E3 2014

Started by Spudcommando, June 09, 2014, 11:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone keeping track of it? Nothing really surprising so far, I'm hoping Nintendo will absolutely wow me tomorrow though I know that is quite unlikely that is to happen.

One pleasant surprise though is Valiant Hearts a game set in WWI of which there aren't too many of these days, the trailer gave the feels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP8q5F6dFqQ

All I want is a sequel to Ouendan on Wii U or 3DS. lol. But I am looking forward to Nintendo's digital event and hoping for a new Fire Emblem or news on that Shin Megami Tensen x Fire Emblem. That and a set date for Smash Bros. Nintendo usually never lets me down.

Open World Zelda????   :neg: :sotw: :bravo: :Hap:

I'm in!

Nintendo did what they had to do. And it helped that they had the advantage of low expectations. And it isn't very hard to meet them. I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan out there. But simply announcing a new Zelda game, AND Starfox, at minimum would exceed those expectations. Anything more would add to that.

Sony's presentation barring MGSV and Bloodborne nearly put me to sleep, and Microsoft...well they were just being typical Microsoft. I say Nintendo takes this years E3, not that's a particularly high standard to clear here.

Well, in my case, I'm a fairly hard to please guy (at least, when it comes to game announcements). Years of raising my hopes for a certain game only to be dashed by the final product having done that (i.e. Simcity 2013. FUCK YOU EA!). So most developers needed to bring more than their A game for me to be excited about anything. And well, only Nintendo did that and only because unlike everyone else, I wasn't expecting an A. At best a C.

Also, a lot of the 'excitement' got killed thanks to leaks. After all, Bloodborne was leaked before it was finally revealed. Same with Battlefield Hardlines (not that I would have cared about it to begin with, but hey). There honestly wasn't a whole lot new announced. Or in the case of EA, "Hey! We have a new Mass Effect game coming! All we have a concepts so just trust us that it's coming! Also a new IP!" *and then never mention what that new IP is. And I'm sorry. I don't care if you're Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. Going "Hey! We have exclusive... DLC here!" is not a cause for excitement.

Even a lot of what Nintendo announced I've already known, or they shown before. Like their answer to Skylander. It's already been known that Nintendo intended to have their own version of the toys/game tie-in. Since it's been revealed in press releases before when Activision wanted to team up with Nintendo on Skylander, only for Nintendo to go "Nope! We'll just make our own!" Starfox is probably the big 'surprise' from their announcement and so, one of the things that would make me say they won E3 so far. I mean as cool as Zelda is (not the largest fan of Zelda games in general. But let's ignore that for the moment.  :yoshi:), that's one of the things I expected Nintendo to announce. That's like Microsoft announcing a new Halo game. Anything less than that would be the real disappointment.  :rad:

Just skimmed through Nintendo's announcements and the main Zelda has me disappointed. The first thought that came to my mind was Skyrim... on cel shading. I can overlook the stupid Dynasty Warriors spinoff title, but seeing the main Zelda series turn into Skyrim left a bad taste in my mouth. In fact most of their press conference I thought sucked hard. The design of the new Yoshi's Island stole from Little Big Planet. And Smash Bros is just more of the same. The only part that caught my interest was Mario Maker. But it feels like they should have capitalized on a NSMB level editor long before this.

Quote from: shades of blue on June 15, 2014, 11:57:51 AM
The design of the new Yoshi's Island stole from Little Big Planet. And Smash Bros is just more of the same.
Pretty sure its a homage to Kirby's Epic Yarn moreso than Little Big Planet.

Consider me both hyped and disappointed this year. Smash 3DS is now due for Oct release (What happened to my Summer date Sakurai?) and I can't help but feel this was due to the new Amiibo thing Nintendo is trying to pull out. The Amiibo thing leaves me questioning them but I can't help but admit I'll probably end up buying one anyway since I'm a sucker for figures. Spatoon looks awesome, I'm so glad Nintendo is finally making some new IP.

Haven't had a chance to look at Project steam but I wanted it to be Majora's Mask 3D instead or a new Fire Emblem.

Of course no new Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents but hey I'll take what I can get with Splatoon, Star Fox U and Mario Maker.