tenchi timeline project!!!

Started by Eff Efferson, January 08, 2017, 11:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
so I've been compiling a timeline for the show while i summarize\translate and a lot of you may be surprised by it.

if you have any dates to add let me know

like kenshis or sasamis age in the sasami omake would be nice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Tenchi Souran had a timeline covering the events in OVA1/2, but you should have most of that information already.

Nope time to translate I guess
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

See how much of it correlates with this: http://tenchi.astronerdboy.com/section-3-1-2-additional-tenchi-muyo-items/

This was rescued from the old AIC forum days and then added to over time.

January 11, 2017, 06:40:41 PM #4 Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:02:40 AM by Fap_fapperson
Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on January 09, 2017, 05:02:06 PM
See how much of it correlates with this: http://tenchi.astronerdboy.com/section-3-1-2-additional-tenchi-muyo-items/

This was rescued from the old AIC forum days and then added to over time.

oo thanks it says  azusa is attacked two years later i have to check over that fact cause that might put part of my timeline off  other then that  most of the dates i got matched theirs lol we even assumed the same year. . the months on this helped alot. i couldnt figure the exact ones from the ova's themselves. but they are wrong on when ova 3 and gxp starts .
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

September 30, 2020, 09:55:07 PM #5 Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:42:46 AM by Nonsuch Ned
yeah, necroposting FTW
:fugyou:

So, antvasima asked if I'd be interested in looking at the timeline on the wiki... it sounded really intriguing, so I've been procrastinating on my home business side hustle (eBay) and working on it for the last few days.

Just noticed an odd wandering "lost year" problem between the old astronerd retrieved one and Eff's. I can't use one or the other because both have an issue that the other doesn't.

The old one has OVA 3 happening in 1994 (giving us a lost year between Here Comes Jurai  and OVA 3

Eff's has it happening like a month after in 1993.

In this case, (story-wise) Eff has to be right. Z is reporting as if it just happened, a decision on Clay is being made right then, it wouldn't have taken a year to deal with erasing his memory. All the construction and Rea being too busy to visit don't make sense if there was a year where nothing else happens.... (sure... the classmate's flip phone is even more anachronistic (or a student have a cell phone at all), but not like something not introduced until 1996 isn't wrong in 1994 either).

But Eff's has a couple other issues. He has Seina getting his pamphlet during Operation Lovey-Dovey. Which is convenient, and explains why everyone is out. BUT, if Seina was born in 1979 (which makes sense- the age difference fits) he would be 14, in 1993- he's definitely 15 when GXP starts. Plus the presence of Seto and Mitoto in both stories. Seto is feasable- but it would require her to DEFINITELY be in two places at once on two ships. The Mirror's purpose is to be secret about their subterfuge- that would make it plainly obvious there are two of them to those they want to keep it quiet (Kuramitsus/ Seniwa for one)

So, I guess it only makes sense to put OVA 3 in 1993 and GXP starting in 1994... but that means a "lost year" of carrot farming and Seina not visiting Tenchi. I guess that makes a bit more sense than the old one's lost year. An entire year for Seina to get to know Noike, not a a month.  But still a little weird.

(as to the issue of graduating "middle school" at 15- no problem with it- Middle school in Japan ends in "9th grade"- not 8th, as it was when we were kids in the US -I think even the US is gravitating to that system administratively these days).

Probably a lot still odd about what I've come up with. that "Billion Years Ago" is still weird. 100 Million seems more feasible

... I put Photon REALLY early (although with an "unknown time" notation) because I really like Eff's article  theory about the Aho Furnace splitting dimensions- splitting off the Earth of Dual. But if time always ran as fast on that side, that would mean a crazy amount of time has passed, like a "sun dying from loss of hydrogen" amount of time. I guess I could just leave it outside of the time line. You'll see I made a new small table for Early Galactic History, I could just mention Photon in between... yeah, kind like that (just thought it up).

I randomly dated Agga Rutter just to put it somewhere. I kinda want it to mention all the works it makes sense to mention.

On the other end, I put Paradise War/last episode later than others might think. I could probably be convinced to put a little earlier.  If Sasami was 9 in 1993, she'd be too old for this [IF you insist on her being younger than 18].  But the "Five Years Late" card in episode 25 definitely dates that to 1995-2000.
Between the time for Banjo's transforming AND the events of PW to occur, that puts their trip to at least in 2002. I'm not as set on the "Sasami turns into Tsunami at 18" rule though. As I see it, I put more stock in the "You can call us Sasami or Tsunami" part of the explanation. I think she still has some time 'til she wants to identify as Tsunami full time.... then again... she sure still looks like a schoolgirl.

I haven't published it, still in my Sandbox. I believe you can all look at it, but not edit it.

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/User:Nonsuch_Ned/sandbox

the old page's content is still basically the same as ever:
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

of course.... it all gets easier if you admit Kajashima simply let his timeline be a little more flexible and if you move everything about 4 years into the future (1992 to 1996- with all dates moving accordingly) Sasami's age makes sense again... as do the phones.
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on September 30, 2020, 09:55:07 PM

In this case, (story-wise) Eff has to be right. Z is reporting as if it just happened, a decision on Clay is being made right then, it wouldn't have taken a year to deal with erasing his memory.

OVA 3 starts immedietly after here comes jurai part 2 Z's conversation with tokimi bleeds into that episode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But Eff's has a couple other issues. He has Seina getting his pamphlet during Operation Lovey-Dovey.
Which is convenient, and explains why everyone is out. BUT, if Seina was born in 1979 (which makes sense- the age difference fits) he would be 14, in 1993- he's definitely 15 when GXP starts. Plus the presence of Seto and Mitoto in both stories. Seto is feasable- but it would require her to DEFINITELY be in two places at once on two ships. The Mirror's purpose is to be secret about their subterfuge- that would make it plainly obvious there are two of them to those they want to keep it quiet (Kuramitsus/ Seniwa for one)

The operation lovey dovey is a guess, it has to be after that though because that's when mihoshi gets in touch with amane as stated by the ova.
Seto and mirror seto start unraveling as soon as seto passes out with washu. which means the one at the home was the real seto and we know from the novels he first encounters the mirror who rememebrs him from visits durring his childhood.

mitoto's apearence in ova 3 is not a solidly canon event. because when she shows up in the crossover episode, the people in the house don't recognise her as mihoshi's mom.
im not saying it didn't happen just that kajishima has bubmled this before, but we know that in the week it takes him to get to the academy minami has already been demoted to cleaning duty. so perhaps mitto is hitching a ride back from earth from ova 3.
now as for seina's age. kajishima is legit so wonky in the first and latest books about his age. after two years he is still 17 while in renza and a few months pass  from the marriage when that's said.  he gives an about 14-15 as age or something... most kajishima characters start their story shortly before their birthday.
http://neoapo.com/characters/14104 most jap sites list him as 15
https://tenchzin.fanbox.cc/posts/709365
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I guess it only makes sense to put OVA 3 in 1993 and GXP starting in 1994... but that means a "lost year" of carrot farming and Seina not visiting Tenchi. I guess that makes a bit more sense than the old one's lost year.  "Billion Years Ago" is still weird. 100 Million seems more feasible
--------------------
They used the exact callender layout of 1994 in 0VA 4. september 1994 started on thursday and ended on saturday.

first ova episode release :September 25, 1993

ova 2 tenchi is at yosho's summer 1993, so goes to school in fall  ova 1 ends in winter, hence kagato's snow not seeming too out of place. so after ova 1 ended it was 1993
Ova 2 was spring 1994 hence tenchi farming carrots, "oh look that's a milfoil!" flowers are blooming. teh true tenchi's cover a few months. then Ova 3 was midsummer 1994, so was GXP ova 4 was fall 1994
no missing year just a mostly missing season explained by the prequel novels.
i might have incorrectly started in 1992 oops. anyways its 1994 so yeah. no problem.
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

October 01, 2020, 08:07:40 AM #7 Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:35:32 AM by Nonsuch Ned
(The small unchanging text on this forum makes it hard to read)

No problem starting in 1992-that fits, everything on your timeline flows great through Operation Lovey Dovey.

Ah, there's one date typo on your side:
(from the timeline)
"september 1993 ova 4 starts its less then a month before noboyuki and rea's wedding as noted in ova 4 ep 1."

(many grammatical typos, but I'm not prefect either ;) )

I don't have a problem with OVA 3 happening in the summer of 1993 and OVA4 happening in 1994.

Whoops, something went funky on my timeline, I meant to change the 1994 listed for OVA3 (old timeline) to 1993- which I agree with you on.

I disagree that Seina went to space in 1993 (13 going on 14). I believe he went in July 1994 (14 going on 15), the wedding happening in September.
(another little point about the school year, the Japanese school year ends in March, begins in April- he still had most of the 9th grade to go... His birthday must be between March and July, just turned 15, would have still been 15 at middle school graduation)

I've always assumed Tenchi simply stopped going to school after he blew it up. He lives at the translocated house, school is still in the city. He's not required to, he doesn't really need to. Not like he's going on to an office job.

As I said, it's feasible for Seto and Mirror Seto to be in two places at once (and agree which was which), but it risks blowing their story.
And it is unnecessary. Yes, Seina going to space has to happen after OVA 3 but it doesn't have to happen immediately after. I don't see a problem with it happening a year later (other than the weirdness of him not seeing Tenchi)

I actually have Seina on "magic planet" (DO THEY EVER GIVE A LOCATION NAME FOR THE PLANET OR CITY?) in early 1997, he would turn 18 at some point between March and July, so he could be calling himself 17 even around then. Definitely works for chapter 15- that's the instance you're talking about them calling him 17, right? ("did a search for "seventeen")

Maybe that sets his magic training a little early, but I'm not sure he's on Recepshi for "months" so much as weeks, and not many really. I'm not sure how much time there is between graduation, blown (shotgun) wedding, and early Renza- but I don't think it's much.
...in my pants

October 01, 2020, 12:26:48 PM #8 Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:31:14 PM by takahata
Here are some critical dates. Events in chronological order

??? -The year when Tenchi had left Masaki Village and move to Kurashiki City.

April 1, 1992- Tenchi starts attending high school

August 1992-  Tenchi accidentally releases Ryoko

September 1, 1992 - Tenchi returns to school

September 1, 1992   Ryoko's criminal file is purge from the Galaxy Police Files

September 1, 1992-   Evening. Ryoko attacks Tenchi as if she was seeking revenge.  She was pretending to be angry. Ryoko destroys Tenchi's school.

September 1, 1992 -  Evening. Ayeka arrives on Ryo-Oh

September 2, 1992 -  The Masaki Residence is place next to the lake below the Masaki Family Shrine

October 1992-    Tenchi turns 16

October 1992 -  After his sixteenth birthday, Tenchi decided to dropout of school with the intent to return. Later Tenchi would change his mind not to return to
                        school.

1993?   -  Tenchi decided to focus on home studies in order to get his diploma. Tenchi takes his time studying due to some honest reasons Washu help Tenchi as
               his tutor.

2000-2004- Tenchi becomes  the associate priest at the Masaki Family Shrine.

The computer which Nobuyuki was installing in OVA 3 episode 1 is a clue that Tenchi had decided to study at home in order to get his high school diploma.

:how: :Hek:

October 02, 2020, 01:52:27 PM #9 Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:27:45 PM by Nonsuch Ned
Just had a revelation... wrote it out in a blog post in the wiki (replacing what I posted here earlier with the improved version)

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:Nonsuch_Ned/Oh!_%E5%84%84_(Oku)_does_equal_100,000,000_NOT_1_Billion!?venotify=created

Lately, I have been looking at the timeline and something has bothered me.

"A Billion Years Ago"

That has been the number used in recent translations to describe how long ago Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure (and the civilization it produces) occurred. (And I am guilty of editing it into pages).

And it's not just fan translations that uses "billion" in an odd way, I recently noticed an odd sentence in the True Tenchi Muyo! Novel- Volume 1: Jurai where Azusa, uses a term like "billions of years ago" in reference to what should be the Great Prehistoric Civilization. That simply doesn't compute to my understanding of the rational timeline of this franchise. NOTHING of remaining significance in this story should have happened "Billions of years ago."

Think about it, it's just not a time difference that makes sense.

I believe it is well accepted that the founding of Jurai happened 150,000 years ago (aprox)

Does it really make sense that the last thing of importance before that happened 999,850,000 years before for that?

The problem

So, where DOES the translation problem of "Billion"/ "100 Million" come from?

I am not fluent at all, but I am master of the modern art of Google-fu.

And I know the world is a little too dependent on Google translate.

I typed in ... and got

1 billion= 10億 (ten Oku)

100mill = 1億 (1 Oku)

but then I swapped it so it was Japanese = English and erased the "1"

億 (Oku) = ...billion!

I found this page about Japanese numbers

https://www.fluentin3months.com/japanese-numbers/

10,000,000    千万    せんまん (senman)

100,000,000    一億 [1億]    いちおく (ichioku)

1,000,000,000    十億  [10億]   じゅうおく (juuoku)

1,000,000,000,000    一兆    いっちょう (icchou)

NO BILLION!

'"So, as you can see, the numbers continue to stack themselves all the way up past a trillion! The biggest difference is that the big numbers are divided by units of 4 (or 10,000) rather than 3 (1,000). So once you get past 10,000, it can be a bit confusing to think of one million as "one hundred ten-thousands" at first."'

You see, "100,000,000" would be thought of something like "1,0000,0000" in Japan.

Solution

So, I propose we (I'll volunteer) do away with references to "1 billion years ago" [in the wiki] and change it back to 100,000,000

Because Google Translate is messed up on this.

億 (oku) does NOT mean "Billion"- it means "100,000,000- when a Japanese author who wants to use a generic term that mean "A really long time ago" he would probably not come up with "Ten One-Hundred-Millions ago"
...in my pants

Double posting to say.... apologies, looks like I was wrong?

I swear, "A billion" simply makes no damn sense logically.
BUT
I found the raws Eff posted in the lower section...

really? WTF?

it (novel 13, Chapter 9: "Zinv") really does write it out as
   「十億!?」
"1 Billion!?"
a number of times

which brings me to the issue that brought me to this subject in the first place and made me think it must be wrong.

In one of Eff's articles (not in the timeline), and Night Before the Carnival Vol.9: Goodbye 21st Century  it was explained that Giant Washu being captured and the story of the Bioroids happened BEFORE Dual, that the resulting war was the destruction of the precursor civilization.

this makes sense to me. Washu would have "just" descended and could be having problems "Shrinking down." The group running away and crashing on Earth, stranding D and Zinv for Dual to find, fits in with a galaxy in turmoil after the bioroid wars.

The Astroboynerd timeline though, has it as happening "150,000+ years ago" - before the founding of Jurai.

I guess this kinda also makes sense. We know Tsunami is sleeping, The "Great" civilization also has to die for Jurai to lead the next.

the problems...
1st scenario: If Washu was captured before Dual, that means she was in confinement for a billion years.  That doesn't seem right. Neither that it would take her that long to get out or even that Tsunami would leave her there.

2nd scenario: If Washu was captured sometime before Jurai's founding it makes for a more believable confinement period. But what had she been doing for the Billion years before? We know Tsunami was passing out seeds to the precursor civilization - what was Washu doing? Why couldn't she figure out how to shrink herself down earlier? What we know about early Washu is the bioroids were made from her gems and vague things in TTM:V.3 about her sensing she had made mistakes in the pasts and had to be careful with her jewels.

And also, simply...

What was the Galaxy doing for 999,850,000 years?!
...in my pants

Being nuked more then a potato in the microwave for 30 minits i presume
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Back to timeline work

The GXP OVA makes the sliding timeline too difficult to ignore, so I'm reworking the timeline on the wiki.

I already have "The Present Timeline" separate from other sections, so I'm reworking it so "August 1992" will be "August - Year 0" (with a note about 1992 being the original year) and will work from there.

That's just a general note- you may comment on it or suggest other possibilities.

I actually have another timeline question.
Mihoshi has a birth year on the timeline (1969 / Year -23)
Does anyone have a source for this?

I've always been unsure about Mihoshi's age. Is Mitoto really supposed to be in her 40's and Mihoshi in her 20's while Minami is hundreds (or thousands) of years old and just decided to wait until the last half century to start having kids?
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on August 03, 2023, 03:56:14 PM
I actually have another timeline question.
Mihoshi has a birth year on the timeline (1969 / Year -23)
Does anyone have a source for this?

I've always been unsure about Mihoshi's age. Is Mitoto really supposed to be in her 40's and Mihoshi in her 20's while Minami is hundreds (or thousands) of years old and just decided to wait until the last half century to start having kids?

Mihoshi was what 23 in 1992? I know I've seen that written somewhere. Seto was 5000 before she had Misaki. So who knows.

The new GXP anime is set in 2005 I think, or could be an earlier year that has the same days as march 2005 does.