GXP Novel Translation Project

Started by Eff Efferson, November 04, 2016, 08:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 04, 2016, 08:18:22 PM Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:49:38 PM by Fap_fapperson
So I'm starting this thread as a place to release my translations of the GxP Novels. I'm interested in reading them and the only way i can read them is to translate them myself. I might as well share.  :goodman:

Now most people have wondered how one would go about doing this. I did it the easiest way possible. I got the Japanese kindle store e-books and converted them to rtf and pdf (rtf for format and Pdf because rtf shoves the furingana into the sentence instead of deleting it).

There all in nice ASCII characters that are easy to put into various online dictionaries. I mean my 2 years of high school Japanese helps, but it really doesn't.  :shepicide:

Anyways these are going to be more or less 80-90% accurate translations. I will put them here as I finish them, For now i got the first chapter done if anyone wants to make a contribution then pm me i guess i don't take money donations but ebooks don't buy themselves. I'm doing this out of boredom and out of a love for the series so they will get out when and if i feel like it but i probably will. It usually takes me an entire day just to translate a single scene  and this took a week total to do (eeeey if u got questions AskMeAnyting)

:siren: :siren: :siren::pcgamer: :parrot::ground:  :parrot::pcgamer: :siren: :siren: :siren:

google translation of the chapter names:
vol 1
    1 "To the Great Universe!"
    2 "Important baggage"
    3 "THE DEVIL PRINCES"
    4 "Dirty mist, sorrowful rain"
vol2
   1 "Academy Dorm"
   2 "Black shadows"
   3 "My thoughts are far"
   4 "Malice Attracted - Again"
   5 "Widow"
   6 "Hunting for humans"
   7 "Past ─ ─ Kiriko case"

Vol3.:
   1 "Earth · Masaki House"
   2 "Morning, Shadow and Light"
   3 "Ceremony of Enrollment"
   4 "Lessons, teachers, senior students, first day"
   5 "Lessons and teachers and senior students · Second day"
   6 "Teacher and older sister, with lover?"
   7 "New residence"
vol4.
   1 "Ringo's Gratitude"
   2 "You can buy it for a while"
   3 "Maid in Inn Amane House"
   4 "Fleeting peace"
   5 "Pleasure"
   6 "Miki and Seina · Aftermath"
   7 "Darkness"

Vol5.
   1 "Selection and reunion"
   2 "Hope and peace"
   3 "Joint exercise trip"
   4 "Baptism of peace and madness"
   5 "Lost and determination"

vol6
   1 "First Experience"
   2 "Spirit and Opinion and Hardship"
   3 "Melancholy"
   4 "First month salary"
   5 "Pleasure"
   6 "Introduction · Part 1 The Stupid Wall"
   7 "Introduction · Part 2 Run away and run away"

Vol7
1 "First time care"
   2 "Run away and run away"
   3 "Pan · Dora"
   4 "To the new battlefield"
   5 "Desertion"
   6 "Settlement"
   7 "Each Pre-fight"
   8 "To Jurai"
   9 "Battle"
   10 "raunchy Show"
   11 "Production"
Vol 8

1 "First time handling / returning story"
   2 "Return to Huridashi"
   3 "Boxed girls?"
   4 "Fuku · Birth"
   5 "Fuku · Vacation in the ship"
   6 "Fuku · First mission"
   7 "Fuku · Child-care struggle"
   8 "Trouble Maker and Legend"
   9 "Fuku · To train special"
   10 "Fuku · escape"
   11 "Fuku · true awakening"
vol 9 (an assload of chapters this is when they go back to earth)
   1 "An incident"
   2 "Round way"
   3 "To the earth"
   4 "To the Yamada house"
   5 "What's in the box?"
   6 "Invitation to the mafia · Mr. guinea pig, come and have it"
   7 "Yamada family and that night"
   8 "To the Masaki house"
   9 "Funaho"
   10 "Masaki family disturbance"
   11 "Washu leisure"
   12 "Reunion · Tsukiko"
   13 "Fuku's Great Adventure"
   14 "Pronunciation"
   15 "Melancholy of Tenchi"
   16 "Masaki family · Nostalgic people"
   17 "Memory of the Snow"
   18 "The moon shines"
vol 10:   1 "Melancholy of Seto"
   2 "Fortune Fleet"
   3 "Melancholy of Rogues"
   4 "To Imim"
   5 "Imime's daily life - part 1"
   6 "Battle / Seiryo versus Tarrant"
   7 "Banquet Again"
   8 "In the Immunity and Immium"
   9 "Start interview"
   10 "Interview / unexpected disturbance"
   11 "In Imim, the second half"
   12 "Daily life of Imoo, second one"
   13 "Im Im · The Last Night"
   14 "Fortune ship launch"
   15 "Fashion Show"
Vol.11
1 "Mother and child"
   2 "Recepushi's Dancer"
   3 "Ceremony of tree selection"
   4 "That name is ... ...."
   5 "Do you want to climb a mountain?"
   6 "Is your child a king?"
   7 "Run away and run away!"
vol12
   1 "A man's landscape"
   2 "Rui Ki"
   3 "The Terminating Era"
   4 "Calling Stray"
   5 "Conspiracy and plot"
   6 "Hiroshi's Old Time"
   7 "Kagamitsu Rampage"
   8 "Battle · Seina and Seiryo"
   9 "Everyday, the calm before the storm"
12:

1 "A man's landscape"
   2 "Rui Ki"
   3 "The Terminating Era"
   4 "Calling Stray"
   5 "Conspiracy and plot"
   6 "Hiroshi's Old Time"
   7 "Kagamitsu Rampage"
   8 "Battle · Seina and Seiryo"
   9 "Everyday, the calm before the storm"

13:
   1 "Trouble"
   2 "The beginning of survival"
   3 "Another fight"
   4 "Residents in the basement"
   5 "For each purpose"
   6 "Awakening"
   7 "Fuku and clones"
   8 "The end of plot"
   9 "ZINV"
   10 "Reunion's Dilemma"
14:
   1 "Welcome to our house"
   2 "Imperial Tree and Mirror"
   3 "Each Shou coming design?"
   4 "Guidelines for coming to Shou"
   5 "New housing listing and consciousness survey"
   6 "Night on the day before graduation"
   7 "Each graduation"
   8 "On the earth"
   9 "Wedding and Happening"
   10 "Back circumstances in the background"
   11 "Follow chase and chase"
   12 "Prologue to next stage"

Translated:
GXP Volume 1:
(Chapter 1 of 4) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yYRQ_EWhUfX7orR_qZq-Pm43azBDEdmz66R0530sJig/edit?usp=sharing
(Chapter 2 of 4) https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UIODMELyDsLQulXJLh8eNLKa8p0tJ-1n2x2MsIYpqUA

(Chapter 3.1)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m4Y0-47YG9rEYYl4O98hUHzByMk1_W7j_NEqdxtzryc/edit?usp=sharing
(Chapter 3.2)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V5dHSLwHjH8pgl5hNqm2KefK8xhcN2w8Gx7io-F5PjI

GXP Volume 11:
(Chapter 1 of 7: Mother and child *currently on pause to summerize translate the novels will return to later*) http://www.uselesstenchi.org/Forum/index.php?topic=1100.msg44670#msg44670

for the google translations :
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I'll probably wait until the volume is done before reading this, but thanks. Keep up the good work.

November 09, 2016, 04:29:41 PM #2 Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:54:09 PM by GP cadet 87
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to do this! I've been wanting to read the GXP novels for ages.

You really need a beta reader, though. All the misspellings and punctuation mistakes made hard to get through.

I can't wait to finally read Kajishima-sensei's writing in English. Here's hoping you continue the great work. :woop:

November 09, 2016, 11:26:52 PM #3 Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:42:12 PM by Y_Anthony_Who
Oooooooooooooooh yeah! That was awesome! I like it more than the GXP anime already! I love it. Thanks for chapter 1!

And for the record it wasn't remotely hard to read.  I look forward to more!

Quote from: GP cadet 87 on November 09, 2016, 04:29:41 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to do this! I've been wanting to read the GXP novels for ages.

You really need a beta reader, though. All the misspellings and punctuation mistakes made hard to get through.

I can't wait to finally read Kajishima-sensei's writing in English. Here's hoping you continue the great work. :woop:
/

oh yeah diffidently  i am super dyslexic. and wordpad doesnt spell check. but i was in a rush to post anyways when i finish the whole book ill spellcheck and fix everything the first chapter was a huge mess in general cause i was still getting used to it. some scenes are great but others are meh due to how literaly i was translating at first
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on November 10, 2016, 03:09:48 PM

/

oh yeah diffidently  i am super dyslexic. and wordpad doesnt spell check. but i was in a rush to post anyways when i finish the whole book ill spellcheck and fix everything the first chapter was a huge mess in general cause i was still getting used to it. some scenes are great but others are meh due to how literaly i was translating at first

Literal translations are great, though. They give us subtleties that are lost in summaries. I particularly love and appreciate the little details in your first chapter. I like Seina more already because of the narration. I understand him better. He isn't cool, but he's normal. I can root for him. I'd love to see him develop as a character. I'll understand if you want to scale back your translations, even summaries are appreciated. I personally hope you decide not to skip the little things, but you are helping us for free so I have nothing to complain about.

:shepicide:kajishima writes some super overly long scenes. like im working on chapter two and it took me 3 days to finish the scene where he calls kai because he writes it even longer and in more detail and honestly it just does not need it. it adds nothing. but he does it for alot of scenes that do and im digging that. he went on for whole few paragraphs before that about how mitoto is probably ocd and cleans because she physicaly can not stand dirtyness
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

November 11, 2016, 09:54:22 PM #7 Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 11:14:47 PM by GP cadet 87
Quote from: Fap_fapperson on November 10, 2016, 03:09:48 PM

/

Hey it's fine. Didn't mean to get on your case. I'm just relieved to see someone finally translating this. I guess seeing all those mistakes after waiting so long just irritated me more than it should have.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this. Don't worry about taking awhile to polish your translation. I'm sure all of us appreciate what you're doing for us.

update: Chapter two is more then half done its taking longer then chapter one due to just general lazyness. its fairly easy to translate now though. It was just a very very very boring chapter in parts to translate. like the scene where he calls kai goes on and on and on and on for no reason.  but on a good note. Mitoto is handled much much much better in the novel. and so is the scene where they are surrounded by piolets i am very excited to almost be finished so everyone can read it.  I'm currently just right after the point where they deploy the energy nets.  ... i feel like i should post summaries for the people who want the details but don't want to read to get them but i don't want to spoil it for those that for some reason do. Kajishima definantly wanted to develop mitoto more then he got to. if he does or not in the later novels i don't know but  its very obvios to me that kajishima sneaks in a lot of subtlety in scenes that does not translate well in visual media or was probably cut out by others. like for instance in chapter one seina getting water for the tire. its in episode one but its not explained and no one knows why he's doing it from the story. there are much more significant things then that but still
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Yeah, the tire scene was illuminating! The little things really add to the total picture, in my opinion. I'm super stoked for chapter 2!

November 16, 2016, 11:23:29 PM #10 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:28:43 PM by Fap_fapperson
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UIODMELyDsLQulXJLh8eNLKa8p0tJ-1n2x2MsIYpqUA

eyyyyy chapter two is up and done and spellchecked this time. ill be going back and retoractivly spellchecking chapter one so about n hour after this post that should be done

I did not expect as much out of this chapter as i ended up getting. this novelisation is absolutely nesssary imo. i see why he did it now.
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Thanks a lot!

Couple thoughts on chapter two:

Google translate suggests "embrace" for that certain word, which seems more likely to me than sex. Just my opinion.

In regards to Seina being able to understand Amane before the nanobot injection, as well as Tenchi understanding characters without such a plot device, my guess is that Japanese was just the language spoken by the Great Prehistoric Civilization that colonized and seeded the galaxy. I feel like the novel Jurai may have further evidence of this. I dunno though, just a theory.

Love all the extra tidbits provided by the narration!

I really really liked Seina's reaction to things at the tart of the chapter. First he thinks it's some kind of elaborate prank, then he's disappointed at how smooth hyperspace is lol.

Very good job. I don't mind if you cut out the filler. I know that the first couple of novels are basically re-telling the anime. I'm just glad that you're translating.

I have moved this topic to the main Tenchi Board until it reaches page 2 or so, for greater exposure.  Then it will be moved back into the library.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.