show and novel and a mention in the tenchi crossover episode and novel.
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

August 08, 2019, 09:59:20 PM #146 Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:55:49 PM by WarOmnimon
OH MY GOD NO NOT LIKE THIS...!

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/343054

For those wondering, Keitaro Motonaga (Yes, the same director responsible for Digimon Adventure tri.) has been confirmed the director of Tenchi OVA 5.

I'm legit worried now...
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

Motonaga has directed good stuff in the past like Date A Live. The problem with Tri was the writing.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on August 08, 2019, 10:38:11 PMMotonaga has directed good stuff in the past like Date A Live. The problem with Tri was the writing.

And that's the issue.  Date A Live is literally the ONLY good thing Motonaga has done in recent years.  The rest... Digimon Adventure tri., School Days, etc.  You ain't wrong about Motonaga having directed good stuff in the past, though (Example, ToHeart: Remember My Memories, which I thought was actually pretty good... but then again, that aired all the way back in 2004 so it definitely isn't recent).  He just doesn't direct good stuff at a consistent rate anymore like he used to, which is why I'm worried.