Somewhere in the middle
1 (33.3%)
Less Yellow than Doki/Raws but more than middle
0 (0%)
More Yellow than test encode but less than middle
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: December 29, 2016, 05:03:53 AM

I'm thinking about re-encoding the OVAs for archival purposes, especially now that OVA 3 BluRay has been announced.

My current files are from Doki. Though I am planning to use raws from Henshin and then apply Doki's subs and maybe (probably) add the English audio.

Reason being, while overall I am fine with the quality of the Doki release, the color bugs me a bit. They removed the grain from the raws, which I am fine with as there is so much grain, it is distracting. But there is just too much yellow for me, in Doki's release and the raws (same colors).

Please take a look at the couple screenshots of Doki's vs my first test encode.

Let me know what you think.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194643
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194645

The color edit made the artifacting around the outlines much more obvious. So I'd say that if you're going to waste the time, you may as well download the Japanese discs and encode it from scratch.

Quote from: shades of blue on December 24, 2016, 08:51:28 AM
The color edit made the artifacting around the outlines much more obvious.

Thanks for your input.

You have a much better eye than me, personally I don't notice much/any quality differences (other than the color) especially when playing. This was the first test so I can play with some settings, though as is, the filesizes/bitrates are fairly close - with mine only being a bit smaller. So maybe I'll increase it a some....

Quote from: shades of blue on December 24, 2016, 08:51:28 AM
So I'd say that if you're going to waste the time, you may as well download the Japanese discs and encode it from scratch.

I had thought about it, and still even may do it, though is a considerable amount of more time.

Any thoughts on the colors?

Personally I prefer 5000K lighting, so the lighter blueish tone appeals to me. You may want to try asking some of the groups that released Ghibli film and Evangelion tv bluray encodes, because a couple of them have rebalanced the color levels with noticeable improvements and could provide you with a wealth of knowledge.

That said, for all of doki's edits, they missed the most glaring mistake by Pioneer. "Tenchi can't be copied". Attached is an edited script using exactly what Truesheol translated long ago, along with an alternative version using the original fansub script and a little revising by me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: shades of blue on December 25, 2016, 04:54:22 AM
Personally I prefer 5000K lighting, so the lighter blueish tone appeals to me. You may want to try asking some of the groups that released Ghibli film and Evangelion tv bluray encodes, because a couple of them have rebalanced the color levels with noticeable improvements and could provide you with a wealth of knowledge.

That said, for all of doki's edits, they missed the most glaring mistake by Pioneer. "Tenchi can't be copied". Attached is an edited script using exactly what Truesheol translated long ago, along with an alternative version using the original fansub script and a little revising by me.

Thanks - I looked groups that have done the above mentioned blurays - Noobsubs, Thora, and a-s were the ones that seemed to intersect - were these or one of these the groups you were talking about?

And thanks a lot for the edited scripts, that spot has always seemed off - Though the regeneration line still sounds a bit...wordy??...I'll probably change it to "I'm unable to regenerate, huh?" or something of the sort...

Alright thanks again, I'll go check it out!